1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII GPCAPT Clive Caldwell - RAAF

All done

The Eduard Spitfires are probably my favourite 1/48 scale prop kit. This is the third one I've built and all have been enjoyable builds. This one took less than 4 weeks to complete, in hours I estimate less than 20 hours all up.

That said, there are few little things that I don' like, those being the two piece cowl, exhaust assembly and sloppy fit of the undercarriage. The cowl is easy to rectify and I'm looking at aftermarket exhausts for the next one.

The Aussie MK VIII's have a heap of interesting marking options so I will definitely be building more in the future.

This aircraft was flown by the RAAF's lead ace GPCAPT Clive Caldwell, the CO of No. 80 Wing, Morotai, March, 1945.

Spitfire-VIII-02-35.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-34.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-36.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-20.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-25.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-21.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-28.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-32.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-33.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-37.jpg

More images and details at my blog

• Like 39

That is superb Calum,..... always liked Caldwell`s Spit`s and you have this one off to a tee, brilliant stuff,

Cheers

Tony

Beautifully done. LOVE the wing root walkway stripes worn away. Excellent weathering! I was under the impression that it was Airfix that had made a dodgy job of the undercarriage attachment on their 1/48 Spits. What's wrong with the Eduard version?

Thanks all

3 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Beautifully done. LOVE the wing root walkway stripes worn away. Excellent weathering! I was under the impression that it was Airfix that had made a dodgy job of the undercarriage attachment on their 1/48 Spits. What's wrong with the Eduard version?

It's a little sloppy for my taste. Not a super firm / interference fit.

On 04/04/2017 at 11:42 PM, Newbie(kinda) said:

Beautifully done. LOVE the wing root walkway stripes worn away. Excellent weathering! 

Or is is because the markings disappeared when the original Middle Stone was overpainted with Foliage Green?

Either way an excellent job and a bench mark for when I build mine.

Love a Spitfire with a slipper tank - great work. I'm a small scale maniac and Eduard's 144 Spits are the focus of my attention at the moment - about to convert a couple back to Mk.VIIIs but I can't do this scheme unfortunately. Beautiful work - from the cockpit right down to the muddy tyres. Love it!

14 hours ago, davidelvy said:

Or is is because the markings disappeared when the original Middle Stone was overpainted with Foliage Green?

Either way an excellent job and a bench mark for when I build mine.

yeah David, that's exactly why those markings are missing. The reference I used noted that the foliage green was painted over the middle stone and those markings weren't restored, which makes sense.

The brief build thread for those interested is here

• 1 year later...