Is it really worth? Revell´s 32nd Spitfire Mk. IXc

Hi folks,

those who read my (German language!) review about Revells latest attempt producing a Spitfire in 32nd scale here

http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/spitfire-mk-ixc-von-revell-in-132/

might have wondered about the epic title of this online-build review "Is it really worth?".

Well, frankly written, I am not quite sure ... Revells´s Mark Nine is inferior to Tamiya´s offering ... not doubt about that:
The strange wing bulges for the wheels, the missing armour plating in the cockpit, some minor but nevertheless annoying flash and mould deficiencies here and there - a modern kit of the year 2017 should look better!

But on the other hand: It costs only 27 Euros here in Germany compared to about 100 Euros they ask for the Tamiya-kit!

So, again: Is it really worth?
To give all readers an answer it might be wise to simply build the kit and everyone can proof the taste of the pudding by watching me eating ...:D

To start with -no suprise here- the cockpit:

revell03927spitfiremkb2u3b.jpg

The basic components have not been glued yet - just put into place ...

As can (hopefully!) be seen - I had to fabricate a back armour for our pilot due to this vital part lacking in the kit!

revell03927spitfiremkcnuto.jpg
revell03927spitfiremkyhuk2.jpg

Both fuselage side walls (to be glued in after the cockpit "cage" has been completed) do feature some minimalistic detail:

revell03927spitfiremknrupv.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkj0u18.jpg

For an option with a closed canopy this might be (all eyes closed!) sufficient ... but if you want to display your canopy open, look for detail sets!

Before gluing all cockpit components into the fuselage halves, you will have to detach these two parts from their respective runners - not an easy task due to the massive attachment points (to put it mildly!):

revell03927spitfiremkjauht.jpg

But once done it was only a matter of some minutes with trial and error (not too positive in terms of parts-fitment!) to glue all the parts into place:

revell03927spitfiremkqcuh6.jpg

And since I do like to finish as much subassemblies as possible I also finished the tail wheel (three parts!) and glued it into it´s receptive hole in the left fuselage halve:

revell03927spitfiremkmtufd.jpg

BEWARE: It only fits perfect if glued into the LEFT fuselage - the right fuselage doesn´t have an attachment point that fits the part! But once the halves are mated, everything fits sturdy and without problems! Simply follow the instructions!

That´s how the assembly looks after some 2 hours of modelling:

revell03927spitfiremkh6ugm.jpg

And now it´s time for some paint ...

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 7

Needs work and additions. Yesterday l order some parts from Barracuda Studios for my Tamiya Mk XI. If l knew l needed another seat l would have ordered it. But it is a builders kit, not the shake and back people like. Work on it and it will come out looking good

Hi Calum,

frankly spoken: Me myself I wouldn´t be afraid of the costs and would also prefer the Tamiya kit. Time spent on inferior kits is (normally) time wasted - at least for me.

But on the other hand: I did get the kit as a review sample and wrote my review and after that I simply wanted to know if it really is worth building this kit and what will come out of the box ... that´s why I started this online-build and I am eagerly awaiting the progress ...

Michael

• Like 2

Well, as a modeller, it's good to have a choice.  Spend less money but have to spend some time and effort improving, or spend more money and get it all in the box.  Sounds to me as if there's room for both on the market.

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

Dear Martin,

you are absolutely right: It depends on one´s modelling philosophy what each modeller wants to do: Either spend a lot of money for the (near) perfect Tamiya kit or be more than satisfied with the mediocre Spitfire from Revell for around 30 Euros.

Suum cuique!

I opted for the latter way and I want to show what is possible with a kit out-of-the-box.
But to be honest: I had to make one addition - seatbelts! Since Revell didn´t even provide decals, I choose Eduards STEEL "seatbelts RAF late" to liven up the plastic:

revell03927spitfiremkera9q.jpg

The whole construction (although not "top modelling" I must confess!) with the Tamiya jar "Cockpit Green (IJN)" in the background - for me the perfect choice when dealing with RAF interiors!):

revell03927spitfiremkgdbj4.jpg

The seat inside the starbord fuselage half:

revell03927spitfiremk7rbir.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkq6az6.jpg

A last look at the instrument panel with kit supplied dials ...

revell03927spitfiremkwllkp.jpg

...before I close the cockpit section:

revell03927spitfiremk2hldh.jpg

Prior to mating both fuselage halves I had to glue in the access door:

revell03927spitfiremklqy9z.jpg

... and smear some paint on the interior:

revell03927spitfiremkr7a9r.jpg

Everything ready to be closed:

revell03927spitfiremkipz1q.jpg

To be continued by your humble thumb-fisted modeller...

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 7

I'd check the crow-bar colour for a wartime aircraft, they were not red but rather left in unpainted metal

Crowbar colour aside, the cockpis sure isn't particularly detailed from the box, I've seen 1/48 Spitfire kits with better detail. Actually I feel that some 1/72 kits offer more detail...

At the same time this kit is sure not meant to compete with the Tamiya one, as the price indicates. I can see many modellers being tempted by the cheap price and using this kit to do multiple builds.

• Like 1

Once everything was in place it was time to close the fuselage halves and carry on with some minor corrections.
Gluing the two really big parts together was absolutely trouble-free and I encountered no problems whatsoever!

revell03927spitfiremkiwzcs.jpg

revell03927spitfiremk9xaxx.jpg

"Down under":

revell03927spitfiremk1vypo.jpg

The cockpit:

revell03927spitfiremknwb5q.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkmkysi.jpg

That´s it so far ... I will update this online-build.

Michael

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I'd check the crow-bar colour for a wartime aircraft, they were not red but rather left in unpainted metal

Yes, you´re right! I was simply tempted to add some colour inside the closed cockpit ... that´s it!

As I stated earlier: This is meant as a fun build to show what´s possible out-of-the-box so please forgive my ignorance ...:unsure:

24 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I can see many modellers being tempted by the cheap price and using this kit to do multiple builds.

Dear Giorgio,

which includes me too: I got the actually built Spit as a review sample but I will definitely buy another one to be detailed with Quickboost seat, Quickboost exhaust (you will see later, why this is absolutely necessary!), Master guns and Eduard photo-etch - to be finished as a Greek one from their 1949 civil war!

And, of course, this time the crow-bar will be correctly coloured - promised! ;)

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 2

I've just given up and ordered one despite having a Tamiya Mk. IX and 2 PCM Mk. IX's in the stash mainly because I want to build several different Spitfires and could not justify spending a lot of money on multiple Tamiya purchases.

Having just completed two Hobbyboss Mk. V's and finishing off a Mk.II I have used lots of Barracuda detail parts which will be just as useful on the Mk. IX.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

After glueing the fuselage it was time for some filler - first some sinkmarks needed their attention and secondly I produced another "filler spot" by "hacking" and filing my way through the upper nose´s construction (ham fisted I´d say! :unsure:):

revell03927spitfiremkydz79.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkanb64.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkb4ydd.jpg

In the end everything looked at least passable and I closed the canopy (no way of displaying it open due to the poor details inside!) and masked it for the first layer of paint (Interior Green, Tamiya):

revell03927spitfiremkulyei.jpg

revell03927spitfiremkb2a3t.jpg

The whole construction so far:

revell03927spitfiremkdaxww.jpg

Of course I managed to break off the tail wheel ... :nah:

revell03927spitfiremkafyij.jpg

It will be reattached after the painting and decaling is done!

The radiators were next on the agenda - interesting that Revell used the one from their Mk. II and added a new sprue with a second radiator.

revell03927spitfiremkzqy56.jpg

And, as can be seen, the "old" radiator features some flash:

revell03927spitfiremkgbaqs.jpg

Radiators drying I turned my attention to the construction of the wings:

revell03927spitfiremkbgyvd.jpg

An easy task - no problems whatsoever encountered!

And I was "in the mood" for more so constructed the prop:

revell03927spitfiremk4jzw7.jpg

Frankly I am not quite sure about the prop´s direction - it can only be glued in this way but it looks dubious to me:

revell03927spitfiremkpvz7j.jpg

revell03927spitfiremknwa1v.jpg

Anyone with more knowledge about "Spitfire" to the rescue?

Props ready (although maybe wrong?) the undercarriage legs were next:

revell03927spitfiremktaaxl.jpg

Nothing too spectacular and more or less only basic I opted to add some break wiring and drill the eyelet on the legs:

revell03927spitfiremk59yro.jpg

And to finish my work so far I did the horizontal stabilizers - Revell constructed them in a way to allow Mk. II and later versions with the same parts:

revell03927spitfiremkosy9z.jpg

Really clever I´d say!

revell03927spitfiremkywzyj.jpg

And that´s all for now ... I did all these during the last week and whenever I will do some more work on my Spitfire I´ll keep you updated.

Enjoy the Easter/Pessach weekend

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener
  • Like 2

Coming along nicely,.....I`m onto my second one and I think that it is well worth the asking price. I have left my tail wheel off until the end for the very reason that you have highlighted,..... sorry that yours snapped!

All the best and good luck with the build,,.....you may need plastic card shims for the wing roots when you fit them,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

Oh by the way: Why the guys at Revell choose to do the u/c leg in two parts is beyond my understanding: This way you first have to glue these parts togetherwith the necessary cleaning up in an awkward place and second you do inherit a weak spot! I opted to (hopefully!!) strengthen this unnecessary join by using superglue over it and the mess will (also hopefully) be invisible once the undercarriage is in situ...

Michael

Thanx a lot isaneng! Your answer helps a lot because I am not really an expert in Spitfires and the prop simply "looked wrong" to me. So your positive confirmation that anything is right is much appreciated ....*sigh*

Michael

Edited by Der Lingener

Looks really nice so far, guess my tail wheel would suffer the same fate.

A well made Spitfire Mk.IX in 1:32 for a good price is worth for some thoughts.

Looks like Revell copied Airfix's 1/48th UC leg attachment,  which was a very poor choice in 1/48th...

prop,  and other general details

11119962003_7feac13528_o.jpg

note also that the outer wheel part of the wheel well is the underside colour, not interior green.

the inner oleo leg part of the well (ie inside the wing) should be painted aluminium, as should the inside of the flaps....which are only dropped on the ground for servicing, pilots got 'fined' a round of drinks in the bar for forgetting to raise them!

UC legs/inside of UC doors were either aluminum paint, or later, the underside colour

7617060184_3fb64dd173_o.jpg

for more

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694588

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694939

I appreciate it's a simple build Michael, but maybe of use, if not to you, to other members.

Neat work and an interesting and useful build, highlighting the good and bad.

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
tidy up, adds
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Looks like Revell copied Airfix's 1/48th UC leg attachment,  which was a very poor choice in 1/48th...

prop,  and other general details

11119962003_7feac13528_o.jpg

note also that the outer wheel part of the wheel well is the underside colour, not interior green.

the inner oleo leg part of the well (ie inside the wing) should be painted aluminium, as should the inside of the flaps....which are only dropped on the ground for servicing, pilots got 'fined' a round of drinks in the bar for forgetting to raise them!

UC legs/inside of UC doors were either aluminum paint, or later, the underside colour

7617060184_3fb64dd173_o.jpg

for more

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694588

and

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694939

I appreciate it's a simple build Michael, but maybe of use, if not to you, to other members.

Neat work and an interesting and useful build, highlighting the good and bad.

cheers

T

It is still a poor choice regarding those gear legs, i build the Mk2 of Revell and i set those legs with slow setting two component epoxy for ease of alignment...

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Dear Troy,

now,that´s what, in my more than humble opinion, are onlie-build-articles for: Learning from others!
Thanks for the colours - I´ll definitely will paint my Spitfire according to your hints!

As for the dropped/not dropped flaps: I have not really decided yet wether to drop them (they were only dropped on landing or for maintenance?) or not: They are structurally not the best representations (so don´t drop them!), but they are unfortunately not the best fit ever (so drop them!).
Time will tell ...

Meanwhile I have to prepare Easter so no time for modelling ...

• Like 1

I keep telling myself that I don't need another 1/32 Spitfire, but at that price I don't think I'll be able to resist for very long. Even with the addition of some cockpit extras from Barracuda it's still going to be about half the cost of the opposition.

I think the rivet representation on the fuselage is overdone but that can easily be overcome with some Mr Surfacer and wet'n dry.

• Like 1