Israeli desert camo

MarcV

I'm planning to do an F-15C and preferably an early single seat F-16 in IDF desert camouflage.

I can't find any reference photos of the F-15 in this scheme however. Were these only painted in greys or are pictures just hard to find?

I have the F15C from GWH. Is this convertible to an IDF (outside of the camouflage)?

Any advice on which is the best (suitable) F-16 out there would also be helpful and who does good decals for both.

Thanks all.

There's simply no Israeli F-15A/B/C/D with desert camouflage, only the F-15I is painted like that.

I could try to explain this as they're air sup fighters, but it doesn't really work, as they did some air 2 ground when it was necessary, and before them Mirage IIICJ did get desert camo even if they were mainly in the A2A role.

Your GWH F-15C is convertible into an IDF:AF bird, you will just have to choose the timeframe, because they went into some changes during their 40  year service.

Best F-16? Tamiya block 25 maybe, with some help from Wolfpack, and also with Isradecal or Sky's decal.

Thanks so much for your help. This will help me get started. Also the F-15C's role not making the desert colours necessary makes total sense. I guess I'll get the GHW I version although I find the C looks better - the conformal fuel tanks make it look somewhat bloated.

Marc.

23 hours ago, MarcV said:

I'm planning to do an F-15C and preferably an early single seat F-16 in IDF desert camouflage.

I can't find any reference photos of the F-15 in this scheme however. Were these only painted in greys or are pictures just hard to find?

I asked the same question some time ago. Answer is NO for single seater F-15s,  which are painted similar to USAF Eagles.

I have found photos of clean F-15i aircraft, and reckon a conversion from an F-15d is just the paint job.

21 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I asked the same question some time ago. Answer is NO for single seater F-15s,  which are painted similar to USAF Eagles.

It's also NO for the two seaters B/D.

55 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I have found photos of clean F-15i aircraft, and reckon a conversion from an F-15d is just the paint job.

Really depends on how fussy you are regarding accuracy of the various details. The I is based on the E and this differs quite a lot from the B/D

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Really depends on how fussy you are regarding accuracy of the various details. The I is based on the E and this differs quite a lot from the B/D

Appreciate all that.  I'd bet that the rear cockpit instrument panel is VERY different, but not having seen either . . .

Weaponry will be different, hence I said clean.  

The photos I found have no conformal tanks.

The only other external difference I could see, is the bullet atop one of the fins.  The kit I've got has provision for both.

The F-15I has the turkey feathers installed, which the USAF f-15C/D/Es do not.

Both of the tailbooms are squared off for the F-15I - which is not the case for F-15D

Heavier landing gear with different legs and larger wheels

Bulged main wheel wells and bulged front wheel well door

Different airbrake and rear area

Different panel lines on the rear fuselage area

tail hook is below the fuselage instead of flush

several other differences in the various small antennas and exhausts

Then there are a few details that are on all E and were retrofitted to the C/D fleet that may or not be present on the kits available:

no arrestor hook fairing

chimney style JFS exhaust instead of grilles

The F-15I adds other differences, like the presence of chaff/flare dispensers under the tail booms...

As I said, depending on how fussy a modeller is, converting a D into an E or an I can or not be easy... and I've only mentioned some of the differences here

Edited by Giorgio N