Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

Fan that flame! Better than Oliver IMHO - less musical connotations...

(Thunderstorm has passed so I can get back to the arms of Morpheus*, if these birds stop shouting at each other...)

* What was that old Cowboy comedy on the TV? Can't find it on YouTube. There was a dastardly bar owner and a 'village idiot' helper in the bar. The cad climbs the stairs saying "Ah well, back to the arms of Morpheus" and the helper, sweeping up, says "That's the boss, different girl every night". Still cracks me up :D 

• Like 3

Always wise to check initials. A colleague went through 24 years of life until 'R.C.' became an issue...

Daniel Mann used to work for me, he was by the time of meeting me sick to death of being called 'Dan the man' so I refrained.... however I did send him to work on a brand called Topman for my own amusement. Nice guy, did a good job. Also had a Theresa Green that was friends with my sister in school, my sister was also called Theresa, I remember she got in trouble with a canoe instructor as he was adamant she was lying about her name... names can be unfortunate.

good job no one in school found a silly word the rhymed with Rob...

I'm a fan of Edgar Roosevelt, good ring to it, but then I called my son Montgomery, I like old and interesting names.... the wife was nearly convinced on Odin until she realised it was a Norse god! Powerful name mind, would have sounded bloody good on the primary school register.... and if he had a son he could call him Thor! Cool huh?!

Rob

• Like 2

Being of predominantly Scots decent, I wanted to fill the family register with Douglas, Iain & Hamish. My wife being a good Catholic girl wanted to fill it with Catholic saints names, that was when she learned the true meaning of stubborn, so we compromised with some nice safe Anglo Saxon type names for our three boys, it seems to have worked OK, the first & third are happy to have theirs shortened, the middle one not though there are some safe shortened versions, we'd (I'd) thought that through & the initials aren't something even I could do anything with. Job done. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

No-one's mentioned the obvious 'Gauntlet' as a middle name? He'd be set up from birth then with

1. a suitable fighter pilot's call sign, or:
  2. a name suitable for an investigator: 'Gauntlet P.I.'

-both of which could be enlivened by the presence of a live Falcon perched on his wrist.

I mention this as a minor detail, of course.

• Like 8

My son was given a middle name of Hector; both classical and a nod to Hawker Aircraft. And I couldn't convince my wife of the merits of Victor, so this was close. It also fulfilled my requirement that all of his names should be no longer than six letters (thus avoiding the irritation I feel when I have to squeeze the 24 letters of my first names onto any sort of official form).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

My son was given a middle name of Hector; both classical and a nod to Hawker Aircraft. And I couldn't convince my wife of the merits of Victor, so this was close. It also fulfilled my requirement that all of his names should be no longer than six letters (thus avoiding the irritation I feel when I have to squeeze the 24 letters of my first names onto any sort of official form).

24!!?

I had a partner at work who's sons were named Falconer and Hawker Griffin. Coolest names ever. I used to tease her that her kids would one day have their own spin off of Law and Order. Or that they would hunt monsters in feudal Japan with names like those.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thud4444 said:

I had a partner at work who's sons were named Falconer and Hawker Griffin. Coolest names ever. I used to tease her that her kids would one day have their own spin off of Law and Order. Or that they would hunt monsters in feudal Japan with names like those.

Or, more likely, that they'll end up selling leather mugs at a renaissance faire [sic].

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No-one's mentioned the obvious 'Gauntlet' as a middle name? He'd be set up from birth then with

1. a suitable fighter pilot's call sign, or:
  2. a name suitable for an investigator: 'Gauntlet P.I.'

-both of which could be enlivened by the presence of a live Falcon perched on his wrist.

I mention this as a minor detail, of course.

Well you've sold me! 

• Like 6

It's Memorial Day here, so I visited Private Cyril Evans again. He's buried in Fort Sheridan's cemetery; he died in this country after having been in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. Normally they only use American flags for the tombstones, so last year I went and provided a Union Jack for him. I dropped by this morning and put in another one for him. It looked very beautiful fluttering in the wind amidst the sea of American flags surrounding it. 

34579514630_c45d0019ea_k.jpg2017-05-29_07-59-32 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 28

On 2017-5-27 at 11:03 PM, rob85 said:

Daniel Mann used to work for me, he was by the time of meeting me sick to death of being called 'Dan the man' so I refrained.... however I did send him to work on a brand called Topman for my own amusement. Nice guy, did a good job. Also had a Theresa Green that was friends with my sister in school, my sister was also called Theresa, I remember she got in trouble with a canoe instructor as he was adamant she was lying about her name... names can be unfortunate.

Rob,

When my nephew was born, the brother in law proudly announced he was going to be named Richard William.

Until I pointed out he would be called Dick Willy at school .......

The nephew is now called Ian.

• Like 4

On 29/05/2017 at 2:07 PM, Procopius said:

It's Memorial Day here, so I visited Private Cyril Evans again. He's buried in Fort Sheridan's cemetery; he died in this country after having been in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. Normally they only use American flags for the tombstones, so last year I went and provided a Union Jack for him. I dropped by this morning and put in another one for him. It looked very beautiful fluttering in the wind amidst the sea of American flags surrounding it. 

34579514630_c45d0019ea_k.jpg2017-05-29_07-59-32 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It looks great MR P, a very kind thought 

Rob

• Like 1

On 29/05/2017 at 11:07 PM, Procopius said:

Wonderful PC. 

A beautiful picture too.

:poppy:

TT

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 7:20 AM, Procopius said:

Or, more likely, that they'll end up selling leather mugs at a renaissance faire [sic].

Last I heard one was a Detective with the Tuscaloosa sheriff department and the other was USAF special forces, working with C-17s.   (I cant recall which was which) He sent me a C-17 crew shirt after I said that his son's name was freaking amazing too.  It's Hunter Griffin. 

I still think Griffin is a cool last name.

I got saddled with some difficult to pronounce monstrosity from my French ancestors. 

• Like 1

Thank you PC, for your attention to Private Evans' grave.

It does however, look as though the flag is upside down - not your fault, but those who made it. There's a bar in Hyannis MA where I live called the British Beer Company who fly both US & UK flags, only the UK one is upside down, despite me telling the owner on at least 3 occasions.

Ian

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It does however, look as though the flag is upside down

Oh, how profoundly embarrassing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Oh, how profoundly embarrassing! 

I wouldn't worry PC - not many Brits - honorary or otherwise - understand the asymmetry of the counter charged and fimbriated saltires :)

Altho to be strictly accurate I think that only the St Patrick's saltire is fimbriated.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

On 27/05/2017 at 05:03, TonyTiger66 said:

Around 33 years ago I worked for the British Civil Service. Of course, I signed the Official Secrets Act, but I don't think mentioning a couple of names will matter; I'm giving no information about them.

The first one that springs to mind was a little old lady called 'Fanny Staines'.

:blink:

Then, one that I found difficult to call out for in the waiting room, whilst  still remaining composed:

'Violet Brains'.

The first time I called it, I deliberately tried to make it sound like something else. I knew that the surname 'Death' was, in fact, usually pronounced in the French manner:

'De'ath'. So I shouted:

'Violet Brah Eeeens?'

A little old lady in a blue raincoat and headscarf stood up and shouted:

"It's BRAINS young man!! Like you've got missing from your 'ead!

:(

T

I raise you one Ms Chmelar....

Though having to shout out "Mr King" to a packed waiting room due to the rather unfortunate combination with their first name comes close...

• Like 2

My father worked with a man whose name was Sidebottom, but insisted it should be pronounced Sid-E-Botohm....

R-soul......

Ian

• Like 3