"A" vark

Hewy

Hopefully  I'll get some new f111 "A" decals and i won't have to use the kits ones,which by all accounts don't behave themselves, fingers crossed on that one, I'm going to begin building it as an "A", if by the grace of the modelling gods i manage to round up any decent "E" decals i shall change tack,the window of opportunity won't  last long though.. maybe just maybe caracal will furnish us with some new "A" decals before the end of this build.

I have some after market etch and a very nice reference book I've been swotting up with, the yak 28p is now finished from the nato war pac gb so a tidy of the bench tomorrow and I'll begin ,i have done a bit of dry fitting to check for any potential horror stories, but all looks pretty good,

20170404_175511_zpsfnankx3l.jpg

And seeing  as the yak 28p would probably have intercepted the 111 on it's way to lay waste to moscow ,and purely for scale purposes, a comparison of size..

Glynn

20170404_175735_zpsfumm6zmw.jpg

• Like 6

As of yet werner I'm undecided whether it will be worth it it looks to be a  difficult job to fit, I'll have a go though, i bet it could  be converted for the academy one, i haven't seen the nozzels on that  so i can't  be 100% , yes the yak 28 is big but this thing will give craigs mig 25 a run for its money on size,god knows what im going to do with it when its built :o cheers 

Glynn

18 minutes ago, exdraken said:

wow!

quite some size diff!

what do you think about the nozzle PE? worth it? maybe also usable for the Academy Vark?

• Like 2

Lovely choice Glynn, I look forward to seeing it come together, if it's anything like your Yak it will be fantastic. I've built F-111s before and know they are big, but your picture shows me how big that Yak is too, never realised.

David

• Like 1

Thanks to craig aka modelling minion,for alerting me to a nice set of f-111e  superscale decals from hannants, now  winging their way to me, on the sheet are three aircraft from upper heyford ,gamblers last deal,

Mad bomber,and ,wild hare, I'm  edging towards gamblers last deal ,which took part in operation proven force I've  done some assembly ready for etch and paint, also after looking up the intakes and being thoroughly disappointed I'vehad a go at improving them a little with a helping of milliput, which doesn't fix the lack of a proper intake but it helps,also I've  moved the fan blades a little nearer the front

20170407_200827_zpsqxubmjsr.jpg

20170407_201013_zpsrcdby7pg.jpg

A little sanding when (if) the milliput decides to harden ,

And some other sub assemblies ready for etch,and paint

20170407_201450_zpsfaz8osyx.jpg

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 5

Ok for some strange reason my original "Welcome aboard" didn't post..... Ok I'll try again, "Welcome aboard Hewy", with another HB F-111, gee I'm quite surprised how popular they are!

You've got some nice goodies to go with her as well!! Plus you're off to a good start as well, I do like the idea for the intakes, very clever, a it's a bit disappointing they didn't just give you the complete intakes in the first place.

Well good luck with the build, I hope it's a trouble free one and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

• Like 1

I'll get some photos up tomorrow, eduard etch is not my favourite part of modeling, I've been working on the bomb bay ,some eduard stuff and my own attempt at making it a bit more f-111 ish , I've also painted and added the ip and the seatbelts to the cockpit, is it me or does ca glue not like hobby boss plastic :huh:,my eyes will not focus on anything more than 2 feet from my head at the minute,,:blink: also  as im building an f-111 e from operation proven force could  any one help with the  location and  type   of   an/ alq pod ( my guess  would be the 131 but i have no evidence of this only the era of operations circa early 90s ) cheers

Glynn

Nice start especially with the intakes. On the ECM pod I am going from the Gulf War period, which OP Proven Force was part of (My model for this GB is also from this time period) it would have been an AN/ALQ-131 (Shallow). This was mounted to the rear of the main U/C under the engines, between the strakes that are in the area.

1 minute ago, Jabba said:

Nice start especially with the intakes. On the ECM pod I am going from the Gulf War period, which OP Proven Force was part of (My model for this GB is also from this time period) it would have been an AN/ALQ-131 (Shallow). This was mounted to the rear of the main U/C under the engines, between the strakes that are in the area.

Thanks jabba ,nice one

I've done a little bit, and had a minor loss, after taking all of the eduard seat belt etch off the fret and leaving the room for dinner a breeze /gale blew in through the open window and dispersed the seat belt parts to the four corners of the cave most were recoverd ,after a dig through the spare etch box I've managed to put somthing similar together,  a wso belt is a little different , I've got the bomb bay in not much will be seen when the doors are on and open i scratch built the bomb racks and added a bit of busying  detail also added the heat exchanger vent between the b bay and f lg bay  ,strakes are fitted and  are raked outwards a little,hobby boss will have you glue these on straight,they aren't like that ,also got the  wing parts painted red, im having a break from etch now ,the cans can wait till next week, my vac canopy should arrive from down under next week, my new decals look very nice too  I'm  going for gamblers last deal 

Cheers 

Glynn

20170414_145008_zpssyhnm8jt.jpg

20170414_141805_zpsd9comwuz.jpg

20170414_142230_zpse26hfxzn.jpg

20170414_142152_zpsg9rl8n4x.jpg

20170414_141154_zpsm2jez6ck.jpg

20170414_141045_zpsqdzr3t0l.jpg

• Like 12

WOW!! That does look really impressive, the weapons bay and cockpit are amazing, well done.

I've pretty much done the same thing with the lower fuselage sections, in joining them earlier in the piece, it does make aligning everything easier.

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Oh my, that looks very nice!

Hey thanks bob ,i thought i had maybe gone a bit overboard on the weathering in the Bays, but they were mucky places, 

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

WOW!! That does look really impressive, the weapons bay and cockpit are amazing, well done.

I've pretty much done the same thing with the lower fuselage sections, in joining them earlier in the piece, it does make aligning everything easier.

Rich same as you  I'm  trying to give myself as much room to manouver as possible when i fit the vac canopy and the capsule to make a nice  seam , one regret already is i didn't try with the  kit ip ,

Eduard  is nice but i  can't help feeling robbed  of modeling  pleasure somehow 

Thanks

Glynn

I've gone just about as far as i can without the vac canopy, I'll probably spray the black on the undersides  tomorrow and put the main gear on ,and then I'll get to work on the bombs,

20170415_182812_zpsjjvnwvfv.jpg

And I'm going to give these paints a try

20170415_183032_zpshixeylw4.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work Glynn, are you waiting on the vac form canopy arriving or you too chicken to start it?😆 I'm interested to see what you think of the Hataka paints as I have a set of these for another build.

Murray

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Nice work Glynn, are you waiting on the vac form canopy arriving or you too chicken to start it?😆 I'm interested to see what you think of the Hataka paints as I have a set of these for another build.

Murray

Lol , yes probably a bit tentative, a few bits ,and bobs to do like wing lights a bit of etch, we've had all the outlaws (not the motorcycly gang ,i meant inlaws) round for dinner today so nothing done, gonna get those paints out tomorrow though,  i promise

Muzz  from what I've heard the hataka line was a bit poor and faulty at the launch, that was a while ago now. I'm hoping all Is  well now, I usually use tamiya paints, I know how they work, how much to thin them, and you can sand them, I must admit it was the fact that all the required colours were in the box that drew my attention, so fingers crossed 

Glynn

• Like 1

I bought their set of Polish colours for the Su-22 last year, think it was one of the later sets released so will hopefully be ok. That sounds like the AK Interactive paint sets too, there was a problem with some of them when they were launched.

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

I bought their set of Polish colours for the Su-22 last year, think it was one of the later sets released so will hopefully be ok. That sounds like the AK Interactive paint sets too, there was a problem with some of them when they were launched.

I bought a set of the ak interactive paints too,terrible experience, really tried with them but i had many problems from forming a plastic like skin around the ab cup and on the tip ,to not being able to spray them until they were far too thin, i also picked up the hataka  russian ww2 camo set for a  1/32 yak 3 I've  got 

Are you doing the su22 in the from russia with love gb end of this month?

Glynn

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

Are you doing the su22 in the from russia with love gb end of this month?

Glynn

I hadn't considered it, it's the new Kitty Hawk kit, it's a possibility but would mean I'll be doing 4 group builds this year!

• Like 1