Italeri 1/35 Sherman "world of tank" m4a1(76)

meanwhile, the work on the base goes on aswell. Actually the base looks like is 90% finished. i'll have to blend in the model with some extra mud applied once i put the tank in around the tracks, i'll add some water puddle, but the details and the snow effect are done. i have to say i think i've actually done a far better job than expected i hope you'll like it aswell. 

i have to confess a little sin. I've experimented with soda and i did it for a reason: i have no experience with snowy dioramas at all. But It actually took me so little time to prepare the base that i tought it was expandable for an experiment. So i'll keep the soda under observation over time to see if and how it reacts. But i'm not planning to use it on the actual model, i'm gonna order some Vallejo snow to apply on that and the bike, just to be sure.

Here's how i've done it. I've applied some grass with my DIY static grass applicator ( made with an electric mosquito racket, less than 10$ overall cost, very easy to make ), than used some spray glue over it than applied some snow with the soda and a sieve just like if it was actually snowing, and than sealed the snow spraying over some more glue. Everything seem to stay in place and the effect i think is quite good. ( don't mind the cross, i've applied a clothespin to glue it in position ).

the little plants are just electric copper wire soaked in tamiya putty and painted. the barbed wire is just electric wire twisted with an electric screwdriver. the mud is just plaster

So this is the base:

0Y2RVON.jpg

lDutVil.jpg

here some details. Please notice the effect of the snow over the grass, i think it really gives a beautiful touch

wdDEBmW.jpg

vxOSR8E.jpg

and just to give a taste of the final result, i've placed the tank over it

whRcZQt.jpg

tiSkgjv.jpg

Nm4hxOm.jpg

i don't know if it's just me but it's like the camo makes much more sense and feels much more authentic just watching the tank in an actually snowy environment. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

still working on the sherman by the way. Added some pigment layers, still work in progress. I've added a snow effect on the motorbike and sparkled it with dead leaves, the diorama is almost complete, i'll have to add some puddle and blend the tank mud when the tank is complete. here how it looks now.

i'm definitely pleased with the way the diorma has turned out

3zPLAro.jpg

dGq9OUp.jpg

Q8EOXOP.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

painted and added tracks.

Added logs on the side. 

added tow cable. ( logs are tied to tow cable as seen in real pictures ).

decorations on the front should be the one you see there, i'll add some rope to keep them togheter.

I may eventually decide to add some single track links as extra armor in front of driver position. 

i still have to add figures,

- mud

- snow patches.

- ropes

- all the turret decorations including backpacks

but this should start to give an idea of the final look ( pigments are done on the main hull, i have to add thick mud patches around the lower hull to complete the weathering there ).

ceFlRcP.jpg

v46P4Ml.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

I see right the first buggie front wheel is dragged by the track up? I had this in my Sherman and decided to glue the buggies solid.

Interesting diorama.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kris B said:

I see right the first buggie front wheel is dragged by the track up? I had this in my Sherman and decided to glue the buggies solid.

Interesting diorama.

you've definitely a good eye for details. :wink:  i think i'll absolutely do as you suggest before applying mud.

Edited by cambridge

another little update: i drilled a hole in the underside of the tank and put a screw trough it, so now the tank is officially stuck to the diorama.

i've added decorations to the turret. these are some backpacks i've made using green stuff and a blanket over them to protect them from snow.  i'm still undecided if adding or not two spare tracks on the sides of the turret as extra armor. apart from that i think the decorations are complete, i'm not planning to add anything else ( apart two figures ) 

i've started to add thick mud to the tracks. i've mixed some grass to the mud. this is also blending in the tank with the diorama. the mud work is not yet complete but should give an idea of the final result. 

3Kx87kX.jpg

a4hBikj.jpg

so here you can see the ropes, the backpacks, the bucket ( you can't have a tank without a bucket! ) and on the right the canister is cleverly hanged at the ropes and is used to keep their tension. 

Ak5BQz7.jpg

on the front i've added the german gas mask, and a cable reel. in the picutre one track has mud applied the other hasn't. 

jNwk3Oy.jpg

and here's the thick mud applied. 

so, what's left to do: 

- add figures

- finish thick mud on tracks

- add some lighter mud splash on the sides and back. 

- add some little snow patches similar to the ones on the motorbike

- add water puddle and water streaks of melting snow on the hull.

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

do you think the camo does his job now that you see it almost finished? 

i mean i'm the first to admit is not the most eye-candy camo you'll see around, but is different from the usual "all white washed out" you usually see for winter shermans i wanted to do something different and original

Edited by cambridge

Another update. I've worked on the wooden base this time. Painted and laquered. That is actually something i should have done at the start not at the end but, you do errors you learn things.

Added also a plaque too but that is temporary.

i think this gives it a more classy look compared to the raw wood. 

now i just need to add figures, do some little fine tuning here and there but it's almost done. 

HZRPIe2.jpg

nENVeb8.jpg

t5wQkrH.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1