Airbrush suggestions, not modelling related.

Dazzio

Hi all,

I know there's 1001 posts about what airbrush is a good suggestion, however this one comes with a little twist.

My girlfriend has started her own cake business, she's doing really well. However, she has got to the point where an airbrush would give her cakes that little bit extra "wow" factor.  Now, she loves my airbrush - H&S Silverline Evo 2in1 (great shout Paul at LittleCars BTW). However we both agree, that would be probably over kill for what she wants it for. She's used an Neo by Iwata that I've... "Borrowed" (Stolen) from my old job and liked it. However due to the stuff that's been put in that one, she can't use it for food (trading standards would flip allegedly).  So I'm wondering if there is an alternative to the Neo for the same price range-ish? Also do the mini-compressors actually work? Something about them puts me off. My girlfriend has had suggestions about kits from Lakeland and other cake shops but I don't trust them as far as I can throw a Challenger II, nor does my girlfriend. So she's asked me to ask the people who actually use them and trust their input. input.

So lads and lasses, what's your thoughts or input??

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I normally point people to the Sparmax GP-35.  Trigger brush, not as fine line as the Evolution 0.2mm nozzle, but down to a couple of mm. Side fed cup that can be angled and a preset handle on the back.  Price is £90

The other option is to go for an H&S Ultra (£60 / £80)  & let her use your preset handle for the fiddly bits...if that is allowed.

Cassie Brown range of colours are great for normal use, ready to use in vallejo type bottles.  For heavy use you can use the Kopykake range of colours that are supplied in 114ml bottles.  

Paul

Edited by little-cars
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Paul for the suggestions. I'm thinking the Ultra is the way to go, the nickel plating is a bonus, food hygiene wise.  I'm assuming that the parts are cross compatible between the Ultra and Evolution? I'm thinking the 2 in 1 is better for her as that way she can have my 0.4 nozzle (never used it) and I can steal her 0.2 that way we both have spare needles/nozzles.

On a semi-related note, I went to Cake International show today. My gf was hoping to get an airbrush there. I straight refused to let her buy any as the shops where asking £100-£200 for a set with your standard generic Chinese single action airbrush. When I tried them, I wasn't impressed. Then I asked the guy about what pressures to use and how to stop tip drying, he looked at me as if I was talking another language! That sealed the non-buying deal for me. Don't think he liked the fact I showed people that they could buy the same airbrush for £15 on eBay... Evil bugger I am ;)  Ever thought of going there Paul? With your friendly advice and modelling tools (which will help cake modellers) you'd literally make a killing! There's some good looking ladies also. ;)lol

Kind Regards,

Dazz

2 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Thank you Paul for the suggestions. I'm thinking the Ultra is the way to go, the nickel plating is a bonus, food hygiene wise.  I'm assuming that the parts are cross compatible between the Ultra and Evolution? I'm thinking the 2 in 1 is better for her as that way she can have my 0.4 nozzle (never used it) and I can steal her 0.2 that way we both have spare needles/nozzles.

On a semi-related note, I went to Cake International show today. My gf was hoping to get an airbrush there. I straight refused to let her buy any as the shops where asking £100-£200 for a set with your standard generic Chinese single action airbrush. When I tried them, I wasn't impressed. Then I asked the guy about what pressures to use and how to stop tip drying, he looked at me as if I was talking another language! That sealed the non-buying deal for me. Don't think he liked the fact I showed people that they could buy the same airbrush for £15 on eBay... Evil bugger I am ;)  Ever thought of going there Paul? With your friendly advice and modelling tools (which will help cake modellers) you'd literally make a killing! There's some good looking ladies also. ;)lol

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Needles & Nozzles are compatible. The Evo 0.4mm needle, nozzle aircap set should work on the Ultra The only thing to remember with the Ultra is the spring behind the trigger is a little stiffer than the the Evo due to the design. For most beginners this is a good thing as it gives a bit more control over the paint flow. But probably not a major problem.

I've been looking at the craft & cake markets, shame the show was this weekend, or I may have gone.   I'll have to see how much the November one is !  One of my suppliers was at this weekends show,  I'll ask them how it went...

Paul

• Like 1

Well thats confirmed the Ultra for me then.  Thank you for your help Paul.  You'll be getting an order soon. :)

I reckon you would do really well in the cake markets.  They use similar tools to us modellers so it's not like you would have to buy anything new in.  I do actually buy paintbrushes and eye droppers for my other half.  The only airbrush people I saw at the show where Shesto and Cassie Brown was behind them (so my gf told me) and also Ningbo Haosheng Pnuematic Mach. Co ltd.... that was a mouthful!  I there was another airbrush company there (the one I annoyed) but I can not for the life of me remember who it was.  I wished you was there however, just so I could've got my other half to test out all the airbrushed you do when you do your stall.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

1 hour ago, Dazzio said:

Well thats confirmed the Ultra for me then.  Thank you for your help Paul.  You'll be getting an order soon. :)

I reckon you would do really well in the cake markets.  They use similar tools to us modellers so it's not like you would have to buy anything new in.  I do actually buy paintbrushes and eye droppers for my other half.  The only airbrush people I saw at the show where Shesto and Cassie Brown was behind them (so my gf told me) and also Ningbo Haosheng Pnuematic Mach. Co ltd.... that was a mouthful!  I there was another airbrush company there (the one I annoyed) but I can not for the life of me remember who it was.  I wished you was there however, just so I could've got my other half to test out all the airbrushed you do when you do your stall.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Glad I could help. I did meet Cassie Brown on Shesto's stand  at the CHSI show a few years ago and was glad to say she also ended up with red hands after demoing airbrushes with her brand of airbrushable food colourings.  

Thanks, Paul

Pa 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Airbrush arrived this morning, thank you. I've already raided the 0.2 nozzle ;)lol.

In the package was a yellow cap for cleaning. Stupid question, but what's it for? Is it to stop leakages or do a backflush?

Kind Regards,

Dazz