Academy 1/72 - P-47D Bubbletop Thunderbolt

Fellow plastic companions ...

Just finished the Academy 1/72 - P-47D Bubbletop Thunderbolt. I think its a little nice model, but the decals are so bad...especially the big front ones, they re thick and they simply do not "glue" or adhere to the model. Next time i ll just buy other decals. I was my first "metal finish" model and i really learned a lot, i conquered my fear of the metal paint and next one will be better.

I just could nt control myself with the weathering, i though of a light weathered model...but in the end it came out a bit beaten, i simply prefer a weathered model, even if its not historically realistic.

Final photos:

Tratado_DSC_5778.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5779.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5783.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5785.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5787.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5789.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5792.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5793.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5794.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5795.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5796.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5797.jpg

Tratado_DSC_5800.jpg

I think it doesn t look awful in the shelf, maybe ill do a little base later to go with the weathering.

Regards,

João Mendes

• Like 32

It doesn't look awful in your photos either, nice job on this, I've done a couple & it is a kit I like. As you have shown, they come up nicely.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Very nice!

I've built this previously (while living in Korea :D) and do remember the Indian head being a bit thick.

It didn't look any near as good as yours though!

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JMMendes said:

I think it doesn t look awful in the shelf, maybe ill do a little base later to go with the weathering.

Looks great! The wethering is OK now, the airplane life at war was in principle rather short, they were no overweathered...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1