RN Phantom & Buccaneer - finished

With the end of my other build approaching and some time to wait while things to dry I've been giving some thought to what to pull out of the stash to build next

Given how pleased I've been by the look of Extra Dark Sea Grey it swayed my thinking towards this pair

IMG_4668_zpsbqsc7s4a.jpg

And pulling everything out of the boxes (I like to prime everything on the sprue to take the shine off and let me better see what I'm doing)

IMG_4665_zpsjzswxyc3.jpg

Next post: questions for the britmodeller hivemind

Edited by LostCosmonauts
changed title
  • Like 7

My current quandaries:

Phantom - the tailfin has the squared off fairing and the instructions call for adding two finlets partway down. I want to do the FAA markings option and photos online show some planes in 70s the appropriate FAA colours without the fairing or fins, with the fairing but no fins, with both. What is a diligent modeller to do?

Buccaneer - I fancy fitting the Martel missiles but struggling to find pictures of them in 70s FAA service in colour. Anyone able to advise on them? 

No aftermarket gubbins so I'm trying to make the kits look halfway presentable with bits and pieces 

Below an in progress attempt to turn the kit seat into something that looks a bit (if you squint) like an appropriate ejector seat

IMG_4681_zpstqtijqng.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Here's the other Matchbox option Phantom that my son built.

I'd say an earlier era.

MatchboxPhantom_zpsidsgpq7u.jpg

And Fujimi that I built - from 1977 Jubilee.  I think you can miss those aerials.

Fujimi_F4K_Phantom_zpskcaww7fs.jpg

Two very nice looking models

Thanks for the answer (& that it was what I wanted the answer to be)

25 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Buccaneer - I fancy fitting the Martel missiles but struggling to find pictures of them in 70s FAA service in colour. Anyone able to advise on them? 

Martel entered service in 1984 - after the FAA had finished with Buccaneers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Martel entered service in 1984 - after the FAA had finished with Buccaneers.

I think you mean Sea Eagle that replaced Martel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

My current quandaries:

Phantom - the tailfin has the squared off fairing and the instructions call for adding two finlets partway down. I want to do the FAA markings option and photos online show some planes in 70s the appropriate FAA colours without the fairing or fins, with the fairing but no fins, with both. What is a diligent modeller to do?

The finlets are an RAF feature so don't include them on a RN Phantom, but the RWR in the square box atop the fin was added as part or a fleet wide upgrade in the mid 70s so are fine on aircraft from 75-79.

• Like 1

So where are we now?

Buccaneer

Major subassemblies have all been cobbled together, seats given a bit of cosmetic tarting up and then it falls together quite rapidly. Thusly

IMG_2683_zpsmsaoqtp6.jpg

IMG_2684_zpsqjc96jlv.jpg

IMG_2685_zpssvtjv3ut.jpg

IMG_2686_zps9jasirgh.jpg

And quite quickly we have something Flying Banana shaped. A lot of filing, filling, sanding and priming to be done but now the Phantom needs to play catch-up

• Like 4

Phantom

Same story as the Buccaneer really - prettied up seats and putting the cockpit together then add all of the subassemblies. No shocks horrors or issues (although the little glazed windows gave me a bit of a worry at first)

IMG_2687_zpsyuf7fmfl.jpg

IMG_2688_zpsjjtjuarr.jpg

The nose looks on the long side and filling it has me plumb out of fishing weights but hopefully it'll look in proportion once it all goes together

IMG_2689_zpsmosvxg8d.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsckirlyat.jpg

• Like 2

On 08/04/2017 at 8:36 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Martel entered service in 1984

Not so!     1974 for RAF and 1975 for Royal Navy.

As alluded to in an earlier post perhaps you were thinking of Sea Eagle?

LostCosmonauts,some good Buccaneer pictures here :

http://forum.keypublishing.com/archive/index.php/t-88864.html

• Like 1

Phantom 

Into the time consuming stuff - started filling, sanding. Filling to reduce the depth of the panel lines and hopefully smarten this bird up

IMG_4729_zpsxbyrnans.jpg

Giving a bit of thought on what loadout to go with - I was musing on all air-air but the kit Sidewinders aren't the best.

Hmmmm...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You're not hanging about with thse two are you? :D

Looking forwards to seeing tne paint go on!

Tony

I'm meant to be taking it easy and I'm not very good at that so am taking my fidgeting out on the workbench :)

Some paint applied last night and today. Some extra dark sea grey and they're starting to look a bit substantial 

IMG_4790_zpsagls5d4w.jpg

I had to drill/file open a couple of intakes which were blank and trim a couple of extraneous fins off of the Phantom. Otherwise pretty as per instructions 

• Like 4

Time to make a push on towards finishing these up so giving up the attempt to make them in parallel 

Phantom gets some paint tweaks and decals. Next time y'all see it it should have microsol on, undercarriage, loadout and a final clearcoat 

IMG_4791_zpsrmmgs5fh.jpg

I'm not 100% sure about the decal on the tailplane pitch indication so am going to quickly check that before applying the Microsol

Looks ok for a pretty elderly Matchbox kit. Presumably the new Airfix one will put it firmly in the shade but I'm currently pretty happy

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 5

A note on the Phantom - I removed this fin on the tail.

IMG_4795_zpsgyfqduxh.jpeg

Most photos show planes in 1977 colours without this  (e.g. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/443534263280026451/) and the fact that taking it off would make decals easier to apply sealed its fate

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

As of last night this is where I got to

Phantom on its feet and the Buccaneer still a work in progress 

IMG_4793_zpsjqvckaao.jpg

Proof I'm slowly learning - checking what pointy and dangly bits foul decals and applying these in a logical order. Old dog -> new tricks

IMG_4794_zpsaj90hwnd.jpg

Not keen on the thickness of the assorted sticky out bits but hopefully a bit of sanding will see it right

• Like 3

Diverse pointy and dangly bits added and accents painted. There was a LOT of swearing, sweating, shaking and rattling as I tried to insert the jet exhausts and they both promptly fell into the body. Eventually retrieved with tweezers, needlenose pliers and the healing power of prayer

Based on pictures added a white tip of the tail which doesn't  appear in the Airfix scheme (someone tell me if that is wrong) I didn't do aluminium leading edges inboard of the wing fold for similar reasons.

Just sat on wheels to get an impression of how it'll sit.

IMG_4800_zpsupdh92oi.jpg

Still to do:

- more paint touch up (especially where I've just noticed that my faffing around to retrieve the exhaust has opened up the seam on the fuselage just there

- tiny bit of black on the wingtips and red on the light atop the fuselage

- trim, drill out and add a lens to the nosewheel

- paint the undercarriage 

- clearcoat, decals, clearcoat

- finish painting, clearcoat and add the Martel missiles

- wheels and doors

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by LostCosmonauts
forgot picture
  • Like 1