Weapons Straps

Gordon J

Hi all,

I have been trying to get into 1/35th figure modelling recently and I am wondering what the best method for producing realistic weapons straps is?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

Gordon

Hi, Gordon. 

How about the metal "foil" covers you sometimes find around the top of wine bottles? The ones that seem to be there to keep dust off the cork. Hammer it out until it's reasonably thin and then cut it to the right wide & length. 

Hope this helps.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
To add some extra info.

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Gordon. 

How about the metal "foil" covers you sometimes find around the top of wine bottles? The ones that seem to be there to keep dust off the cork. Hammer it out until it's reasonably thin and then cut it to the right wide & length. 

Hope this helps.

Chris. 

Hi Chris,

Metal foil from the top of wine bottles! I would never have thought of that.

Need to take up drinking now. :smile:

Thanks for the advice.

Gordon

I’ve not done any figures for years, but for straps and harnesses on aircraft I use very thin lead sheet. Not as tasty (or as cheap) as using wine foil, but being softer, I feel it gives a better result.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Raw-Materials/Metal/Item/Lead-sheet/ITM1076

Comes in 0.1 and 0.5mm thicknesses.

It’s a bit pricey, but will last you for ages. Extremely easy to cut with a steel rule and sharp blade and glues easily with superglue. Being lead, it can be folded, bent and draped into any shape you want.

If you want your straps even thinner, you can roll it out like a piece of pastry using a hard surface and a metal rod or a round metal knife handle.

Mart

Thanks for the advice re: lead sheet and the link Mart.

I do not have anything like this but it looks like the perfect thing to try.

Gordon

I've found that the foil from wine bottles is a bit thick. My preference is the metallised plastic from the top of instant coffee jars. Modelling straps from kneadtite green stuff works too, as it will lay flat, and form to the body of the figure.

6 hours ago, Mitch K said:

I've found that the foil from wine bottles is a bit thick. My preference is the metallised plastic from the top of instant coffee jars. Modelling straps from kneadtite green stuff works too, as it will lay flat, and form to the body of the figure.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the advice re the foil from the top of wine bottles and weapons straps.

What is Kneadtite? Is that the same as Magic Sculpt? Can I buy it in the UK?

I have some Magic Sculpt and although I have seen and read of modellers using Kneadtite to sculpt figures it is not a product I have used or ever seen.

Gordon

15 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the advice re the foil from the top of wine bottles and weapons straps.

What is Kneadtite? Is that the same as Magic Sculpt? Can I buy it in the UK?

I have some Magic Sculpt and although I have seen and read of modellers using Kneadtite to sculpt figures it is not a product I have used or ever seen.

Gordon

Gordon, try looking in places where wargamers or roleplayers buy miniatures (I mean on the 'net, not GW!). It's two-pack epoxy putty, you mix the yellow and the blue bits and away you go! It's vastly easier to sculpt with than milliput, but remains slighlty flexible after it cures so you can't sand it.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:01 AM, Deadman Disciple said:

If scratchbuilding your own does not work.

Take a look at Live Resins range.

http://www.live-resin.com/

Ive bought from them before & the detail is well tasty.

Wayne

Just a heads up, but bits of that site are very much NSFW!

5 hours ago, Mitch K said:

Just a heads up, but bits of that site are very much NSFW!

Hahahahaha!

Find out the hard way did you? lol

Gordon

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 10:24 AM, Deadman Disciple said:

Not sure how a model accessories shop would be NSFW?

My apologies if it got you into trouble.

Wayne.

If you go into the 1/35 scale figures tab the first thing that appears is a nude woman with an AK47...

On 15/04/2017 at 10:27 PM, Mitch K said:

If you go into the 1/35 scale figures tab the first thing that appears is a nude woman with an AK47...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually bought that figure  :wub:  You know, there are some thing you just can't explain!  Eventually I decided that I didn't have the skills for the paint job and sold it on.  Lovely casting though!

What about everyday masking tape? Fold it in half, so there are no sticky bits, paint it the chosen colour, when dry use a new blade in the knife with a steel ruler and cut to desired length and width. Works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

What about everyday masking tape? Fold it in half, so there are no sticky bits, paint it the chosen colour, when dry use a new blade in the knife with a steel ruler and cut to desired length and width. Works for me.

I have used it, but for me in never drapes right.