Started pics a bit late,.......new 1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- Converted into a Mk.VIII

Hiya Folks,

I started whittling away at this one in isolation but as a few people have asked me about it I have decided to share it here if anybody is interested.

03927.jpg

Well,.......the cockpit goes together well but for some reason (probably using a warbird for reference?) there is no armour plating behind the pilots seat, so this needs to be made from plastic card! 

My photos start with the kit being fitted together yesterday evening after the interior parts had been pre painted and assembled the day before,.....here it is with the tape applied while the glue dried and it only took a day to assemble. I was asked about the fit of the canopy and so have attached it using tape and the fit looks fine to me. There were gaps along the joint of the wing roots which needed to be filled with plastic card shims and these also needed to be fitted inder the wing tip joint too. 

DSCF9969_zpsg3rk5b27.jpg

Next day,.....I`ve done some sanding, made the armour plating from plastic card and assembled the propeller, you can see the plastic card shims sanded down to the rear of the wing root. The post war wheel bulges are moulded into the upper wings and so these have been marked out in black and are in the process of being filed smooth as they were not present on wartime Spits.;

DSCF9970_zpskxe4xjpk.jpg

DSCF9972_zps0jctq27x.jpg

I`ve not fully decided upon a scheme yet and may remove the wing tips and fit the clipped ones or even convert it into a Mk.VIII.....I`ve not decided yet!

So wish me luck,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 16

25 minutes ago, JimHead23 said:

Watching with interest Tony. I have missed your WIPs recently and I hope it is a sign that you are back to better health?

Regards

Jim

Cheers Jim,.....yeah I`m getting there, just struggling to walk and stand yet but the pain is slowly reducing if I don`t overdo things. I wasn`t going to push myself and do a WIP but I cannot resist it,...... it is a lovely kit and so much cheaper than a Tamiya one,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

I have this kit on order and was hoping to see a WIP - I've just built the MkIIa and thoroughly enjoyed it so am hoping for more of the same from this version.

Looking very good so far, Tony.

Tom

• Like 1

Is the alternative set of decals based in Italy still a grey-green combo?  I can't find any illustrations of the other scheme to the box art one.  Probably my incompetence...

Cheers 

Will

You can see where the new Mk.IX model is based on the earlier MkIIa;

Image result for REVELL SPITFIRE 1/32

Here is the Mk.IIa bult up as a Mk.I;

DSCF2472_zps526a7b0a.jpg

The wheels on the Mk.IX are much better than those on the earlier kit which were atrocious (the ones on this model were replaced using Barracuda resin items) and the new Mk.IX kit has new fuselage,propeller, wing and rudder parts included as well as an extra radiator.

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, malpaso said:

Is the alternative set of decals based in Italy still a grey-green combo?  I can't find any illustrations of the other scheme to the box art one.  Probably my incompetence...

Cheers 

Will

The decals are for the RCAF one on the box top and for the well known silver 601 Sqn aircraft based in Italy. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyot said:

The decals are for the RCAF one on the box top and for the well known silver 601 Sqn aircraft based in Italy. 

Thanks Tony, that's a nice choice too, I was planning to do it in 1/72 using the Eduard decals.

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

The new Mk.IX kit has new fuselage,propeller, wing and rudder parts included as well as an extra radiator.

Presumably new tailplanes, elevators and front windscreen as well.  Is much of the Mk.II actually left?

Cheers

Will 

Just now, malpaso said:

Thanks Tony, that's a nice choice too, I was planning to do it in 1/72 using the Eduard decals.

Presumably new tailplanes, elevators and front windscreen as well.  Is much of the Mk.II actually left?

Cheers

Will 

Sorry yes, missed the windscreen, but the tailplanes are the originals and need to be cut down to fit the later style elevators. Weren`t the later style elevators included in the original kit,....I cannot remember?

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

I picked one up and wondered a bit about the tailplanes as the elevators are on the same sprue but are of the later, larger area variety. I haven't looked at a MkIIa kit, were the earlier elevators on a separate sprue?

The one thing that disappointed me slightly with both this and the Mk IIa kit are the radiator baths as they are just 'scabbed' onto the underside of the wing with no attempt to make the proper intake and outlet. Consequently the radiator matrix is around half depth and is not subdivided to include the oil cooler part. But then this is almost a quarter of the price of the Tamiya kit and I expect Roy Sutherland will trot out a correction set soon enough! It is a clever kit though, with the potential for a further release with Vokes filter chin cowl. I totally agree with Tony though about the much better wheels - but not weighted (again!) an opportunity lost which Airfix would not have missed. Also includes both original and 'pointy' rudders. Pity the cannon bulges aren't separate to allow an 'e' wing but thats something else I expect will rapidly become available!

Simon

Edited by Simon Cornes
To correct my Mac's spelling corrections!
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

I picked one up and wondered a bit about the tailplanes as the elevators are on the same sprue but are of the later, larger area variety. I haven't looked at a MkIIa kit, were the earlier elevators on a separate sprue?

The one thing that disappointed me slightly with both this and the Mk IIa kit are the radiator baths as they are just 'scabbed' onto the underside of the wing with no attempt to make the proper intake and outlet. Consequently the radiator matrix is around half depth and is not subdivided to include the oil cooler part. But then this is almost a quarter of the price of the Tamiya kit and I expect Roy Sutherland will trot out a correction set soon enough! It is a clever kit though, with the potential for a further release with Vokes filter chin cowl. I totally agree with Tony though about the much better wheels - but not weighted (again!) an opportunity lost which Airfix would not have missed. Also includes both original and 'pointy' rudders. Pity the cannon bulges aren't separate to allow an 'e' wing but thats something else I expect will rapidly become available!

Simon

I fully concur mate. 

I`m thinking of building this model as one from 318 (Polish) Sqn based in Italy for Army Co/Op, Tactical Recce duties;

Image result for spitfire polish italy

Ostrowski_prang.jpg

Using decals from this set, for LW-L, but I`m trying to find a photo of the exact aircraft first;

DSC_4874.jpg

Related image

This is the only photo that I have found so far of LW-L,..... seen furthest away while flown by P/O Zdzizslaw Uchwat during the victory flypast over Campoformido on 25th March 1945.

3d9920b82ea0ac6fa9d01b614ea586a8.jpg

I`ve noticed that most of the 318 Sqn Spits sport this unit marking of playing cards with the unit number, but it is not on the decals;

Image result for 318 sqn

There is a very good page for the unit here with some interesting desert schemed Polish Hurricane`s;

http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/318/318Squadron.html

It is either that or convert it into a RAAF Mk.VIII, or something totally different......I`m not fully decided! 

Cheers

Tony

Edit,.......haha,......found one!;

Image result for 318 sqn

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Well,.....I`ve had to change tack a little as the Polish Spitfire was the wrong variant with an e Wing, so that one has gone out of the window I`m afraid! In fact most of the Spitfire Mk.IX`s that I fancied building ended up having e Wings too, so I have decided to convert my model into a Spitfire Mk.VIII! 

I`m probably going for an Australian aircraft;

Either;

, A58-528 (RAF MT675), UP-L `Have a Grog' from 79 Sqn RAAF;

Seen here as UP-L with Sky or White spinner and possible traces of white wing leading edges, note the treaded tyres;

And seen here later as UP-R with a Blue spinner with Sky backplate and heavily weathered.

Image result for spitfire have a grog Image result for kagero spitfire

Or

A-58-435, QY-T of 452 Sqn;

Image result for kagero spitfire viii

Image result for spitfire a58-435

There is also A58-422 flown by Malta veteran Len Reid which he named `Hal Far' after the airfield in Malta which he flew from;

Image result for spitfire a58-522

Here are the Kagero decals which include all three RAAF options;

big_kal-tc18a-019.jpg?lm=1393960190

So I have to provide the RAAF roundels.

I`m now poring through this excellent tome;

Image result for spitfire len reid

So let the conversion begin!

Cheers

Tony

Edit.....I love this colour view;

Image result for spitfire raaf

above-A58-500, QY-D with the CO of 452 Sqn, Sqn. Ldr. Allan Birch

Edit Edit;

I had also planned to build my Tamiya Mk.VIII in RAF SEAC markings but I might now build this model in these markings instead,.....however there are still choices,...arghh!!

First is this aircraft wearing the famous `Snifter' emblem from 615 Sqn, I have a reference photo of this aircraft and here is  a 1/72nd scale model that I have built earlier, using the Kagero sheet ;

Image result for spitfire 615 sqn snifter

Kagero artwork.

Kagero Top Colors 18 Spitfire VIII Book Review by Rodger Kelly: Image

Now choosing this option would allow me to remove the engine cowlings on my Tamiya kit without losing the artwork?

Or;

This 152 Sqn SEAC Spitfire with a Canadian Maple Lead inside the SEAC roundel' from Barracuda Decals,....again I have a photo of this one for reference too.

Image result for spitfire seac

Image result for barracuda decals spitfire 152 sqn

and then I like the 92 Sqn desert option too, although it has pointed wing tis,....... too many choices!!!

Oh I`m spoiled for choice now! Sorry for rambling on!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Image result for REVELL SPITFIRE 1/32

Here is the Mk.IIa bult up as a Mk.I;

DSCF2472_zps526a7b0a.jpg

The wheels on the Mk.IX are much better than those on the earlier kit which were atrocious (the ones on this model were replaced using Barracuda resin items) and the new Mk.IX kit has new fuselage,propeller, wing and rudder parts included as well as an extra radiator.

Cheers

Tony 

The paint you use for dark earth looks perfect, which paint i it?

great start, just noticed you've started the WIP :)

• Like 1

Right,.....Spitfire Mk.VIII conversion, we need to make the ailerons shorter, add a retractable tailwheel and a bulge on the right side of the nose cowling. Here is the model with some pen marks added;

DSCF9973_zpsmuvpc8s3.jpg

and the cut out for the tail wheel is shown here along with Grey Matter Resin`s conversion part;

DSCF9977_zpssfraepik.jpg

More to follow,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, woody37 said:

The paint you use for dark earth looks perfect, which paint i it?

great start, just noticed you've started the WIP :)

Hiya Neil,.....it is Polly Scale acrylic Dark Earth mate,..... but you cannot get it anymore I`m afraid,

Cheers

Tony

Sorry Neil,......I`m down to my last half pot myself and on the lookout for a replacement!

Here is more work done on the Mk.VIII conversion;

Tail wheel,...... cut out made and Grey Matter part added;

DSCF9981_zpserij9hp2.jpg

DSCF9980_zpsnukkrye0.jpg

Ailerons;

The kit aileron has been cut down and the outermost part has been fixed into place with a plastic shim closing the gap of the cut,.....filler will then blend it into the wing;

DSCF9979_zps02u201x3.jpg

Nose bulge;

I`ve cut out a piece of sprue and sanded it to shape before fixing it in place;

DSCF9978_zpsabtqwzzw.jpg

So some filler has been added and I`ll do some sanding later tonight,

Cheers

Tony

Edit;.....also got these Barracuda sets on order;

BCR32010

and;

BCR32001

This set BCR32172 would come in handy as it includes the armour plating missing from the kit;

BCR32172

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

I love the way you change direction in mid build to do an VIII! :lol:

Does anyone have sprue shots for us to drool over? I'm stupidly tempted but.....

1) where do I put it

2) what 'version' of the IX shall I do

3) repeat 1 and 2 Ad Infinitum 

Trevor

......dear Revell, I'm very grateful but how about a Hurricane I.......pleeease?! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I love the way you change direction in mid build to do an VIII! :lol:

Does anyone have sprue shots for us to drool over? I'm stupidly tempted but.....

1) where do I put it

2) what 'version' of the IX shall I do

3) repeat 1 and 2 Ad Infinitum 

Trevor

......dear Revell, I'm very grateful but how about a Hurricane I.......pleeease?! 

Haha,.... thats me Trev!! 

I don`t know where I`m going to put this one yet and have totally run out of room,..... but I`ll cross that bridge when I get to it!

As for the Hurricane,......yes please! 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1