Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Entwhistle?

PC, sadly no, although it would have been a splendidly Victorian name - Entwistle Hughes!

• Like 2

Why not twist your wife's arm and call the kid Procopius the 3rd? Junior does not sound too assertive, so lie and skip one.

Only Americans do this, and it looks great on a business card. Why be shy?

JR

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jean said:

Why not twist your wife's arm and call the kid Procopius the 3rd? Junior does not sound too assertive, so lie and skip one.

Only Americans do this, and it looks great on a business card. Why be shy?

It looks absurd, and you know it. I actually did call myself Edward [Blank] II when I was a pretentious little teenager with delusions of grandeur, because I'm named after my grandfather, but it's not a true II situation, because my parents couldn't spell his middle name, Aloysisus.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It looks absurd, and you know it. I actually did call myself Edward [Blank] II when I was a pretentious little teenager with delusions of grandeur, because I'm named after my grandfather, but it's not a true II situation, because my parents couldn't spell his middle name, Aloysisus.

Aloysius/ Aloysisus... now you are talking! This is a great name! We should go back to these fantastic names of old! Bancroft, Rutherford, Sherlock, Tutmosis, etc.

At this late hour, my memory fails me... And yes, you are right: it does look absurd, but O so American! (No offence meant).

JR

5 minutes ago, jean said:

At this late hour, my memory fails me... And yes, you are right: it does look absurd, but O so American! (No offence meant).

As soon as they set up a republic, they got straight to work figuring out how to set up dynasties again. Senseless. One more reason the Revolutionary War was a mistake.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

As soon as they set up a republic, they got straight to work figuring out how to set up dynasties again. Senseless. One more reason the Revolutionary War was a mistake.

They should have beheaded more people. No such problem in France!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

SICK AGAIN. Jesus Christ, don't have kids, fellas. 

Looks like Winston's off to medical school when he grows up as payback....

• Like 1

Oh dear.

Well, it's too late regarding giving the kids a miss for most of us I think :unsure:..but it's sage advice.

With the benefit of hindsight, I increasingly think that your advice really is the kind that, ironically, I would give to any of the kids/stepkids :rolleyes:.

Sorry to hear you're sick PC. I'm currently confined to bed too. The main thing I'm (still) learning about illness is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much illness is boring and drives us nuts;

It's really very, very stubborn :zombie:.

I increasingly find that if I try to ignore it and just push through, it comes back twice as strong. 

Last weekend a doctor said 'listen to your body, don't ignore it'.

I realised he wasn't talking about the

flatulent bubbling, whining and burbling noises coming from my gut, the creaking and cracking of my joints, or the clicking noises made by my second hand,  mortuary stock reducing sale, badly fitting, glass eye. 

It wasnt the creaking of my home made replacement heart valve, the sound of my thrift store dialysis machine or annoying wheezing and blowing of my portable, ex eastern bloc, army surplus, iron lung.

He was trying to instill in me, imbibe, inculcate even, a higher sense of the importance of just:

Having a really, really good rest before everything just completely packs in.

Got to do it PC. Bit like going on strike.

Just 'shut up shop'.

Time to call in favours from any family and or friends that fall into the 'non-toxic' category.

I was recently surprised to read the statistics of the reality of just how few people survive a heart attack. It's absolutely nothing like the almost constant, successful, almost endless defibrillation we see on TV and in the movies. It's really very worrying, the survival rate is very low.

In the past Mrs. T (Mk. II) didn't really get this concept of 'rest, or crash and burn'; then around 6 years ago she 'crashed' spectacularly after pushing through sickness for way too long; 'for the sake of the kids'.

She kind of forgot that her parents, aunts and uncles were still alive and to them, she's the youngest of seven kids. That she has/had as much right to be ill as any of her (4) kids did. Just as human.

No one wanted to see her crash and end up in hospital (the youngest kids for purely self oriented reasons of course), but she did.

I was in hospital just last week, probably the reason I'm writing this, and they 'ordered' me?

To rest.

Shut up shop PC, put the oxygen mask

on yourself first (as you would in a catastrophic decompression on a flight, before you put one on your kid/s), and have a really intense rest.

To be even more serious for a minute, Mrs. T. Mk I died, 14 years ago today, age 33.

I think that had she not pushed so hard prior to her big illness, she would have had more reserves to fight it. There seems to be a 'core health' needed for that kind of surprise challenge. A kind of a reserve army of health and immunity that we all shouldn't deplete, but kids, work, mortgages, the whole rat race seems set up to force into battle.

Got to take a big rest sometimes, wave the white flag.

Get well soon old (young) chap :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

• Like 6

Must be that Manthrax that Darby has been banging on about on the what did you last buy thread, in which case, you have my sympathy. probably more than you'll get from her indoors if my experiences are anything to go by. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Wise heartfelt and sobering words Tony

PC get well and get wise, there's no substitute for it

There's nothing going to stop Winston sicking up whenever he needs to

Just keep the hell far away when he does. ;)

Gauntlet?

I fear a higher authority than even Mrs PC has thrown one at your feet old bean

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Looks like Winston's off to medical school when he grows up as payback....

Haven't you heard? America's plan for healthcare is to fill hospitals with rapid wolves, because it's ever so much cheaper.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Must be that Manthrax that Darby has been banging on about on the what did you last buy thread, in which case, you have my sympathy. probably more than you'll get from her indoors if my experiences are anything to go by. :)

Steve.

"Since you're home, could you weedeat?"

• Like 5

On 24/05/2017 at 9:39 PM, jean said:

Aloysius/ Aloysisus... now you are talking! This is a great name! We should go back to these fantastic names of old! Bancroft, Rutherford, Sherlock, Tutmosis, etc

One of the WIFs of history is the fact that Florence Nightingale had a sister called Parthenope (I assume pronounced a la Penelope rather than Antelope...).  If she'd been the Crimea nursing genius instead of her sister, just think how many poor girls would have been saddled with Parthenope ever since...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

One of the WIFs of history is the fact that Florence Nightingale had a sister called Parthenope (I assume pronounced a la Penelope rather than Antelope...).  If she'd been the Crimea nursing genius instead of her sister, just think how many poor girls would have been saddled with Parthenope ever since...

I'm partial to classical names for girls, mostly because I had an all-consuming crush on a woman named Psyche in college.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I used to work with (and coincidentally had a bit of a crush on) a lovely woman called Phaedra

I don't think of it as a coincidence at all, Stew. It's just one of those ineluctable facts of the universe.

• Like 4

Around 33 years ago I worked for the British Civil Service. Of course, I signed the Official Secrets Act, but I don't think mentioning a couple of names will matter; I'm giving no information about them.

The first one that springs to mind was a little old lady called 'Fanny Staines'.

:blink:

Then, one that I found difficult to call out for in the waiting room, whilst  still remaining composed:

'Violet Brains'.

The first time I called it, I deliberately tried to make it sound like something else. I knew that the surname 'Death' was, in fact, usually pronounced in the French manner:

'De'ath'. So I shouted:

'Violet Brah Eeeens?'

A little old lady in a blue raincoat and headscarf stood up and shouted:

"It's BRAINS young man!! Like you've got missing from your 'ead!

:(

T

• Like 8