Italeri 1/35 Sherman "world of tank" m4a1(76)

15 hours ago, Cromwell said:

How did you clone the track?

sounds like a handy trick to have up your sleeve

the combo blue stuff/green stuff.  i put some blue stuff around the vinil track of the model to make the mould, than used green stuff inside the mold to obtain the clone. you can find it on amazon/ebay, it's works nice, at least until 3d printing will make it useless :D 

i have to say i haven't tried other products to compare but blue stuff works quite well, it's easy to use, you only need hot water, it's clean, it doesn't stick or dirt, it fits around shapes well and it gets solid in 5 minutes. It's pretty clever material and fun to work with. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

air compressor still down. Proceding with the sidecar. I've painted and unpainted it. This is the effect. Still need to add details and oils and powders but this should already give an overall idea

Tq6d6Zq.jpg

d02tnsf.jpg

D4vm9Z1.jpg

WdPKpC3.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

added pigments and oils to the zundapp, is more or less finished, i'll add final details when it's in the diorama. 

While i'm still with no airbrush i'll start some work on the details of the tank. I'm planning to add decorations over the hull like spare wheels, spare tracks, boxes and sacks, I've already cloned some spare wheel, and spare tracks. I'll clone some more than i'll start to make sacks and other ornaments with greenstuff. 

o3sGa4M.jpg

5NJxvmf.jpg

• Like 1

adding some details will still on hold with the airbrush.

0TVuhNs.jpg

since i'm planning to make a winter version of it, i've added a fabric cover to the front gun made with green stuff ( i'm gonna make a cover for the main gun mouth too )

I've also made a wooden crate and a wooden plank with balsa wood i had. 

i made a spare wheel with green stuff that i've already painted ( well i know it must be fixed ) and i've made a sand bag ( when is dry i'll add some more bags ). 

meanwhile i'm making some spare canister tanks with green stuff, more wooden boxes, spare tracks and buckets to add on the back. 

Edited by cambridge

i started to work on the base for the display of the model. the inspiration will be this picture ( i'm also planning to produce a similar winter camouflage ) 

75ID_Riedwihr_45-1.jpg

so here's the layer of material ( it's simply plaster ) 

3T1PIC6.jpg

a first hand of color

CTP9Tgc.jpg

a wash of dark black to enhance the shadows

ykyq8bm.jpg

and this will be the way it will be displayed

PGXadct.jpg

the base still needs lot of work. I'm planning to add snow on the sides of the road, add dead leaves all and around, add some puddle of water in the mud, add some dead branches like seen in the picture.  But this should at least give an idea.

also, apparently i've found a way to use the airbrush just charging at low pressure the tank of the air compressor. So i'll try to apply the clear layer over the sherman and move on with the painting. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

adding some more details to the base. i've added a barbwire fence and some young tree. The trees will remain naked since it's supposed to be in winter. I'm planning to add some snow to the sides of the road and the trees will pop out trough that. i'll add some dead leaves and some puddles here and there in the mud too. 

i've also digged holes for the tracks in order to not give the impression of the tank "floating" over the mud. 

CaoYmCB.jpg

2In9OkJ.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

this is a work in progress showing more or less the objects i'm planning to add as decorations on the tanks. Of course it lacks the ropes, the sheets are still to be coloured and i'm adding some minor details ( like buckets, canisters... ) but should give an idea of the final result. 

the crates are made of balsa wood, the sheets are just a paper tissue wet with a mixture of water and vinil glue to make it hard, the other details are made with green stuff, still to be properly sanded and painted.

i've also made a wooden cross to add eventually as a decoration in the diorama.

wAe1b19.jpg

wQFnQzS.jpg

2xjd7HL.jpg

SlBCFoU.jpg

these are just front and back. i'm planning to add tree trunks on one side and adding some backpacks and some spare tracks on the turret. 

Edited by cambridge

so now i've added some color to it, and i've been able to airbrush with clear coat the tank, so i can move on with it. 

i'm actually quite satisfied with the final look of the parts made with paper tissue, it's my first attempt using it and it actually end up offering a very realistic outcome, better than resin parts you can find and is virtually gratis. 

the front will look more or less like this ( the canister and sandbags have to be painted ofcourse ), i'm still thinking if adding or not some spare tracks as extra protection. 

E89BHLi.jpg

the back is more or less done, i'll have to fix the ropes once the tank is painted and add eventually some more canister and of course a bucket

wBX3J5F.jpg

4qrRqIp.jpg

on the side you can see the cross painted and i'm preparing three trunk to fix with ropes on the side of the tank.

i'm also creating some backpack with milliput to attack on the turret but they're still very WIP. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cromwell said:

You made a super little wooden box on the mudguard 

it's actually quite easy and quick to make ( it really takes 5 minutes ) and offer good result for example trucks boxes and things like that. You just take a balsa square rod, that is probably a 2x2mm that's the material you use for ship models. You cut it the length you need ( for a square box it was 8mm ) and glue it side by side with some vinil glue. Than you obtain one layer. You do as many layer as you need your box to be tall ( in that case 2 ). than you take a balsa board like 1mm wide or less and you cut and glue it on the sides than you sand it to make it even and that's it. 

Than you can paint it with diluted oil paint so it can soak in the wood while still showing its natural wooden texture and you finish with very diluted black oil paint so you highligt the space within the boards and you end up with a very convincing wooden box since it is in fact a wooden box :D 

Edited by cambridge

On 2/5/2017 at 15:31, Cromwell said:

Like it:idea:

having any troops with it?

I'm planning to leave a couple of hatches open with driver and captain popping out, using the figures present in the kit.

i've also bought just this guy, it's coming from china so it will take a month. I won't add more footed figures cause the space on the board i've used is limited.

https://it.aliexpress.com/store/product/1-35-US-3rd-Armored-Division-Staff-Sergeant/510482_32798876271.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.XfMVMf

on the same site you can find lots of nice figures if you're planning to add them to your models. 

Edited by cambridge

Silly question Cambridge what brand of tissue? it takes on a canvas effect very well, prior to painting it looks a bit rough. what is vinyl glue?

Looking rough, ready and battle weary carrying the crews comforts, as we used to say anyone can be uncomfortable.

6 hours ago, Wogga said:

Silly question Cambridge what brand of tissue? it takes on a canvas effect very well, prior to painting it looks a bit rough. what is vinyl glue?

Looking rough, ready and battle weary carrying the crews comforts, as we used to say anyone can be uncomfortable.

actually i have no clue, i buy them at the local discount market, they're regular nose paper tissue , the only thing i can tell is they have no drawing or engravings and that they are made of two layers.

the glue i think the correct english translation everyone is familiar with is PVA glue, that kind of glue in my country is usually called "vynilic glue" so i mistranslated it.

To be 100% sure, the brand i use here is Vinavil, i tell you so you can check if i'm describing the right kind of glue. 

to be honest the fact that it looks a bit rough is probably due to the quality of the camera on my phone that i'm using for taking the pictures but again i wasn't expecting a final result so good, it's a short time i'm back into modelling and this is the first time i play with tissues and glue and i'm pretty satisfied with the result

Edited by cambridge

I've got one of these on the go now. It's gonna be commonwealth or allied probably polish or the dragoon guards. 

Rather than use mr surfaces to get the cast texture I painted the hull and turret with liquid glue and stipples with a brush.

On the bottom of each of the bogies there are 3 bolt heads missing easy to replicate with a bit of stretched sprue 

now i'm facing a little conundrum: i wanted to do a whitewash over this tank. Should i airbrush the wash and make it looks nice and shaded or should i go right with the brush and "mop it"? it wouldn't look as good but it feels like it's more true to examples i see from original pictures. also i've just learnt that shermans paint didn't chip. I will chip and wear down the whitewash but the olive drab finishing will remain as it is. 

M4_with_winter_camouflage_and_Soldiers_i

WW-M36-Example.jpg

• Like 1

I think the hairy stick approach would be best. Most if not all of the winter pictures of afv's I've seen have the rough edge look. 

Failing that

Practice on on an old model with both types of finish to see which one you prefer

• Like 1

so, here's the winter camo.

The main question was: "how do you make something that is supposed to look bad to actually look good?" the answer is, i don't know if i hit the nail with it, but anyway this is the result i came up with.

first of all i've coated the whole model in a couple of layers of hairspray, i've chosed that approach for the following wearing out. 

i than started with a double approach for the painting: i've made both brush strokes all around the sides and than airbrushed a soft layer of white to somehow blend it in.

i've also lowered the pressure of the airbrush at one point to make it spit a bit, and in some places diluted the paint in order to make it splash/flow like somone has thrown a bucket of paint at it, All to add some general mess and diversity to the camo.

So this is the camo i came up with:

t0a6417.jpg

OVVmmtp.jpg

well it looks like an abandoned tank on wich some noob street artist has practiced. But it's not over yet.

In fact after this i've used a toothbrush to remove part of the white paint to make it look irregular and worn out. So this is basically the final result i've come up with:

sdduaG3.jpg

1AtopEu.jpg

fw6PZQS.jpg

13cHWip.jpg

So more or less this is the final winter camouflage i intended to portray on this tank. Once again, this is the source of inspiration for this camouflage. 

I didn't want to make those plain white/worn out sherman you see all over the internet, i wanted to make something different and more original. 

now, honestly, does it look "beautiful"? well, not very much. But does it look authentic? well, i think in the end it does, wich should be the main point of the work. Probably a more experienced modellist could have come up with something looking better but i feel at least i haven't missed the point.

Please keep in mind that this still is the plain camo, i still have to add washings, leaking, pigments, mud and all of that, this will probably ( at least hopefully ) drastically improve the overall look of it, expecially the mud.

oh, another thing. I didn't like the antenna mount in the kit so i came up with my homemade MP48 antenna mount, i think it looks fairly decent. 

444ILly.jpg

Edited by cambridge

since i'm here i'm open to any suggestion for making a convincing and good looking frost/icy effect on the sides of the tank. I'm not still sure i'm going to apply it but at least i could have some instruction to follow in the case.  

Ooh make me an antenna looks grrrrreat

the paint job will looks good. It will tone down with a bit of weathering

as for frost experiment with pva glue dries clear like ice

keep up the good work:idea:

• Like 1