Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Managed to ping off a cabane while trying to rig them, found it after much searching. Ffffff-orget this for the evening.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I leave pre-monocoque modelling to the more skilled and patient

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I leave pre-monocoque modelling to the more skilled and patient

I'm neither, but I am very determined when angry, for very short periods of time, especially if it doesn't require me to really change anything fundamentally lacking about myself. So rigging is about the only challenge I'm fitted for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm neither, but I am very determined when angry, for very short periods of time, especially if it doesn't require me to really change anything fundamentally lacking about myself. So rigging is about the only challenge I'm fitted for.

Give it a day or a week before trying again. Swim the seas, f()k a backpacker in LOCAL CITY, take them to stand on a fake wall in China, shout across to whoever is paying attention the otherside;,.. lose innocence in Korean Disneyworld [LOTI], drown on a ferry and broach the surface in a sea of Sino-Soviet submarines blank firing into the South China Sea and Send South for more and protest outside your door, BIGLY, your/Your'e'/yore literally anywhere in the world. Home and stay and run down the Eau and buy height before osiers and rotten [sh'yte] go under again.

Poetry, that is!

Edited by Killingholme
  • Haha 1

On 02/08/2017 at 11:48 PM, Procopius said:

I feel as if I've just read a Gregory Corso poem.

Ah come on, a bit of free verse doesn't hurt anyone does it -Baddah Boom-Baddaj-Hejh...[dancing emoji.]CORSO? just as crazy as the other Beat poets, but never remembered. who rose like an angel over the roof tops and sang Italian song, but in words. 

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

I wonder where I am...

There is a fine piece of model making

There is also cultural referring about which I have no inkling

Wall in China that is not the one Mr Simon.P sang about?

Confused is today's colour.   😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some rigging work now begins in earnest.

36222383242_12caeb801b_k.jpg20170805_141940 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36345481786_437222db3b_k.jpg20170805_141949 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36390426305_2e01753c94_k.jpg2017-08-05_02-27-39 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Also, for @Ex-FAAWAFU, some reassurance that the senior service occupies a commensurate portion of my bookshelves:

35993828610_f5ffb28136_k.jpg20170805_143025 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35993828480_b62af3a7f0_k.jpg20170805_143032 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35993827820_2e9f982b74_k.jpg20170805_143043 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35993833460_7a440a3c36_k.jpg20170805_143108 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35993831100_e01b60e033_k.jpg20170805_143054 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35993830430_5cc34e65ac_k.jpg20170805_143049 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 10

Just a thought

Might it be a good idea to 'matt-en' that paint before you rig the upper wings PC?

It might be hard to keep the mattness 'in bulk' off the flying wires

by the way, you beat me

Most of my naval stuff is fiction, from the venerable Moby D and via Mr Douglas Reeman and Sam Llewellyn

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Might it be a good idea to 'matt-en' that paint before you rig the upper wings PC?

It might be hard to keep the mattness 'in bulk' off the flying wires

Good call, Perd!

• Like 1

Also, Mrs P now likes "Keith Douglas" for the new baby, which I can deal with as it's both Keith Park and Keith Douglas proper, who's my favourite poet of the war.

• Like 4

Keith?

Douglas?

Fine names, if I hadn't been just plain Bill (OK, the W name) I'd have been happy to be so named

(Douglas was of course one of the Outlaws with my namesake, young master Brown)

:thumbsup:

Rigging continues. There's a lot of prepwork, and undoubtedly it will all go wrong when I put the top wing on.

35597479543_341a7e10bc_k.jpg20170806_100127 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The Gauntlet had a lot of rigging, and the kit diagram doesn't show all of it. Like stencils, my philosophy with rigging is to get the highlights, which in this case is the profusion of wires sticking out of each wing bay. Kee-rist.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

and Keith Douglas proper, who's my favourite poet of the war.

I play World of Tanks under the name  DouglasK for the same reason.

(You'll always recognise me in a game, I'm the one driving a Centurion downhill very fast in the hope that the wind will put the flames out...)

32 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Rigging continues. There's a lot of prepwork, and undoubtedly it will all go wrong when I put the top wing on.

35597479543_341a7e10bc_k.jpg

That looks suspiciously like the early stages of an Elton John hair transplant diorama in 

the making PC, if I might make so bold.

I wish you luck with this complex weave!

Tony

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

An enviable book collection to be sure. I'm at a loss to know how you manage your time - husband, father, historian, philosopher, modeller, worker bee...what is the secret? Single malt is to die for, but it hardly improves my time management skill.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

An enviable book collection to be sure. I'm at a loss to know how you manage your time - husband, father, historian, philosopher, modeller, worker bee...what is the secret? Single malt is to die for, but it hardly improves my time management skill.   :)

My secret is that I'm not very good at any of those things.

I've tried three times this afternoon to get the top wing on and rig the model. So far my efforts haven't been crowned with success, but I have explosively lost my temper each time. The odds of my not smashing this with a rubber mallet and just moving on are looking worse with each try. The model is extremely unlikely to survive the day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I haven't seen any struts in place yet so am assuming (normally a mistake) that you're trying to juggle wings & struts at same time. If its not too late, try this. cut a piece of clear sheet to roughly top wing size. Place top wing upside down on bench with clear shape on top of that. At this stage mark the side of clear nearest to you with a B ( for bottom) so you know which side goes down afterwards, mark top wing strut locations on clear shape, drill strut locations out of clear shape & use as a jig to position the struts while you glue them in place on the bottom wing & hold them in place while the glue dries. The top wing should now just drop into place with minimal tweeking. Simples. :)

Steve.

of course if you've already given it the rubber mallet treatment you can ignore the preceding passage. :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I haven't seen any struts in place yet so am assuming (normally a mistake) that you're trying to juggle wings & struts at same time. If its not too late, try this. cut a piece of clear sheet to roughly top wing size. Place top wing upside down on bench with clear shape on top of that. At this stage mark the side of clear nearest to you with a B ( for bottom) so you know which side goes down afterwards, mark top wing strut locations on clear shape, drill strut locations out of clear shape & use as a jig to position the struts while you glue them in place on the bottom wing & hold them in place while the glue dries. The top wing should now just drop into place with minimal tweeking. Simples. :)

Steve.

of course if you've already given it the rubber mallet treatment you can ignore the preceding passage. :D

This is a really good idea, I'll have to remember this the next time I'm trying to rig something. Uh, except that rubber mallet part.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, amblypygid said:

Do not forget the deep-fried Creme Egg! Not something I've tried, as I find them too sickly in their raw form, but I am eagerly anticipating deep fried haggis and deep fried black pudding next time I venture across the border.

Never forgetting the humble Red pudding nor the magnificent White pudding, covered in lashings of Edinburgh's very own Salt & Sauce. And if not in the mood for an Irn Bru (now available as an ice cream flavour) how about some Red Kola or an old childhood favourite of mine Moray Cup?

Great work on the sight PC, looking at those pictures of all that rigging ....er...I don't feel very well. Good luck with that lot!  

And at least one book in common!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

This is a really good idea, I'll have to remember this the next time I'm trying to rig something. Uh, except that rubber mallet part.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm not claiming it as an original idea though, I saw it on a forum, maybe even this one & it seemed such a good method I've remembered it since.

Steve.

I didn't smash the kit. But I have boxed it up and set it aside for another time in my life. Perhaps my executors will finish it for me. 

It's hard to be sure, because of the crudity of the parts and the very simplified drawings in the instructions, but it certainly seems as if the cabane struts are either too long, or the interplane struts are too short. I've heard a mix of comments on this subject, and I think I erred in affixing the wings to the cabanes first. If I'd done the interplanes, it would have been easier to then add the cabanes and bully them to fit (though of course infinitely hard to rig them).

I'm leaving for New York on Wednesday for work, and I won't be back until the 15th -- one of my sisters is expecting her first child any day now, so between that and the return of Mrs P and our demogorgon, also known as Winston, my time may be a bit limited, but I hope to start on the IBG RWD-8 that @GrzeM very generously provided me with some decals and resin goodies for.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2