Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

Kind of a mess ?? Nope, regular to me, while you find what you're looking for, where is the problem ??

I used to search for my stuff only when SWMBO has cleaned up the whole thing.

But I'm Lucky enough, she did'nt dare to even have a look in my modelling cabinet.:rambo:

Really like the bunch of Spits, you have another Castle Bromwich for a near future, let's go now !

Glad to see you back, and congrats for the white ensign ! :worthy:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

If, at around nine years old, I had opened an old box in a relative's cellar and found those contents, I may have quite simply passed out :o!

Even now, There's at least a full day of box fondling, runner and resin ravishing, sprue stroking, instruction inspiration, photo-etch fancy, titillating transparency and decal delight in there. 

As Hamlet once said to Ophelia "Get thee to a Spitfire!".

He intended that she finished her Gauntlet first, of course, with haste :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 7

I almost hate to mention it, but that's far from the extent of my 1/72 Spitfires. No further work done today, as we've hit that point in the pregnancy where "do you want to come with us to get ice cream?" is secret code for "I can no longer catch our hyperactive shout-goblin, and I feel guilty about getting dessert for myself unless I stuff a whole soft-serve ice cream cone down his throat, so I need you to chase him around for the forty-five minutes it takes for the ice cream to melt". Sadder and wiser, I know this now.

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I almost hate to mention it, but that's far from the extent of my 1/72 Spitfires.

There's no shame in having lots of Spitfires in the stash. No shame at all.

• Like 5

That is a most attractive colour scheme on the underside of that aircraft in your hand PC. It reminds me of those muted prewar British tourist posters with that small number of colours:

71c4d54b56432c42fe4883a7b3c145e4.jpg

I believe this one shows @CedB on a recent cheese hunt.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Beard said:

There's no shame in having lots of Spitfires in the stash. No shame at all.

Oscar Wilde once said you could never be overeducated or overdressed. If he had lived until 1940 he would also said you can never have too many Spitfires, in all likelihood. 

• Like 6

Well, I felt super lazy, so I only did a tiny bit of masking around the starboard elevator and hoped for the best:

35753363800_cbc0cc597a_k.jpg20170724_203702 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Amazingly, it worked!

35976870222_6b5a2e5a39_k.jpg20170724_203809 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've also masked off the radiator or whatever:

35976868712_46515e9ed8_k.jpg20170724_203825 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So that soonish.

Current state of the stash, loathsome in its immensity:

36104685386_385f21e71f_k.jpg20170724_203903 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35753336900_0e8acffc47_k.jpg20170724_203932 by Edward IX, on Flickr

35976864592_703f90e2f1_k.jpg20170724_203919 by Edward IX, on Flickr

There used to be a lot more aircraft in the display cabinet, but I gave many to Winston, and he's made short work of them. He does like "awapanes", though, and waves to them when they fly by now, so it's just sowing the seeds.

• Like 21

I do like what you're doing with that aircraft PC.:thumbsup2:

Those stash photos. Now don't pretend that you didn't post those knowing that each  of us was going to zoom in and squint at all the lovely detail those photos. 

• Like 4

Top stash.  I love the fact that it is organised - there is a (small but perfectly formed) Naval section of Seafires, Stringbag, Hellcats, Tarpons/Avenger etc.

Just the one helicopter, though (a Merlin).  I assume the rest of your rotary wing goodies are in the Annex...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Just the one helicopter, though (a Merlin).  I assume the rest of your rotary wing goodies are in the Annex...

Oh yes! Three Whirlwinds, three Wessexes, two Sea Kings (one Revel AEW.7, one new Airfix), two Lynxes, another Merlin, a WAH-64D, and some Vietnam War-era US stuff.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...I love the fact that it is organised - there is a (small but perfectly formed) Naval section of Seafires, Stringbag, Hellcats, Tarpons/Avenger etc. ...

I noticed this as well and agree in the broad sense, but am curious as to where your Sea Furies and the next Wyvern (because one is not enough) are stashed?

Winston's very own model shop! 

I have a Spitfire in my stash too...just the one....like everything else....one of each.....140 times.....nearly all WWI though.....apart from about 6 BoB types....

Ian

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh yes! Three Whirlwinds, three Wessexes, two Sea Kings (one Revel AEW.7, one new Airfix), two Lynxes, another Merlin, a WAH-64D, and some Vietnam War-era US stuff.

Good Man!

Martian

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I noticed this as well and agree in the broad sense, but am curious as to where your Sea Furies and the next Wyvern (because one is not enough) are stashed?

I don't have any more Wyverns, even though I like the aircraft and thought the kit was pretty nice too. I have one Special Hobby Sea Fury, but don't really feel up to wrestling with it.

15 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I have a Spitfire in my stash too...just the one....like everything else....one of each.....140 times.....nearly all WWI though.....apart from about 6 BoB types....

I have a lot of Roden SE5as and Camels, but I've built them before and am perhaps understandably reluctant to do it again.

• Like 1

I masked around the radiator grille and sprayed some Alclad burnt exhaust. 

35330105014_44d58795d2_k.jpg20170725_194719 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I have to say, my cheapo Master G-22 airbrush has really grown on me. It was probably made using only a hammer (and that was only used to beat the child laborer fabricating it), but it really does have a nice precise spray and has held up well, with very little overspray. It's so easy to control, I find myself turning to it again and again.

I still need to mask and spray the green for the cowl and for the upper wing. 

36167393565_f0aee1e4c4_k.jpg20170725_194712 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Then we'll need to glosscoat and decal and puzzle out struts and rigging again. Been ages since I rigged a bipe. 

On Friday, I shall go and see the greatest love story put on film in my lifetime, by which I mean of course, Dunkirk. It may well be awful, and I'm emotionally prepared for it to be so (it certainly looks a little historically dubious -- Spitfires flying across the channel on the deck? Lone 109s?), but this is the first time since Battle of Britain something so close to my heart has had a major theatrical release, and the first time in my lifetime. 

• Like 11

That's pretty exceptional feathering there - I shall have to check out the airbrush, although I suspect it's the artist, not the brush.

My dad was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers at the time of Dunkirk, and was therefore one of those evacuated from the beach on the night of the 31st of May/1st of June. Right up until his passing, his only comment on the subject was that he was still annoyed he'd lost his pipe lighter in the surf. He would have been 24 years old at the time :mellow:.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

That's pretty exceptional feathering there - I shall have to check out the airbrush, although I suspect it's the artist, not the brush.

My dad was in the King's Own Scottish Borderers at the time of Dunkirk, and was therefore one of those evacuated from the beach on the night of the 31st of May/1st of June. Right up until his passing, his only comment on the subject was that he was still annoyed he'd lost his pipe lighter in the surf. He would have been 24 years old at the time :mellow:.

Was your father with the 52nd (Lowland) Division? Do you know if he was still with it in 1944 during Walcheren?

Incidentally,  and not to digress, but are you going to Oshkosh, John? I'm headed up tomorrow to (hopefully) see the RAF A400M.

• Like 2