1/48 Mosquito NF.XV - 85 Sqn

The Mosquito NF Mk XV was a high altitude aircraft developed in response to a series of very high level raids launched by the Germans in the summer of 1942. These raids used modified Junkers Ju 86s, which were capable of flying above the service ceiling of any current British fighter. Although these were no more than nuisance raids, with very light bomb loads, work immediately began on high altitude aircraft to deal with the threat.

The NF Mk XV was based around the B Mk IV fuselage, equipped with Merlin 73 two stage engines and longer wings. It was the first model of Mosquito to have a pressurised cabin. Armament was limited to four .303in machine guns in a mounting under the fuselage.

On top of this the aircraft was lightened by over 1,000 pounds, and only the inboard and outboard (No.5) fuel tanks were used for a total of 287 gallons, thus giving MP469 the shortest range of any Mosquito at 1,050 miles.
The standard Mosquito wheels and were swapped for smaller and lighter units.

The prototype NF Mk XV could reach an altitude of 45,000 feet. However, by the time it was ready to make an attempt to intercept one of the German raiders, the high altitude raids had stopped. The Spitfire Mk VI had come close to catching several of the raiders, and the last one was flown on 9 September 1942.

The five NF Mk XVs (one prototype plus four production aircraft) remained in service until August 1943. They were then used for experimental work.

The kit is the 1/48 Tamiya B.IV, with resin radar nose from Freightdog,  4 blade resin props from Maestro models, and heavily modified CMK resin engines.  The smaller wheels came from a Grumman Tigercat.  Wing extensions and gun pack were scratchbuilt.

There are a few inaccuracies in my build, because I usually found out about them too late to do anything about them.  I am happy with how it has turned out though

20170405_180023_zpsfj42y0dt.jpg

20170405_180027_zps9osdlpvq.jpg

20170405_180040_zpshgeuzlsv.jpg

20170405_180049_zpsx4ev9cfv.jpg

20170405_180102_zpsvodao9fj.jpg

• Like 33

Beautiful job... I also have a set of the CMK engines, that I am hoping to modify the Tamiyal Mk IV so I can attempt a model of 'F' Freddie GB*F 105 sqdn ( IF I can find any decals) but I am curious to what the mods you made to the engines... I have dry fitted mine and feel that are a touch narrow, along with being a bit short as well... any information or pics of your mods would be awesome....  I really like your build..

Jeff

On 6.04.2017 at 8:39 AM, Gorbygould said:

Excellent build and an interesting read. I didn't know about this version of the Mosquito. 

Ditto! 

Cheers

J-W

very neat build,especially as done from variety of sources, I mention this as Paragon did 1 /48th and 1/72nd conversions,  and Kits  at War did include 'the markings' for a NF XV on this sheet

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/kaw/ddk48022.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/132568.aspx

Only a handful were built. It arose out of the need for a High Altitude Day Fighter. MP469 was allocated for modification. At first is was in the Day Fighter scheme of Ocean Grey and Dark Green upper surfaces with P.R.U. Blue undersurfaces and spinners. Later it was repainted all over P.R.U. Blue with a matt Black radome.

Four Mosquitoes were modified as H.F.XVs, DZ366, DZ385, DZ409, and DZ417. All were finished overall Matt Deep Sky and MP469 likewise when it was converted to a H.F.XV. They were sent to 'C' Flight of 85 Squadron at Hunsdon. For a short time they were painted overall Smooth Night. By August 1943 they were once again Matt Deep Sky. There are no records that indicate if code letters or other markings were applied but it is known that they carried standard roundels and fin flashes.

No combat was e ver recorded and the were all used for experiments. DZ417 and MP469 were despatched to  Turnhouse in 1943 as protection against possible high level attacks in that area.

Deep Sky was a dark blue colour developed by the RAE in late 1941 suitable for the undersurfaces of the RAF's Fortresses at high altitudes. The finish was more matt than the standard Type S finish to obviate the ‘sun glint’ observed on fuselages at high altitudes and so is sometimes referred to as Matt Deep Sky. Equivalent to FS 35102.

IMG_0001-4.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

a scan of the RAF colour chart to be found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two,

bstablegb_1.JPG

note 'Deep Sky'

a few more photos can be found if you google Mosquito NF XV

hope of interest

T

• Like 1

On 07/04/2017 at 5:36 PM, Biggu said:

Beautiful job... I also have a set of the CMK engines, that I am hoping to modify the Tamiyal Mk IV so I can attempt a model of 'F' Freddie GB*F 105 sqdn ( IF I can find any decals) but I am curious to what the mods you made to the engines... I have dry fitted mine and feel that are a touch narrow, along with being a bit short as well... any information or pics of your mods would be awesome....  I really like your build..

Jeff

My engines were also too short and too narrow and not tall enough, so I sliced one up and used plastic card to correct the errors and then I moulded my own.

20161016_181935_zpsbs9jegrm.jpg

20161023_220832_zpsbqbi6ebc.jpg

20161115_211113_zpsxfbmjcgv.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/04/2017 at 7:47 PM, Troy Smith said:

very neat build,especially as done from variety of sources, I mention this as Paragon did 1 /48th and 1/72nd conversions,  and Kits  at War did include 'the markings' for a NF XV on this sheet

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/kaw/ddk48022.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/132568.aspx

a scan of the RAF colour chart to be found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two,

bstablegb_1.JPG

note 'Deep Sky'

a few more photos can be found if you google Mosquito NF XV

hope of interest

T

Thanks. I have seen all of this and much more. Unfortunately the paragon conversions are long out of production, otherwise I would happily have gone with that.

8 hours ago, Devilfish said:

My engines were also too short and too narrow and not tall enough, so I sliced one up and used plastic card to correct the errors and then I moulded my own.

20161016_181935_zpsbs9jegrm.jpg

20161023_220832_zpsbqbi6ebc.jpg

20161115_211113_zpsxfbmjcgv.jpg

I don't suppose you may consider selling a set or two??  They look great....I could probably live with them being a tad short, but the too narrow thing is frustrating, I was going to shim it up inter the wing on the inside ......

Jeff

• 1 year later...