Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

He was, I believe, with the Lowland division, but he'd been commissioned and transferred to the RAEC by 1944 (which is when, coincidentally, he married mum).

As for Oshkosh, sadly I am not :nah:. The best I get is to step outside the office (we're right next to Timmerman Airport) and occasionally hear aircraft overfly on their way north. Maybe next year. But, enjoy!

• Like 1

Very nice PC - I like the look of that burnt exhaust; must give it a try soon.

The cowling's looking good too.

Oshkosh - envious, have a great time.

Great to have you back :) 

• Like 1

"Hyperactive shout goblin" 

brilliant! :rofl:

Nice to have you back PC. ;) The Gauntlet is looking super cool, the stash as Mr Baron so wonderfully pointed out had me zooming in and cooing over how many wonderful boxes you have.

mine is tiny in comparison. A boy could get a complex. :o

great stuff kid.

johnny

• Like 1

Everything they said PC :ditto: .

I too spent an enjoyable 15 minutes or so looking through your splendid stash :).

It bears quite a resemblance to my own in terms of subject matter; I found myself nodding in agreement and understanding, over choices of kit :like:.

The main difference between stashes is that mine is around 900 miles away in a cage in a storage facility, covered in dust, packed randomly in ever drying decomposing boxes and bags (heat) and a huge mess :confused: .

Yours is very neat, clean, accessible and well organised into understandable categories :).

The Gauntlet is looking good; I very much like the shade of dark brown.

Great stuff

TonyT

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

mine is tiny in comparison. A boy could get a complex. :o

Small...but perfectly formed?

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Yours is very neat, clean, accessible and well organised into understandable categories :).

I'd like that notarized to present to my wife, thanks.

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The Gauntlet is looking good; I very much like the shade of dark brown.

Sovereign Models Colourcoats! (Who I am STILL not, believe it or not, in an endorsement deal with.)

You can't see it, but this is glossier than an otter soaked in baby oil right now:

35799798010_a0535f0641_k.jpg20170726_214347 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also did the top wing and cowl:

35386446583_8dc292aa87_k.jpg20170726_214329 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I went to Oshkosh today, but the A400M didn't show up -- nor did they mention it wasn't showing up anywhere on their site or social media...that's cool guys, that's cool, it's only 120 miles away from my house and I could only take one day off this week. Turdburgers.

I did see a few other aircraft, though.

36054821661_03bb354fea_k.jpg20170726_103357 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36054820041_7ca974ded5_k.jpg20170726_102508 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36054818431_56df90b9d2_k.jpg20170726_155633 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36147020076_24da4ae1d1_k.jpg20170726_102748 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36054818861_7134fd9c34_k.jpg20170726_112614 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35352169024_fb0817fab8_k.jpg20170726_114700 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35352168224_148ef4e95c_k.jpg20170726_114712 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36054813601_b010ae22ef_k.jpg20170726_115344 by Edward IX, on Flickr

36057575111_137e3177cf_k.jpg2017-07-26_10-22-35 by Edward IX, on Flickr

They let you get pretty close.

• Like 17

A couple of Tonka's in the stash - always knew you were a decent cove! And a couple more that I have as well, although maybe not so many Spitfires! 

Lovely photo's of the aircraft at the Air Show. Looks like it was wet and a Buff, brings back happy memories (honest) of many a Battle of Britain Air Show at RAF Leuchars. But where are the blokes with the step ladders? 

• Like 1

I tried to like your Oshkosk post but I've done my 50 for the day so I LIKE it but would have been well peed at the unannounced no show of the A400. Is that a F-86A, hard for me to see with all that shininess. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Nice gloss PC (poor Otter) :D 

Great shots too, especially the Spitfire exhausts - it's nice to see that the guys who look after the real thing spend time on weathering too eh? :D :mental: 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

36054813601_b010ae22ef_k.jpg

Sorry to hear the A400M was a no-show - maybe next year they'll make up for it.

An excellent shot of those exhausts, by the way! And every one markedly different from the others... interesting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

An excellent shot of those exhausts, by the way! And every one markedly different from the others... interesting.

That's going to be a real bugger to do in 1/72. ;):D

Steve.

• Like 3

35442615263_a8ff3b0e95_k.jpg2017-07-29_03-03-48 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Ready for decals on the fuselage and lower wing, and attaching the cowl. 

I saw Dunkirk last night. I'm of mixed feelings on it. I think it was a technically well-made film, far better than disjointed old Battle of Britain, with its subplot that goes nowhere. Some of the filming was well-done, and overall, I'm glad I went (and even glad I paid an eye-popping $20 for an IMAX ticket). I think however, it's going to age badly, far more so than Battle of Britain -- the reliance on practical effects, while admirable, lets it down badly whenever the ships are shown, and the small numbers of aircraft, flying far too low, make it uncomfortably redolent of those 1960s and 1970s low-budget war movies. Also, whoever told Christopher Nolan that you could make a Yak look like a Spitfire was lying or an idiot, because it flat out didn't work at all. 

But you know, in the end, I cried, and they weren't tears of laughter (though they were of course brawny, manly tears such as a Victorian general might shed, I hasten to add), so it can't have been that bad, can it?

• Like 13

Hello PC,

Run out of like once again, very nice job on the gauntlet ! Congrats !

Nice job too on the photos, really appreciate  the Sabre !

The father of my ex-wife was in Dunkirk too, he was in the french army !

Can tell the story if of any interest !

He has been made prisoner there and spent 5 years in Germany...

I burst in laugh about the hyperactive goblin !:rofl:

Have a very nice modelling Sunday.

You're a man of great taste, I enjoyed your stash !

My stash is almost impossible to photography, almost 400 1.48 kits, classed in huge boxes

Nationality by nationality, there is one of these box dedicated to Spitfire and hurricanes

another one for the Corsairs, Hellcat and wildcats

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 3

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

The father of my ex-wife was in Dunkirk too, he was in the french army !

Please do tell! There's not enough in English on the French contribution to Dunkirk.

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

My stash is almost impossible to photography, almost 400 1.48 kits, classed in huge boxes

Oh dear, wrong scale.

• Like 2

Very nice PC, you obviously haven't lost your special touch :) 

I enjoyed Dunkirk too. Brave to stick to just film.

The original film was on TV here this afternoon (dead stop all other activities - the Sky box is blocked by scaffolding so I couldn't record it) and the same sense of 'Dunkirk Spirit' came across in both. 

We lost the old Army but the shock to the 'establishment' built a new one, with new resolve. Proud to be British.

I agree it may not age as well as The Battle of Britain though - no Susannah!

Note: Most copies of THE photograph appear to be in Photobucket and therefore inaccessible. That's it, they should be punished!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I agree it may not age as well as The Battle of Britain though - no Susannah!

You mean, I aver, not Susannah's gorgeous pins

I am sure you don't mean Susannah's ridiculous shortie haircut which had my mom guffawing when she ever saw the film on the box

(thinks, she and dad were invited to the Birmingham Premiere of the film on its initial release, courtesy of Rank's invitation to the Chairman of the Birmingham RAFA at the time. I wonder if she guffawed then?)

Still my best RAF film so far, by far

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

Susannah York aside, no movie with air fighting in it since has managed to capture the frenetic quality of it quite so well, I think. 

• Like 4

The Gauntlet is looking good, I'm off to see Dunkirk sometime this week, I'm also expecting the odd manly sniffle too. If you want something about Dunkirk to have a manly sniffle to try this one. The Snow Goose, one of my all time fav movies but I blub unashamedly at the end. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Susannah York aside, no movie with air fighting in it since has managed to capture the frenetic quality of it quite so well, I think. 

I realise that you are a young man PC but one should never shove Susannah aside

I agree about the frenetic quality, there was a dispute over the music for the movie but possibly the best compromise they could have made was to use Walton's music on the Battle In The Air sequence

Frenetic at times, then into the looking around for more foes section it gave the film a powerful theme in addition to Goodwin's 

other powerful stuff

Great film

(And Oh Susannah! mmmmm)

• Like 3

You can't imagine what a frustrating experience it was to get this PE windscreen on:

35434145794_1611ed593b_k.jpg20170730_114921 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35462940223_a3234eb7d8_k.jpg20170730_114938 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35434148264_81b9b03c5a_k.jpg20170730_114911 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I lost the first windscreen -- it fell out of my nerveless fingers, bounced off my protruding stomach (which really threw salt in the wound), and then slipped sideways into hyperspace. I had dropped it and found it once before, but now it is gone for ever. I'll need to hit AZ up for a new PE fret for the second kit.

To add insult to injury, the kit part isn't really the right shape at all for the Gauntlet windscreen:

GlosterGAUNTLET.jpg

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Procopius said:

To add insult to injury, the kit part isn't really the right shape at all for the Gauntlet windscreen:

GlosterGAUNTLET.jpg

That engine ain't right for a Gauntlet so who's to say if the windscreen is.