Eduard Spitfire Mk. ixc Mr Color paints needed

Starkiller

Hi All

I am very new to his and would like to do this right - build an Eduard Spitfire Mk. ixc early. My problem is finding the colours Mr. Colour C362 Ocean Gray, C361 Dark Green, C368 Sky and C363 Medium Sea Gray. Any pointers on how to acquire them? Thanks

Firsty, if you can't find Mr Color locally (and I don't think they can be sent by Royal Mail), you could use the equivalent colours by other manufacturers. RAF colours are to be found in all paint ranges but it depends on how close a match to the real thing you want. Humbrol enamels and Tamiya acrylics are widely available. Here's a link to a conversion chart: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm

If you use enamels, Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats paints are a good match to WW2 RAF colours (as well as others). They do mail order but, because of Royal Mail restrictions, there's a minimum order as they have to use Parcelforce. Here's a link: https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/   (I have nothing to do with the company, other than being a satisfied customer.)

Finally, and you may already know this but there are a few model shops in Wolverhampton. I'm sure they all sell paint and one of them may stock Mr Color.

Hope this helps and welcome to the enjoyable (and sometimes annoying) world of sticking bits of plastic together and painting them.

• Like 1

If it's any help these are the tamiya acrylic ones:

xf82 (ocean grey)

xf73 (dark green)

xf21 (sky)

xf83 (medium sea grey)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

You could buy the Vallejo Model Air RAF Day fighters paint set (if you use an airbrush). It has all those colours plus PRU Pink and Blue in case you want to do any recce a/c in future, the product code is val71162. As a bonus Vallejo paints can be sent by normal post as they are non-flammable.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks very much everyone for replying to my cry for help! Curious to know, since it's not easy to acquire Mr.Colour 300 range of paint, why does Eduart and others still list them? 

9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Thanks very much everyone for replying to my cry for help! Curious to know, since it's not easy to acquire Mr.Colour 300 range of paint, why does Eduart and others still list them? 

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Perhaps they are easier to acquire in the Czech Republic?

Eduard distributes them in the Czech Republic. 

They are available, but in the RAF late and early/desert period sets. Boxes with three colours in.

They don't seem available as singles yet. 

I got mine in the uk from scalemodel shop or emodels can't remember now. 

You didn't say if you are spraying or brush painting. If spraying , a second vote for the Mr Paint range. If you cannot get Mr Color locally or in the UK, its is usually readily available on E bay from Hong King. I have bought it that way many times now, almost completely replacing my enamel paint ranges.  The pigments are very fine although you will need to thin Mr Color for spraying.  Both dry extremely quickly. They are lacquers so suggest a mask and spray booth.  If painting by brush, then Xtracrylics from Hannants or Vallejo ( maybe from Parabellum in Birmingham) would be a good way to go.

3 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

We have all these shades portrayed accurately and they work very well by airbrush and brush painting (and dry the same shade either way too).

I've used Colourcoats on five of the last seven(!) Spitfires I've built, and I highly recommend them. Here are some of mine:

32831549334_ec152615f9_k.jpg20170327_000825 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 1

Hello All

Thanks for the information. Been new to this I have learned a lot from this discussion. So I got the Mr Color sets CS684 and CS683. Thanks for all your help!

Starkiller, welcome to Britmodeller! As you have discovered by now; this is the forum to come to for answers to any question that you may have when it comes to painting and sticking bits of plastic together(as Beard wrote above). You will find that if a member doesn't know the answer; as likely as not, they can point you to a reference(s) which will; or, member(s) who do, or, both. I have found them to be the most generous bunch of guys when it comes to building models, and, in helping with the questions and problems that can occur. And, again, welcome to modelling, Beard's last remark can be true; but, the feeling one gets from building a good model is very satisfying(yes, he does get it right).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Hello All

Thanks for the information. Been new to this I have learned a lot from this discussion. So I got the Mr Color sets CS684 and CS683. Thanks for all your help!

Remember and post the results up :)

On 05/04/2017 at 12:42, Starkiller said:

Hi All

I am very new to his and would like to do this right - build an Eduard Spitfire Mk. ixc early. My problem is finding the colours Mr. Colour C362 Ocean Gray, C361 Dark Green, C368 Sky and C363 Medium Sea Gray. Any pointers on how to acquire them? Thanks

you may find this worth a read

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

In particular page 7 has a Supermarine camo and markings diagram,

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

note the dimensions for position of markings and camo demarcation.

There were variations, but the camo and markings were factory applied and are pretty consistent.

Which scheme are you planning?  Just it is often possible to find photos of the actual plane online,  and, well, note my sig line.....

HTH

T

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 13:07, Beard said:

Firsty, if you can't find Mr Color locally (and I don't think they can be sent by Royal Mail), you could use the equivalent colours by other manufacturers. RAF colours are to be found in all paint ranges but it depends on how close a match to the real thing you want. Humbrol enamels and Tamiya acrylics are widely available. Here's a link to a conversion chart: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm

If you use enamels, Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats paints are a good match to WW2 RAF colours (as well as others). They do mail order but, because of Royal Mail restrictions, there's a minimum order as they have to use Parcelforce. Here's a link: https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/   (I have nothing to do with the company, other than being a satisfied customer.)

Finally, and you may already know this but there are a few model shops in Wolverhampton. I'm sure they all sell paint and one of them may stock Mr Color.

Hope this helps and welcome to the enjoyable (and sometimes annoying) world of sticking bits of plastic together and painting them.

Hi Bread. Just reread this and noted you mentioned Wolverhampton. I actually live in the Bilston area and would like to know where these model shops can be found.

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

you may find this worth a read

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

In particular page 7 has a Supermarine camo and markings diagram,

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

note the dimensions for position of markings and camo demarcation.

There were variations, but the camo and markings were factory applied and are pretty consistent.

Which scheme are you planning?  Just it is often possible to find photos of the actual plane online,  and, well, note my sig line.....

HTH

T

B EN133, No. 611 Squadron, Biggin Hill, Early 1943. Your research is very detailed!!! I will be following the instructions to the letter, been a noob to this and have never completed a project on previous birthdays, this one is going to special I intend to get this done and done right.

• Like 1

On 13 April 2017 at 8:35 AM, Starkiller said:

Hi Bread. Just reread this and noted you mentioned Wolverhampton. I actually live in the Bilston area and would like to know where these model shops can be found.

Your profile has your location as Wolverhampton so I googled model shops there.

Edited by Beard

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

B EN133, No. 611 Squadron, Biggin Hill, Early 1943. Your research is very detailed!!! I will be following the instructions to the letter, been a noob to this and have never completed a project on previous birthdays, this one is going to special I intend to get this done and done right.

b1822d59f7ca1aef4580525a788d76b7.jpg

7816L.jpg

Produced under contract B19713/39 of August 23, 1941, EN133 was delivered to No. 611 West Lancashire Squadron at Biggin Hill in early July 1942. On March 14, 1943 the aircraft was lost in a combat with a Focke Wulf Fw 190 of Jagdgeschwader 26. The pilot, Squadron Leader J.H. Slater, was killed.

not sure what Eduard say in their instructions,  but they are usual pretty good on their markings and options.

this is also worth a browse, 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

A load of period WW2 colour photos, these are the Spitfires,  can't see a Mk.IX from 1943.

I've now got company so just going to post this for now.

cheers

T

• Like 1