Displaying 'gear up'

Modelholic

Not entirely sure if this is the right forum.

But I'm thinking of displaying some 1/48 aircraft 'in flight' (mainly to see if I can make a 'virtual' shelf to extend my display area). Nothing too big, single seat fighters (Spit, Typhoon, 109 size).

I'm considering purchasing some clear acrylic rod (e.g  https://www.plastock.co.uk/acrylic-extruded-clear-rod )

to cut to length, but I'm wondering what diameter and single or multiple rods (multiple rods would be better for simulating banking or turning but maybe later). Then there's what to use as a base (thinking about cup coasters)

If anyone has and ideas/thoughts please share.

Tom

Lots of ways to do things.

Here I used 1/16 s/s tig rod rather than a big acrylic rod. I made interior receptacles for the rod during the builds.

You'll need pilots , and some sort of prop representation, here I used clear sheet cut on my vinyl cutter.

Taking an 'English countryside' image and blurred in Corel , printed on wrap vinyl and stretched over the base made it look ok.

basechecks0003_zps3wmk82a8.jpg

basechecks0001_zpspxyyzcwo.jpg

Some thought may be required prior to the actual building of the kits

Resin pilots are available as well, here a rare Teknics offering sets the tone:

gsight0003_zpsli6dnbpk.jpg

lol

Edited by krow113
pic add

Real easy to make the receptacle. I used a small dia circle cast into the kit parts , drilled through and mounted plastic inside.There is a brass tube as well. You can see the flattened tube that takes the flattened rod end for orientation:

IMG_4319_zpsz36kelfk.jpg

Epoxy the hell out of it and ,I think , it looks a lot better than acrylic rod stuck up the butt of a model.

I've used 1/8th and 1/4 inch rod for 1/48 inflight displays. The bases have been inexpensive wooden plaques from the local craft shop. 

Single rod always inserted into a brass tube glued into the aircraft. Even for banked aircraft, just angle the tube. 

I sometimes paint the interior of the canopy a contrasting bluish color, mostly dark, because not all kits have pilot figures. 

There was a thread a while back with a fair few suggestions.

I’ve been using 0.125” brass and copper tubing for my ‘gear up’ kits, as I’ve been faffing about sticking motors and wotnot in them. Aesthetically your idea of using clear rod is better, as it’s hard to not notice the great big metal rod stuck in the aircraft. Acrylic rod is quite strong, so I wouldn’t use anything too large in diameter.

WP_20170313_19_51_07_Pro.jpg

Mart

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Using that sort of rod would make it easier.

Thanks for the idea, Steve.

Using the tiny dia of 1/16 " is the minimal dia of s/s rod that can be used on a 1/48 scale kit. I would think that the rod may get larger as the kit does.

1/16" of s/s rod easily disappears into the background as well , adding to the display.

The s/s rod also allows almost infinite adjustment, easily bent and keeping its shape through banking or angle 'tweaks'.

Dont like that angle ? Just bend it back!

Wiring for electonics? Send them up a s/s tube , still easier to work with.

Your in flight display can now be changed or adjusted whenever you like , another advantage.

Also with the receptacle in the model you can remove easily for storage or transport . The receptacle also offers a positive , stable mount so no worry there .

I found that angling the rod out of the base is easy to do as well. I work with acrylic and have the rod here , s/s is actually easier to work with.

Like I say , lots of ways to do things , whatever method you are comfortable with or able to do is determined by the individual.

Edited by krow113