Stearman PT-17 Kaydet, 4 BFTS, Falcon Field, Arizona

Hi Folks, this is my first completed model for about a year. This is the Revell 1/48 Stearman Pt-17 Kaydet, with Iliad Decals, Yahu Instrument panel, and some additional extras I have made such as the ignition harness. The rigging is ez-line painted with a silver coloured sharpie. First Bi-plane for me but I had to do one and it is such a lovely kit that goes together without any problems. Painted using Mr Hobby and Vallejo paints.

The aircraft is interesting to me as I spent 5 months in Phoenix, Arizona undertaking commercial pilot training. This aircraft was used by No. 4 British Flying Training School based at Falcon Field under one of the 'Towers Scheme.' A plaque stands there today to commemorate the training and the personnel killed whilst carrying out their duties.

6.jpg

5.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

11.jpg

Here is a link to the original photo: BP30.jpg

Here are a few photos of when I was at Falcon Field: 

Mesa%20029.jpg

Mesa%20001.jpg

Mesa%20034.jpg

Mesa%20003.jpg

A couple of little details are missing: spreader bar etc but all will be added at some point!

Nick 

• Like 21

Wow what a superb little model,..... you`ve done a brilliant job of it and a nice personal connection too!

I`ve flown in a Stearman twice and it is a superb aeroplane;

Stearman%20Flight%20at%20Speke_zpsrelkzw

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Ah great Tony! I should've take the chance whilst I was out there, would've only been something like £50 for half hr! The Harpoon painted as a Ventura? is for you btw, I've no idea whats going on with the paint job!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Ah great Tony! I should've take the chance whilst I was out there, would've only been something like £50 for half hr! The Harpoon painted as a Ventura? is for you btw, I've no idea whats going on with the paint job!

Yeah my Harvard flight out there was much cheaper than over here,..... the Stearman flight was actually from Speke, hence the fleece jacket!! We ended up flying along the Mersey below the cloud base and were below the birds on the Liver building when we entered a thick cloud bank,......quick wingover and back to Speke to land with the cloud chasing us,..... a bit hairey but bloody exciting! 

I did wonder about the Harpoon wearing its quasi Ventura colours and had to double take on the cockpit canopy just to make sure!

You`ve made me want to dig out my Revell Stearman,..... which will be a yellow RCAF one!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Nice build, get them javelins on there!  I was lucky enough to get paid to fly a Stearman for awhile.  Wasn't a great lot of money, but still a good thing they didn't figure out I would have done it for free!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice build, get them javelins on there!  I was lucky enough to get paid to fly a Stearman for awhile.  Wasn't a great lot of money, but still a good thing they didn't figure out I would have done it for free!

Superb, wherabouts was that? Closest airfield to me is Goodwood where a Stearman lives in a similar colour scheme in fact. I'd love to get up in one!

18 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Superb, wherabouts was that? Closest airfield to me is Goodwood where a Stearman lives in a similar colour scheme in fact. I'd love to get up in one!

Well, I'm an old fart and it was in the late 70's.  We towed banners with the airplane in the Sacramento California area, it was based at Woodland Watts Airport, O41.  It lives in San Luis Obispo now, still owned by the same fellow. 

39WR001.jpg

And here is the Revell 1/48 kit in those markings:

0231a75.jpg

Edited by jeaton01
added photo
  • Like 1