Hurricane IID 1/48

Aerofix

I would like to build Hurricane IID in 1/48. Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable donor kit as there are no IID's that I can find? Also, are there aftermarket parts for the conversion or is it a scratch build? Finally, if the latter, where could I get some decent plans? I have my valium on order in preparation!

Thanks David

Hi, Aerofix,

I understand you are not able to find a Hasegawa IId boxing, which would solve your problems in a rather neat way (I am building one at this very moment!) I would advise you double your efforts in ebay. I see no suitable kit just now, either side of the pond, but that is a fluid situation to say the least.

That said, I would advise getting a Hasegawa IIc Trop, with the Vokes filter, and then a Hobbycraft IId, as a donor for the gun pods. I think currently there are no aftermarket pieces for them. Better gun muzzles can be obtained from Quickboost (but you will nevertheless have to sand off the "muzzle brakes" or fill in the muzzles). You could even use the Vokes filter from the HC kit, should a Hase IIc Trop be unobtainable (ask me how I know).

Depending on which side of the pond you are, there are several nice Hurris IIc Trop on ebay.

Hope that helps

Fernando

Depending on your budget, maybe THIS will help you out.  It's started, so you could either finish it or pilfer the bits required and build your own.  HTH.

Edited by Wm Blecky

As has been said, Hobbycraft had a kit which had the gun pods (I don't know if it's really a proper IIc), and IIRC the venerable Monogram did so, too. The Monogram had a lot of extra parts, maybe someone has some spares.

14 hours ago, Aerofix said:

I would like to build Hurricane IID in 1/48. Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable donor kit as there are no IID's that I can find? Also, are there aftermarket parts for the conversion or is it a scratch build? Finally, if the latter, where could I get some decent plans? I have my valium on order in preparation!

Thanks David

HI David

in this thread, there are details of the the (probable ) wing panelling, and plans of the guns, plus other bits of information.

Note link to the VVS Hurricane, which has some great detail shots.

http://alternathistory.com/ispytano-v-sssr-istrebitel-shturmovik-hawker-hurricane-iid

and this with a fascinating youtube link

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

As has been said, Hobbycraft had a kit which had the gun pods (I don't know if it's really a proper IIc), and IIRC the venerable Monogram did so, too. The Monogram had a lot of extra parts, maybe someone has some spares.

The Hobbycraft kit OOB is an early IIC, but they all came with the 40mm guns.

the Monogram kit is closest to a Mk IIA, but came with various bits, the 40 mm gun pods look OK from memory, I've not sat and compared the gun pods with the Hase offerings. 

David if you get really stuck I'm sure I have spares gun from some source!  PM if so.

Fernando is correect, your best starting kit is a Hase IIC, ideally the Trop version,( though I suspect the trop filter from the new tool Airfix could be modified,need to check) the Hase IID kit is just the IIc kit with gun pods, (as hase only tooled up two wings) so some panelling needs some filling and rescribing.

the Hase IIc kit was reboxed by Revell of germany, and this is often easier to find, though the IIC kits is the commonest Hase Hurricane kit out there

see

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48b.htm

for what is what hase boxing. I'd be less annoyed at Hase except their decals are usually junk.

Do you want the tweak list for the Hase kit?   The hardest job is the blinking awful fabric, bit it needs work elsewhere.  

Note, there are not a lot of marking choices available as decals, though many can be assembled from spares,  I can only think of a few documented IId schemes, 

UK based gun training unit (name escapes me, book not to hand)

164 Sq UK (debate as if they are IID or IV)

184 Sq had IID's  though no clear photos of codes/serial

http://www.184squadron.com/

has ORB listing serials of IIDs, and IIRC code letters.

6 Sq, the famous JV-Z, BP188

7 Sq SAAF, which does have neat colour pic (some commnest say they are 6 sq though)

3032006057_b228723d79_o.jpgSAAF Hurricane's by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

The 20 sq planes in the SEAC link

the 2 VVS options mentioned.

HTH

T

• Like 1

If you are dead set on 1/48 to fit in with other models then of course that makes sense for you, so best of luck finding the bits.

If you have some flexibility on scale, and n case you're not aware of it, bear in mind that there is a IId version coming of the absolutely lovely 1/32 Fly kit, which is arguably the best Hurricane kit family in any scale, and conspiculously well priced for what you get.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Hi David,

I might have some Hurricane IID cannons in the spares box, they`ll be off the Hobbycraft kit, you can have them if you want, then all you need is to find a suitable MK IIA,B or C to put them on.

Hope this helps

Russ

On 4/4/2017 at 19:09, russ c said:

Hi David,

I might have some Hurricane IID cannons in the spares box, they`ll be off the Hobbycraft kit, you can have them if you want, then all you need is to find a suitable MK IIA,B or C to put them on.

Hope this helps

Russ

unless you want a lot of filling and rescribing, you want to start with a C wing, as can be seen below

the C and D wing are different, I presume the D wing was based on a modified C wing, but it needs a big hole in the bottom for the ammo drum, and has only one smaller panel behind the main gun access doors, plus numerous other changes.

hurri2d.jpg

HurricaneIIdwingpanels1-24th.jpg

The IV wing seems to have done away with the inner larger door, the Belgrade plane does not have it at least.

the D and IV wing are based on the C wing, deleting or changing access hatches as needed.

see below.

The C wing has 4 access panel, 2 per cannon.

while the D only has 1 small rear panel, apparently to access the rear of the 40mm gun. As this is a modfied 'C' wing this makes sense, easier to build the main access panels as the C but delete the un-needed one in the rear wing skinning, as can be seen in the IV pics below.

Now, I still don't have a complete answer on the IV. THis is from another thread.

the MK IV has a different panel arrangement, one large panel in the outer position,(for the browning 0.303)and a metal strip not seen on the IIC on the outer edge. And one smaller panel behind the main spar in the inner position for access to the 40mm gun when fitted.

HuIVBelDSC04898.jpg

note the blanked out landing light port next to yellow stripe, the 0.303 sighting gun port, and the blanked over inner port, which seems to show that the IV wing was based on a modified IIC wing.

The thing on the wing leading edge next to the joining strip is a camera gun port.

Note HuIVBelDSC04975.jpg

from Tomislav's build, very useful underside detail, note metal plate, which blanks off the bay where the 40mm ammo drum is, stubs for attaching 40 mm gun, and ejector slot for the 0.303 Browning sighting gun.

Of note is the metal strip just by the shell ejector slot, in what looks like the same position as the one on the upper wing.

Are the little bumps further forward to do with positioning of the drop tanks?

Muzej_08.JPG

Thanks to Tomislav for the photos and helping to answer to my question!

It's worth noting that the only flying Mk IV KZ321/G-HURY, flies with a C wing with 20mm cannon....

There are only 3 Mk IV's left, the other two are the one in Belgrade and one in the Thinktank in Birmingham, hanging up and painted in faux BoB markings...with a C roundel under the wings :(

more threads

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927188-hurricane-mk-iid-in-seac/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936170-mk-iid-hurricane-question/

one useful thing about the Hasegawa IIc is they come with the wing inserts (part 9/10) to do a IId/IV wing, it's the leading edge part with the blanked off port and the 0.303 gun port.

HTH

T

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have decided to wait for the Fly 1/32 kit which my good friend Martin at T7 Models Truro is going to source for me when it is released. In the meantime, thanks for all the reference material which is a great help.

Regards David

I'm confident that you will be impressed. I am also eagerly awaiting the Fly IID. The IIC was the kit release of 2016 for me. Fingers crossed that they will have all the IId panel lines right on the wing but at least we know the underlying kit is the right shape, and well detailed.