P-40E "Shuftie" 75 Sqd RAAF

This is the old Hasagawa 1/72 P-40E kit. It is done up in the markings of the 75 Squadron RAAF bird nicknamed "Shuftie", which in Egyptian means "Hurry Up". This aircraft was flown by F/L Les Jackson in defence of Port Morseby during 1942. 

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

• Like 27

Very nice indeed Noel,......looks great. Which decals did you use?

Here is mine in 1/48th from a few years ago;

Schuftie_01V.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Very nice Noel, I like that a lot.

BTW though, Shufti means to look around, hence RAF slang for recconaisance aircraft was shufti kites. Hurry up was Yalla, my Dad served in Egypt during WW2 & we grew up hearing these terms. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

BTW though, Shufti means to look around, hence RAF slang for recconaisance aircraft was shufti kites. Hurry up was Yalla, my Dad served in Egypt during WW2 & we grew up hearing these terms. :)

Steve.

Very true Steve,.......hence "going for a shufti",..... or a look and why recce aircraft were known as "Shufti kites". We still used lots of Arabic and Indian words in the British Armed Forces when I was in and Shufti was one of them. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Noel,......looks great. Which decals did you use?

Here is mine in 1/48th from a few years ago;

Schuftie_01V.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony. Thanks for your comments. I was admiring your build on AMI last night. Beautifully done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  I discovered this only moments after posting. I should have taken more time "going for a schuftie" (as Tony said) to get the right info. Goes to show you can't expect the "net" to have all the right fact first up. Cheers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, noelbarnes said:

Thanks Steve.  I discovered this only moments after posting. I should have taken more time "going for a schuftie" (as Tony said) to get the right info. Goes to show you can't expect the "net" to have all the right fact first up. Cheers.

When you`ve been told in a strong Geordie accent by one of the lads to "Gan av a shoofttee man and see if they do dhobee", you know that the old Empire is alive and well in the language of the British Army!! 

Tony

• Like 3

Jaldi is the word you're looking for "hurry up" or "get a move on" but I think that's from India, like khaki, mem-sahib and all those other English words!!!

Cheers 

Will

• Like 2