Canopy mask question

GordonD

My next build is (probably) going to be the Great Wall Hobbies Fw-189, which comes with PE parts and canopy masks. I'm just getting to know how to use the PE but the canopy masks are something I've never tried and I'm not entirely sure how to use them. It seems straightforward enough - each mask is numbered and just has to be attached to the right window panel on the canopy, but how easy is it to get the mask precisely aligned? It's not like a decal where you can slide it into the exact position, so assuming it's not spot-on first time how many times can I remove it and try again?

I normally paint my canopies one or two frames at a time, using normal Tamiya tape - line it up alongside the frame (usually takes me a couple of tries!), paint, remove tape and allow to dry before moving on to the next one. Even a simple canopy can take a while to complete but there are no prizes for speed in this hobby. The Fw-189, however, has a lot of canopy so if the masks are going to make this easier then why not use them?

But any tips would be welcome.

I have a natural aversion to canopy masks, thinking that they are the ‘lazy beggers’ option to a fairly simple, if time consuming task. Having said that, canopies with multiple frames are a pain in the bottom to mask, so I have (begrudgingly) used them on occasion:winkgrin:.

Best tip I can give is to avoid drinking coffee beforehand, then use a very fine pair of tweezers to grab a corner, hold yer breath, then have at it

Don’t release the tweezers until you are happy with the positioning as you can carefully pull the mask back off and re-apply. Be extra careful not to scratch the plastic with the tweezers!

I’m currently applying a shed load of little Tamiya tape squares and rectangles to mask off a 1/700 ship deck using this method, and so far so good.

Mart

• Like 1

I've used a few masks now and after a tip i read on here try and remove the excess "masking" from around the actual paint masks - makes life a lot easier!

careful to refer to the mask instructions as some of those beggars are waaaaay small......

Just as Mart said, but it may be an obvious tip, but line up from a corner of each mask. I usually do my own masks, but you would have to be a masochist to do a Fw 189.

Thanks for all of that.

Is there a limit to how long the masks should be left in place? Because I feel applying them is going to be a long and boring job so I don't think doing too many at one time would be good. I'm thinking of applying two or three then setting the canopy aside until later or even the next day, which would mean that by the time they're all in place the earliest ones would have been on there for weeks!

No limits. I've had masks on for a few months, when I've had to leave a kit and then come back to it to finish off. They are designed to be low tack and leave no residue behind. You can do the whole canopy in one go and you shouldn't have any problems.