"A" vark

Hewy

Nice work on the canopy Glynn, the exhaust cans are looking very tidy too, the PE looks like it'll be a huge improvement on them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jabba said:

That is a hell of a lot of work that you have carried out on those engine, and it is well worth it. The effort in getting the cockpit right/better, is to be commended.

Fingers are tightly crossed jabba very tightly , I've debonded the canopy :o it was slightly high at the front only about 1mm ,but it just looked wrong with the gap filled,cheers though jabba

Glynn

I agree it's worth the effort, I love you work Glynn!! :thumbsup: I think I'll go down the same path as well now. 

If I had the time I might have been inclined to build a couple of ladders, but I don't think I will. Will be struggle as it is with the time I well have.  

• Like 1

On 27/04/2017 at 12:32, trickyrich said:

I agree it's worth the effort, I love you work Glynn!! :thumbsup: I think I'll go down the same path as well now. 

If I had the time I might have been inclined to build a couple of ladders, but I don't think I will. Will be struggle as it is with the time I well have.  

I think the more bits and bobs we add rich,the more it'll take the eye away from the dodgy hobby boss bits, it'll all turn out rosy when your slow boat docks,

• Like 1

After one of the most testing of fits in recent years the most unenjoyable part is now done. That is mating the cockpit to the capsuel and then to the fuselage ,muzz gave us a heads up on one fit problem,i had that one too, and another completly new one ,pictures will explain better ,.much sanding and super glueing to fit to this standard,some sanding and more filling when its completly gone off, but at last I'm getting somewhere 

Glynn

First test fit and it seemed to either fit at the front ,or the back not both

20170429_182608_zpsyxdhis4z.jpg

20170429_182644_zpslxlxhjf2.jpg

After splitting apart the leading edge each side down to where it meets the wing and forcing the top half of the fuselage up with a wedge i had a closer fit, i then sanded to fit and  superglued the front part

20170501_162155_zps39mx2qjh.jpg

Clamped the leading edge together after dabbing superglue in the join , also took pappys advice on the bow between the screen and cockpit rear ,a strip of plasticard to make up the shortfall from the vac screen in height, ive test fitted the doors and they won't be a problem,he says:huh:

20170501_162221_zps4w0xtwdh.jpg

20170501_162134_zpsdfolfyjp.jpg

• Like 5

that looks great, the shape side on looks about right as well. I haven't gotten anywhere near this stage but I did spend quite a bit of time trying to get the fuselage wide right where it meets the capsule. from memory I may ned to add a thin shim to the lower capsule/fuselage join.

So this should be the last "problem" area sorted, hopefully it's smooth building from here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good work sorting that out Glynn, there seems to be a lot of work needed on these Hobby Boss kits but hopefully the hard part is behind you now.

It dosnt seem to be going well for me craig, now i can only advise dont buy hataka paints ive just binned two sets of mine, honestlythey are utter crap , I'll tell you what i think it is ,emulsion ,bathroom ,ceiling, paint, rubbish, i had they're thinners so thats not to blame,it is so thin it doesn't cover properly ,it  won't come through the airbrush for more than 20 seconds before it starts forming its plastic skin, and you find your pulling the trigger further back to compensate for the lack of flow ,3.5 needle in the windy gun, any way sorry for the rant, I've orderd some mr hobby paints, im sticking to those and tamiya from now on , any body got any tips for removing this crap, i really dont want to lose what I've put in to it,  ive tried oven cleaner so far ,hence the white residue .i felt like the more i did with these paints  the harder it was going to be to put it right so i bit the bullet and chucked em,,su 9u for a bit of  easy peasy till i get this off

20170503_143920_zpsffshlz8u.jpg

• Like 1

oh!

that does not look right for an operational plane!

sorry for your problems with the paint! I am of no help though on how to rectify it... sorry :(

good luck , there is still plenty of time for a 2nd try!

(I hop your Su-9 does not have to pay for this misfortune here! )

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to see the problems you have had with the paint Glynn. I had no end of issues with them on my F-16 and on a CH-53 I built last year and a lot of them are exactly the same as I had and I won't be using them again, I don't know why some people rave about them as I think they are the worst I have used in a long while. The best I have used recently are Gunze acrylics as they spray very nicely and give a nice smooth finish.

• Like 1

hmm that is a bugger Glynn! So sorry to see as the work was going so well, having had a balls up recently too it is rather annoying I know. I've not used those paints (I read negative things about them) but I can recommend Gunze Mr. Color (normal or levelling) thinners for stripping paint. It removes Tamiya/Gunze/Revell/Humbrol/Alclad/any clear coat (any paint I have) so I would assume it would remove that paint too. I found it quite easy to do, mask off the canopy area, put some on a cloth and literally just wipe the paint off. Minimal rubbing or fuss but it stinks, fortunately doesn't damage the plastic but it can take away some filler such as Mr. Surfacer, maybe a little more prep work after removal but you can start the fun bit over again :) Like Craig, as acrylics go, Tamiya and Gunze with Mr.Color Levelling thinner really are great imho (and I think quite a few on here).

Hope you get to sorted and it doesn't end up on the shelf!

David

• Like 1

WOW that is a real shame!!!

I don't know this paint at all but if it's an acrylic then normal acrylics thinners should remove it nicely, or you could try Isopropyl alcohol. Both of those seem to work well for me with all acrylics. 

All these new acrylics sound nice and the promo models always look perfect, and they say they"re easy to use......but it's often not the case.

Good old Tamiya Acrylics and pretty much bulletproof and Gunze acrylics with Mr Leveller, awesome. You really can't go wrong using them and the colour matches, they're so close it's not worth worrying about.

Anyway, just take your time removing that mess, it shouldn't be hard to get back a nice painting surface. You've got plenty of time, you've been doing a fantastic job!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Offending paint removed and have given the panel lines a cleanout too, isopropyl  did the trick and to be fair it took only about an hour, im waiting now for the mr hobby paints to arrive 

20170506_152012_zpsyqzx1q1o.jpg

And yes rich ,if you can get a wifi signal onboard ,..that cornish well hopped pale ale in the background offerd some light relief.

Cheers

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling
  • Like 5

That is a proper job, good effort Glynn, hopefully that's restored your mojo for the build.

Muzz

• Like 1

On 06/05/2017 at 10:29 PM, Hewy said:

Offending paint removed and have given the panel lines a cleanout too, isopropyl  did the trick and to be fair it took only about an hour, im waiting now for the mr hobby paints to arrive 

And yes rich ,if you can get a wifi signal onboard ,..that cornish well hopped pale ale in the background offerd some light relief.

Cheers

Glynn

I'm glad you managed to get the paint off without too much trouble. One upside of this you'll have a perfect clean base for painting again.

Mmm Pale Ale....... can only dream about the stuff, it's a dry vessel, so far 2 weeks without a "drop of the gods" and other 4 or more weeks to go!!

• Like 1

New paints have arrived and a night and day difference to the previous rubbish,the well known combination of mr hobby and laquer thinner is very,very  nice to use  ,tan on first, didnt preshade just post lightend in the centres and a touch darker on the lines and then a very thin blow over to even it out with the base color,I'm happy with that at this stage,I'll mask off the tan tomorrow and do the lighter green 

Cheers

Glynn

20170512_202351_zpsklzosui5.jpg

20170512_202227_zpsqi9t4nfi.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

That is a good re-start!

Thanks werner,

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I agree, it's great that the painting is back on schedule.

Thanks rich, im back enjoying this again now, should shoot both greens today and then onto smaller flaps, slats ,tail and rear stabs,loving the paint

Glynn

Majority of the camo is now done,some bits to correct and touch up ,overall im happy,the masking tape has lifted one of the boundary air duct grills,i have saved it, I'm going to let the paint dry completely and then do the correcting,and some missed paint,

Cheers 

Glynn

20170514_163042_zpsupi9rmpc.jpg

20170514_163031_zpskthgqn7o.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Camo looks great!

Seems that you like these colors a bit more!

They also seem to better in tone:)

Thanks werner,yes really like the paints ,my aibrush didn't  block or the paint didn't  form a skin ,it didnt spit , never even had to clean the tip during spraying the same color, absolute pleasure to use,i think these will do me now,

Cheers

Glynn