Six thousand and counting!

GordonD

Today (7 April) marks the 6,000th day of continuous occupation of the International Space Station.

Though some crews were aboard temporarily during the very first stages of assembly, the first resident crew (Expedition 1) arrived on 2 November 2000, and there has been a manned presence in orbit ever since. We're now in the closing stages of Expedition 50, when three of the six astronauts currently aboard will return to Earth (due Monday) and we move onto Expedition 51. Within the next few days Peggy Whitson will overtake Scott Kelly's record as the American who has spent the most time in orbit (520d 10h 23m).

Nope - see below

• Like 1

That's a hell of an achievement, I didn't realise it was that long - nearly 16.5 years!.

If the world powers stop throwing high explosives around, hopefully we may be able to afford to take the next step, to Mars.

On 07/04/2017 at 9:34 AM, GordonD said:

Within the next few days Peggy Whitson will overtake Scott Kelly's record as the American who has spent the most time in orbit (520d 10h 23m).

:oops:

When I wrote the above I overlooked Jeff Williams, who is the actual holder of the longest time in orbit by an American astronaut. He has 534d 2h 50m, so Peggy will have to wait another two weeks to take the title. Kelly holds the US record for a single mission, with 340d 8h 42m. (The overall record is held by Valeri Polyakhov, who spent 437d 17h 58m in orbit from January 1994 to March 1995.)

However within the last week it has been agreed that Peggy Whitson will remain in orbit until September, rather than coming home in June as originally planned.