Help with 1/72nd Kits

RJ-WobblyHands

Of course, some heavy bomber units were based at some of the Essex airfields before the 9th moved in. For example, the 94th Bomb Group were based at Earls Colne with their B-17s from May until June 43, before an exchange with the medium bomber groups. I've got some cracking un-published colour film of Earls Colne when the 323rd were there...would love to share it here.

Good luck with the project. A subject close to my heart after spending 15 years of my life with the Rebel Air Museum first at Andrewsfield, and the later Earls Colne. I explored most of those airfields, and practically lived on a few of them. In fact, I was offered the control tower at Earls Colne for £26000 in 1992! Should have bought it! Fond memories too of hosting reunions of the 322nd, 323rd, 397th and 381st Bomb Groups...great bunch of guys they were too!

The airfix B-26 is still a nice kit in my opinion. Built enough of them for museum displays, and of course you get the "Mild and Bitter" decals too. 

Hope we get to see some photos!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Mainly it is the older kits you will want to avoid, the problem comes in identifying them when re-released in new boxes.  The vast majority of new toolings avoid major errors, though that still can leave a number of areas open to discussion!   Aircraft were and are very variable, even when carrying the same designation, and companies may well get it right for one example but not for the one you want to model, or even one they include markings for.  That's part of the fun.  You may yet find that determining the exact configuration of the one you want to model isn't as easy as you'd expect.  The old (and golden) advice is always to model from a photograph, but that's not always possible or even totally helpful.  (What does the other side look like?)  In the end you'll find the level of research that suits your modelling: I'd suggest that for now, as you are just getting back, don't be too picky at first.  Avoid the clunkers (see comments above) by all means, but just make a couple that take your fancy.

I am thinking its got be a Jug next , then the B-26B/C as it is on the 'must make' on the list - my mum grew up less than 2 miles from RAF Boreham, and my Nan used to be part of an ENSA group that entertained the US airmen stationed there and most of the other bases in central / north Essex.

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands

+1 for the Airfix B-26.

Built it years ago(when it came out IIRC,mid-70's),it's only "things" are de-rivveting and the u/c is a bit weak,sure someone

did a whitemetal set for it.

Ditto for the old Airfix P-38,it still scrubs up well.

Whilst the new Airfix C-47/Dakota is a lovely kit and certainly looks every bit as a Dak should,it is a bit on the fiddly side.

For an easier build there,I'd go for the Esci/Italeri offering,not quite as accurate,but less fiddly and it still looks like a Dak.

52 minutes ago, Miggers said:

+1 for the Airfix B-26.

Built it years ago(when it came out IIRC,mid-70's),it's only "things" are de-rivveting and the u/c is a bit weak,sure someone

Whilst the new Airfix C-47/Dakota is a lovely kit and certainly looks every bit as a Dak should,it is a bit on the fiddly side.

For an easier build there,I'd go for the Esci/Italeri offering,not quite as accurate,but less fiddly and it still looks like a Dak.

I too built the Airfix B-26 kit back in the day and again in the late 90s as a presentation kit to a vet who had flown it and gave a nice talk and slide show at one of our IPMS meetings. I can echo the main landing gear leg problem. The kit is actually missing (as I recall at least) the web/bar that comes down from the forward part of the nacelle and does the retracting/extending. I used a cut off round toothpick for this and, while not really accurate, it did provide the necessary reinforcement to the undercarriage.

Edited by Chuck1945
clarify which Airfix I was discussing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

+1 for the Airfix B-26.

Hi Miggers

IIRC the Airfix B-26 while raised panel line, was not the a product of the "airfix phantom riveter"  and is pretty smooth.

Which old Airfix P-38?  they did two, a 60's era 'J' ish (deep frontal rads) which was basic 60's era Airfix,  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/638582-airfix-1415-lockheed-p-38j-lightning  (Apparently 1958!)

and a 70's era 'F'.  

I believe the 'F' is basically decent, apart from the rivets...P-38's were flush riveted!  

cheers

T

• Like 1

The

8 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Miggers

IIRC the Airfix B-26 while raised panel line, was not the a product of the "airfix phantom riveter"  and is pretty smooth.

Which old Airfix P-38?  they did two, a 60's era 'J' ish (deep frontal rads) which was basic 60's era Airfix,  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/638582-airfix-1415-lockheed-p-38j-lightning  (Apparently 1958!)

and a 70's era 'F'.  

I believe the 'F' is basically decent, apart from the rivets...P-38's were flush riveted!  

cheers

T

The 70's "F" is the one I was thinking of Troy,IIRC the old J was a bit of a naff jobbie.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Miggers

and a 70's era 'F'.  

cheers

T

Correct, not a single rivet on the B-26, as opposed to the A-26 from the same stable - which probably is from the same stable only by name and has rivets from a wet dream...I Wonder whose? 

The Airfix P-38J is firmly 50s. "Old" as used by Miggers is rather imprecise, as the F is almost exactly my age, and ***I*** ***am*** ***not *** ***old***. The J surely is no contest, but there are two very collectable packaging variations from the mid to late 70s.