Bronco Models 1/35 YW-750 Armored Ambulance

veiKyuL.jpg

Wanting my model to look battered and poorly-maintained, I decided to use the hairspray technique to achieve a realistic scraped/chipped paint effect. So far, I have given the model a coat of Tamiya Dark Iron, followed by light over-sprays of German Grey and Vallejo ModelAir Rust. Then, a coat of hairspray was applied.

Edited by Sairou

nFEBCwH.jpg

A layer of Tamiya Deck Tan was applied, and then Buff, and then lightened Buff. The aim was to achieve a varied paint  finish, but due to airbrush problems it didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it.

FvEBQil.jpg

Then, with some water to reactivate and a little too much scrubbing (Perhaps I let the paint dry for too long?) I chip and wear the paint. I would say that this technique looks a little over-the-top how I have done it, but to my eye it looks decent, and will benefit from further weathering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shatters said:

Would a vehicle displaying the red crescent be allowed to carry weapons ?

Phil

According to Bronco Models, yes. Although there isn't exactly a wealth of images on the internet, restored examples show a gun mount, however i do not know if it was Iraqi practise to use heavy machine guns on ambulances. 

YW-750_ambulance.png

Regardless, I'm going to include it, as the gun included in the kit is very nicely portrayed and adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the whole piece.

Edited by Sairou

My narrative for the piece is something along the lines of an old Iraqi vehicle that survived the Gulf War, only to be used again in the Iraq War, or perhaps in a Syria-esque conflict. So, the weathering will represent a worn, rusty vehicle.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, shatters said:

Would a vehicle displaying the red crescent be allowed to carry weapons ?

Hi Phil, ambulances and medical personnel are allowed to carry weapons for self defence and defence of their casualties and not for offensive operations.

Sairou,

Great build mate, and the weathering looks just like the ones I seen in Iraq in 2003. Thanks to your build my stash has just increased :D

Edited by spitfire1677
  • Like 1

Cheers Chris, it's a lovely kit. I was going to attempt the camouflage paint scheme, but I decided I was happy with it in one colour as I was painting. 

Tracks are on, and I'm a little disappointed that when I re-attached the idler wheels (They came off due to having a tiny attachment point) I placed them wrongly, and although this isn't the biggest deal, it is a bit annoying. 

Anyway, there is a bit more work to be done with the track placement and weathering, and I also need to attack the track guards.

TXPpj6Q.jpg

9aMMwFn.jpg

51e2a0J.jpg

Ibd3Nj4.jpgQ5Yvnad.jpg

xMnZik1.jpg

jKG9fZA.jpg

FuAa8yT.jpg

A final update for today, apologies for the poor-quality photos. I had a brief scare with one of the tracks, which decided to disintegrate somewhat (The workable tracks in this kit are good, but delicate). Other than that I put the sides skirts on (they are a little iffy but that fits the brief of this build) and applied some filters to the model.

O51VC8q.jpg

e7xobr9.jpg

7bXVpLz.jpg]

sJlmkVx.jpg

Progress for today,  which is mostly just coats of varnish. Maybe it will need another coat of matte varnish in a few places, maybe not. 

Up next are rust and dust effects. However, I will leave it as is for now, due to something a bit more important occupying my time-

53gtnvV.jpg

All this exam stuff is getting a bit real, innit?!

Did some rust effects, and I'm not sure if I entirely like them. However, I am pleased with the effect in a few places, and will work some more on it tomorrow.

RQRVGkh.jpg

I'm happy with this side, apart from the wheels.

aa2MNTI.jpg

Not happy with this side to be honest, will work more to make it look better.

uotntlp.jpg

The front needs some work...

HHCyONN.jpg

I'm happy with how the back turned out.

GnveMru.jpg

The top also needs some work.

Have been tinkering and rectifying the problems I had with it. A word of advice to people who may want to build this kit- Once you have the tracks on, leave the model alone! They're very delicate!

SwMBXHG.jpg

added some streaking effects and worked on the rust a bit more. It's a rather haphazard process since I am sort of experimenting with the product.

VCzFbsC.jpg

I have weathered the other side a lot more to my liking than before.

• Like 1