Any tips for airbrushing straight lines for preshading?

billybookcase

Thank you.

I did think of a maul stick, which works fine on a flat square canvas, but would be a bit fiddly inside a spray booth with a 3d airplane.

I'll experiment and let you know.

Cheers.
BB

• Like 1

Practice, practice,practice

It's the only way I know, I'm still wobbly but it does get better the more you do.

Also I think sometimes you can try too hard, relax it's only pre shading you can cover most of it up anyway that's what I tell myself and it seems to work and it helps with the control for the other stuff as well

9 hours ago, colin said:

Practice, practice,practice

Yep, just keep at it. Practice on a piece of paper, rather than your model. Try spraying lines, squares and circles.

To be honest, I usually make a pig’s ear of it myself. Safe in the knowledge that further coats of paint will cover up the cock-ups.:winkgrin:

Mart

Why pre shade? Use a black primer instead, no need to worry about any lines then, just build your colour up slowly and you'll get the same effect. 

Tim.

• Like 3

billybookcase, do you hold the airbrush with one hand or both hands?

Resting the model on a stand and holding the airbrush with both hands really makes a difference when doing the precision painting.

Pity it took me so long to *see* it in all those Youtube videos.

Vedran

Hold the non airbrush hand clasped on the airbrush wrist.

Rest the non airbrush arm near the elbow on the stomach.

If you have arm rest on your seat rest the airbrush elbow on the seat arm.

If your seat swivels then swivel the seat to move the airbrush.

Laurie

Some useful tips, thank you.

Tried the two handed grip, much better, but as the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

I found I was getting better as I went along, problem being I probably won't be doing any preshading lines for a while, so Ill be back to square one next time.

I'll probably knock together the gizmo John showed us.

The problem with that is it and the Victor both won't fit inside my home made spray booth, so I'd have to airbrush outside the booth.

Cheers

BB

• 2 months later...

I am sure I read somewhere that most people will find it naturally easier to spray straight lines in one plane over the other so you might want to see if you find it easier to spray straight lines horizontally or vertically and rotate the model accordingly during the preshade process.

On 03/04/2017 at 7:01 PM, billybookcase said:

I didn't realise how wobbly my hands are until I tried this for the first time.

Pre-shading that is.

Thanks in advance.

BB

Help is never far away, just a matter of looking.........................lots of videos here, heres one to start you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3vZZEwkjXQ

My trick would have to be to get someone else to do it. ^_^ I never bothered learning to pre-shade too tidily, and I've given that technique up in the end.  I just blat a base coat onto the model, then adjust the colour a bit (lighter or darker - whatever seems right), and scribble around and inside the panels hither & thither (I might be simplifying a little).  It avoids the accusations of painting patchwork quilts, and the embarassment of getting found out for having shaky hands :ninja:

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 17:24, John Laidlaw said:

Just as an idea, it would be fairly simple to knock up something like this, or indeed to buy one if you felt so inclined. Just a thought :).

AAG-01%20Airbrush%20Guide.jpg

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=4189

Like this John. I am in a weak moment thinking of getting one. Post may be the problem USA to UK. Finding out.

Just have to cut down on those thinners. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc ( just a bit spread over a year) :lalala:

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Doesn't that bleed through the paint? :hmmm:

It can do... and it can take months for it to happen.

13 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Like this John. I am in a weak moment thinking of getting one. Post may be the problem USA to UK. Finding out.

Fingers crossed, Laurie!