Tamiya 1:48 mosquito

Joss

Hello lads and gentlemen.

Im going to build a 1:48 mosquito by tamiya, it will be good to have you along.

I started this on the 29th march 2017 (you can check the picture dates) but have only just got around to uploading!

Heres a photo of the kit and a couple of items I've acquired,

IMG_20170329_195415

Aries wheel bays.

IMG_20170329_195655

Decals

IMG_20170329_195649

Not sure which one to go for I've ruled out the silver one though :hmmm:.

The green/grey F*EG is just a classic mosquito.

The night fighter green grey black will be a good exercise in painting black (never done before...)

And the Banff strike wing just look cool with all them rockets!!!

Let me know what you guys think i should go for!

I've also got a little bit of work start,

IMG_20170329_212153

Thanks for looking more to follow soon (:

Joss

• Like 2

Nice progress Joss,

i went for the 1/48 tamiya kit, fits like a dream, those rockets do look good.

• Like 1

Looks as if you're off to a good start there Joss. As for the decal options; well I'm highly biased due to the Banff Strike Wing being close to where I live but they do look cool with all those rockets and weathered paintwork ;) 

• Like 1

hi guys sorry I have replied sooner my phone has given up the ghost, so I've been off grid while waiting for it to be fixed...

Anyway I've been reading up on the history of squadrons and I think im gunna with the night figther one. This is due to the fact that it served at Ford airfield which is where my great grandfather served in ww2.

I've worked out that it is a mkii night fighter which the decals depict but not sure if the seriel matches to the time. I'll carry on digging... If not ill just go for a close match.

Im considering doing another mosquito at a later date as a Banff one because its been such a hard choice! Thanks for the input everyone. More to follow soon

Joss

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, phones back and I can crack on with documentation.

I've done the interior which is below and Im just sealing her up. I've the left hand wing together.

But managed to break the rad of the second wing (think I sat on it :dull:). The wheels have been base coat then the treads painted over with grey then a thinned coat of black for a worn look.

More to follow she should start to fly along soon....

IMG_20170427_143757IMG_20170427_143821

Not 100% happy but just want to get her moving now really...

Thanks for looking,

Joss

• Like 5

Great start with your build. I like the option you have chosen for the decals. If I am not mistaken it was a NF II, but without antenna's. As it was flown over enemy territory.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great start with your build. I like the option you have chosen for the decals. If I am not mistaken it was a NF II, but without antenna's. As it was flown over enemy territory.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers,

Thanks arniec, the info with the decal sheet say that it's a night fighter so I've add all the stuff thats in the tamiya kit :)

Joss 

She's altogether now a ready for primer to check for the flaws :)

A quick question how would one tackle the landing gear I've painted the wheels but not sure how to do the landing gear? To I paint then glue or glue then paint?? 

Joss

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joss said:

She's altogether now a ready for primer to check for the flaws :)

A quick question how would one tackle the landing gear I've painted the wheels but not sure how to do the landing gear? To I paint then glue or glue then paint?? 

Joss

I painted mine prior to fixing in, it allowed a me to get a good covering on all areas and also the tank that sits on them. I had also painted the wheel housing prior to building.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I painted mine prior to fixing in, it allowed a me to get a good covering on all areas and also the tank that sits on them. I had also painted the wheel housing prior to building.

Thanks Ozzy I shall try that method!! 

Joss

• Like 1

I haven't forgotten about this one. I ordered some masks as the canopy was a pig to try and mask...

And she's been sprayed with some ulimate primer so I've got to let that cure for the next day or so then onwards. Here a few photos,

IMG_20170511_133149

IMG_20170511_133102

Thanks for looking

Joss

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

It's looking stunning with the primer down! 

Thanks DAG, I don't think there's a colour scheme that doesn't suit the mossie!! 

Abit more progress on this one underside painted,

I lighted to a mid grey then a light grey before several thin costs of NATO black.

IMG_20170513_161837

IMG_20170513_162807

IMG_20170513_164834

That's all for the moment 

Thanks for looking any suggestions welcome

Joss

• Like 3

Right underside is masked off and now the top ocean grey has been sprayed and highlighted

IMG_20170515_210019

IMG_20170515_205956

Seeing as the decal sheet says she was used Malta I have gone for a strong fade effect as the paint on would have probably faded alot? I dunno just going with abit of artistic liscening ;)

Regards

Joss

• Like 3

And the green has been applied, I tried to apply it free hand but it looks rubbish so bluetac to the rescue!!:hobbyhorse:

Anywho here's a few pics;

IMG_20170515_224853

With the mask and green applied...

And the next morning.

IMG_20170516_174647

IMG_20170516_174657

Got to get a rattle can of gloss varnish but have Thursday of work so I can get that down and then hopefully start on the decals 

Any comments or suggestions welcome as always!

Regards 

Joss

Joss, looking great.. I just finished the same kit as a 418Sqdn RCAF bird TH-V, I used some Eduard brass and brass gun barrels, they are really cool.... I see the resin you installed, can I ask what add on kit that is and where did you get it, I like the looks of the wheel well items.....

Jeff

Thanks jeff!! 

Ern I think they are Aires wheel bay set of the top of my head :hmmm:

I do like the brass barrel I used some on my P38 build add such an extra layer of detail.

Have you posted your mossie? Would be cool to see it!

Regards

Joss

Hi guys decals are nearly on couple more to go, a little sneaky peak...

IMG_20170518_144329

Roundels don't seemed to have settled so may remove them and spray them. Just incase anyone know of any tips to make em settle down?

Thanks for look

Joss

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, colin said:

Micro-sol is a not too aggressive decal softner, although Tamiya decals a known to be on the thick side, so you may need a few attempts with it

Thank Colin I've just purchased some of the old evilbay. I have to admit Im using aeromaster decals which I find to be nice decals, I've used them before with microset on a Mustang I build no problems! Ill give the microsol a go and see what happens.

Many thanks

Joss

• Like 1

On 2017-5-28 at 15:17, DAG058 said:

Your Mossie is looking too notch Joss. Did you managed to get hold of your new decals? 

Thanks DAG I've decided to stick with the current ones and nuked them with microsol and they've settled down.