Some F-35 Servicing in Turkey?

JohnT

I was having a browse of the BBC news web site and came across this report today 6 April

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39501299

Now I confess I don't quite understand why the F-35 raises hackles quite so much as it does.  I suspect once its a mature system it will do a job.  However I did raise a Roger Moore sized eyebrow at this report.  Not sure if I was in Govt I would be delighted to see servicing head there all things considered.  The "business speak" in the report is far from re-assuring. 

However I nearly didnt post this as i feared this will turn into a bash/defend the F-35 at all costs debate but thought

a its a topic of interest and

b someone else will and at least I can add a plea not to turn it into a :handbag: at twenty paces argument.  Polite adults only please gentlemen and ladies.  

• Like 1

The last part of the article about the number of military personnel dismissed was I thought the crux of the matter.

It's not as big an issue as it appears on face value. It's just the engines not the complete aircraft. It makes sense to centralise major maintenance for things like engines. The numbers in RAF service wouldn't justify setting up a local facility in the UK.

But if an issue was to arise with Turkey there are alternatives. Aviation maintenance in general is a global business. So sending aircraft, equipment and engines to the other side of the world is quite common. 

I speak as someone who worked fifteen years in jet engine maintenance.

Edited by noelh

Great idea. So when Turkey goes base over apex we'll all have to send the back to the US for servicing.

Smart move by Lockheed.

Graham

Hmm I'm not sure but I was under the impression that RR made the lift fans so does that mean that particular engine will be serviced in UK.Therefore it's only(only) the main ECU that goes to deep maintainance in Turkey?

Is that a GE or RR establishment?

We used to get RR Gnomes that came from RR Deutschland ...Munich .

Sounds like a typical half a newspaper story to me .

Ahem...small porthole bigger picture perhaps:mellow:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Hmm I'm not sure but I was under the impression that RR made the lift fans so does that mean that particular engine will be serviced in UK.Therefore it's only(only) the main ECU that goes to deep maintainance in Turkey?

Is that a GE or RR establishment?

We used to get RR Gnomes that came from RR Deutschland ...Munich .

Sounds like a typical half a newspaper story to me .

Ahem...small porthole bigger picture perhaps:mellow:

I think the Rolls Royce element was in the alternative engine that was cancelled a few years back.

I would have thought that as the only Level 1 international partner we would have been able to do all of our own servicing? Does this mean that we don't 'own' the engines and are therefore obliged to have them serviced according to the terms of a lease agreement?

Trevor

As a global system I can see the sense in the four "service centres" mentioned but I would not class Turkey as a central European country

as far as geography is concerned that said I don't think eyebrows would have been raised had it not been for the recent upheaval over there

It may be a way of  re-assuring the Turk's of their importance as a NATO and European ally it does have a strange twist though,will Israeli

aircraft go there? and you can bet your life some wealthy middle east countries will buy the F-35 in the future so we could see Israeli and

Saudi engines under one roof!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

From another reading of the report I think what the concern is that while the arrangement did make sense a worry is creeping in due to the situation that appears to be developing in Turkey. I imagine there is a Plan B in there though that can be dusted off if needs be

If I recall correctly weren't F16s bought by the Norwegians, Danes, Dutch and Belgians deep serviced (or was it just engines) centrally? Makes sense in terms of cost saving. Turkey's political instability is an area of concern though for such an important weapons system.  

Regardless of whats been done before.. We should be looking after our own equipment.

And don't forget this deal signed when Theresa May visited a few months ago but that was before the "other stuff" with Holland and Germany kicked off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/theresa-may-agrees-100m-fighter-jet-deal-with-turkeys-erdogan-despite-human-rights-concerns-a7551006.html

Edited by bzn20