What happened to the Axis aircraft at Glenview NAS?

Spitfires Forever

I was just perusing pictures of the B6N Tenzan and saw a beautiful specimen that was part of a display at Glenview NAS after the war. I also saw a few other unique aircraft like the Ki-84 and Arado 196 seaplane. Anybody know what happened to these aircraft? Maybe at the Smithsonian rotting away in a warehouse?

Cheers

The B6N2 was acquired by NASM in 1981 and AFAIK is still in storage in the Paul E Garber facility. 

Two Ki-84 s/n 2366 and 3060 were brought back to the USA from Utsonomiya airfield in Japan in November 1945. The Glenview Hayate was possibly one of those. Sadly both appear to have been scrapped at some point. Not to be confused with the better known Ki-84 s/n 1446 ex-11 Hiko Sentai captured in the Philippines and which has since returned to Japan. That went from Park Ridge to NASM but AFAIK was not displayed at Glenview.  

Utsonomiya was better known as a flying school in the north-central part of the Kanto sector but Nakajima also had a factory producing the Ki-84 there and many intact airframes were found after occupation. 

Nick

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

The B6N2 was acquired by NASM in 1981 and AFAIK is still in storage in the Paul E Garber facility. 

Two Ki-84 s/n 2366 and 3060 were brought back to the USA from Utsonomiya airfield in Japan in November 1945. The Glenview Hayate was possibly one of those. Sadly both appear to have been scrapped at some point. Not to be confused with the better known Ki-84 s/n 1446 ex-11 Hiko Sentai captured in the Philippines and which has since returned to Japan. That went from Park Ridge to NASM but AFAIK was not displayed at Glenview.  

Utsonomiya was better known as a flying school in the north-central part of the Kanto sector but Nakajima also had a factory producing the Ki-84 there and many intact air frames were found after occupation. 

Nick

Such a shame, the Jill is a sleek and beautiful aircraft, not to mention the rugged beauty of the Ki-84. The Glenview aircraft seemed to have been pretty well cared for, but of course, it hadn't been too long since the war ended when these aircraft were displayed. At least someone has it sheltered but I doubt I will see it on display in my lifetime. We air show goers and modellers seem to be very eurocentric in our outlook regarding WWII aircraft, ignoring the significance of Japan's capable aircraft, that's a bit of a shame too. I think many do not realize that prior to 1943 the Zero was the supreme air superiority fighter, yet it is always rated below fighters like the Wildcat and Hurricane, not to mention the Spitfire. I don't think the Spitfire fared very well over Darwin in 1942 from all accounts. Thanks again Nick, you are our #1 source for intel on the subject of Japanese aircraft, as well as all things with a pigment, keep up the invaluable work.

Cheers

I believe the Jill and Ar 196 ended up in Willow Grove. There was also a Rex and Me 262B and one or two other rare WW-2 survivors there. 

IIRC, the Ar 196 was taken off of the Prince Eugen before she went to the South Pacific to meet her fate in a nuclear weapons test.