Reversed D-day markings?

Andre B

Or is it just an artistic confusion? I havn't seen any aircraft with black/white/black/white/black D-day markins before. They usually be white/black/white/black/white...
http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=352&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=79&Temp=1491&searchString=

/André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

That looks like an artists error; although without a photograph of that P51 to confirm or deny it

However; Hawker Typhoons did wear narrow b/w/b/w/b stripes under the wings for a period as a type & friendly identity marking

36 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

If you click the "previous" button on the link above it takes you to a photograph of that particular aircraft, showing that it does indeed have reversed markings.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Yes indeed! ;)
I only looked at the smaller pictures of that aircraft and from my angle and laptop the first black band more looked like an shadow. But clearly this aircraft had three black bands on the fuselage. For sure an aircraft to build and compete with at IPMS competitions making the judges confused...

Thanks for your attention Mark!

Edited by Andre B

10 hours ago, Andre B said:

Or is it just an artistic confusion? I havn't seen any aircraft with black/white/black/white/black D-day markins before. They usually be white/black/white/black/white...
http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php?Group=352&Style=item&origStyle=list&Item=79&Temp=1491&searchString=

/André

Lovely colour scheme on that Mustang. Do I want one? Hell Yeah!

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Lovely colour scheme on that Mustang. Do I want one? Hell Yeah!

Also consider building this one next time. Just wonder how the D-day bands was painted on the wings? That aircraft clearly stands out! : )

Edited by Andre B

Reading the Operational Memorandum, it is easy to see how the wrongly ordered stripes on a fuselage might occur. The order is not stipulated clearly for the fuselage stripes, whereas it is for those to be applied on the wings. Assumption (that the order of stripes specified for the wings ( "...from center outward: white, black, white, black, white.") ) would be transposed to the fuselage may have been the mother of this particular c*ck up.

Cheers

Steve