Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

While you're granting wishes, I'd also like British citizenship.

I've noticed how you spell "Aluminium"...

You are already half way there.

(as a side note, I knocked back some apple cider vinegar to test it for you. It tastes better than the white vinegar, but not having a raging sore throat to nuke bacteria on, can't comment on its effectiveness.)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

While you're granting wishes, I'd also like British citizenship.

Just move a ways north. We're the next best thing to British that's close by. Move to Sarnia, Ontario. You could still drive back to Chicago for the weekend.

Chris

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

"Hi honey, I'm British!"

It might be a surprise just how painful an apparently simple statement could turn out to be...

Swings and roundabouts. I'd suggest the north east of Scotland as a great place to live, but how long the British citizenship would last for is not certain either.

I could sell bits of land to people whose jibs I like the cut of and then we could self determine to be independent of everyone else and their nonsense to be left to make models in peace.

• Like 6

On 13/04/2017 at 5:30 AM, Procopius said:

As a side note, you can see the familial resemblance to both the Gladiator and the almost-was Gloster F.5/34: 

15_Gloster_F.5-34_Fighter_Bristol_Mercur

Is it just me, or is there also something Skua-esque about that beastie?

• Like 5

Hello Mr P.

I understand the way you think about, but, as a father of 3, I must say that it is mainly the best thing that I've done.

Each time different, but I've been a better father at 37 than at 26 :rolleyes:

Don't even mind about telling "older" I prefer "experienced"

Very nice job on the Gauntlet, and very nice job on mini P too, I'm faithfull about the protoprocopius Mk II :rofl:

at the birth of my first son in 1991, I told my ex-wife that I will have 2 more kids, She told me "Find another women ! "

And I did just that, not purpotedly but I did just that, So be carefull in telling so..:rofl:

Keep up that fine job and may be , there is a place for a britmodeller member at the 10th of the downing Street :rofl:

I really enjoyed the video too.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

4 hours ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Swings and roundabouts. I'd suggest the north east of Scotland as a great place to live, but how long the British citizenship would last for is not certain either.

I don't intend to outlive the UK in any event, so that may not be an issue.

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Keep up that fine job and may be , there is a place for a britmodeller member at the 10th of the downing Street :rofl:

The last few years have certainly made the argument that any old person can become an MP.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Is it just me, or is there also something Skua-esque about that beastie?

I think the Perseus is about the same size as the Mercury, so that might cause some similarity up front? 

10 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

This is how I imagine a trip to Britain goes.

And never forget even if you get your citizenship,  you'll always be..

One of the great things about being an awkward sort who doesn't particularly belong anywhere is that it's not appreciably more noticeable overseas. Aside from in supermarkets. Americans queue very differently and I got some dirty looks. 

No progress last night (well, I did slap some Perfect Plastic Putty on the tailplanes) because I needed to help move a couch and fold laundry and then watch a bad movie from 1986 (Charlie Sheen vehicle Wraith) while eating Oreos until midnight. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I don't intend to outlive the UK in any event, so that may not be an issue.

Blimey, either you don't value your life or you have more hope that the UK will hang* together than many in these islands do!  But that's politics so no more to say.

Cheers 

Will

* As in "we must all hang together or most assuredly we will all hang separately" which nicely takes discussion back to your side of the pond!

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I think the Perseus is about the same size as the Mercury, so that might cause some similarity up front? 

I suspect it is just the angle of the Gloster photo, because it makes it look (misleadingly) as though the fin is ahead of the horizontal tail surfaces, as in a Skua / Roc.

On the subject of Australian usage, when I was about 19, still a Midshipman and on my first foreign deployment in the Navy (to Oz in HMS Dido, the Ikara Leander), I spent a weekend ashore as guests of a lovely Australian family in Perth.  They had a son about my age, but also a couple of younger daughters.  I recall almost swallowing my tonsils when the baby of the family, a girl of about 5, ran into the room and said "Hey Grandpa, have you got any Durex?"

It was later explained to me that the sticky-tape stuff I was brought up to call "Sellotape" is made by a different company Down Under, so the D-word does not have the same prophylactic connotations as in UK.  

See also countless other words that mean entirely different things in US, Australia etc.  Rubber and Fag, to name but two.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

On the subject of Australian usage, when I was about 19, still a Midshipman and on my first foreign deployment in the Navy (to Oz in HMS Dido, the Ikara Leander), I spent a weekend ashore as guests of a lovely Australian family in Perth.  They had a son about my age, but also a couple of younger daughters.  I recall almost swallowing my tonsils when the baby of the family, a girl of about 5, ran into the room and said "Hey Grandpa, have you got any Durex?"

I always preferred the look of the gun-armed Leanders over the ones with Exocets or Ikara; I realize they were less capable, but you can't beat a gun turret for making a warship look properly martial. Though of course her predecessor in the second world war may have gone a bit overboard.

hms-dido-37-air-defense-light-cruiser.jp

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

No progress last night (well, I did slap some Perfect Plastic Putty on the tailplanes) because I needed to help move a couch and fold laundry and then watch a bad movie from 1986 (Charlie Sheen vehicle Wraith) while eating Oreos until midnight. 

I think you mean the EXCELLENT Charlie Sheen vehicle the Wraith.

"Bad feelings don't lead to resurrections, buddy."

They don't make'em like that no more.

• Like 1

Minimal progress today. The 1mm (outside diameter) brass tubing I ordered arrived today, so I can make the Gauntlet's gunsight when I need to. I also snapped off a tailplane (twice!) and had to reglue it. Started masking for the Dark Green camo. Still working out in my head how to do the rigging.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Minimal progress today. The 1mm (outside diameter) brass tubing I ordered arrived today, so I can make the Gauntlet's gunsight when I need to. I also snapped off a tailplane (twice!) and had to reglue it. Started masking for the Dark Green camo. Still working out in my head how to do the rigging.

Using monofilament lycra, needle tweezers and medium thickness CA applied as a tiny blob with a pin, starting inside and working out. It should be rigid enough not to worry about distortion which can be a more ship-shaped risk.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Still working out in my head how to do the rigging.

Multiple solutions, obviously. 

Before painting, I drill .XX mm holes, depressions really, where I want the flying and landing wires to go. Also do the same for control surface rigging, and antennae (if any).   Size dictated by size of thread I use (slightly larger than thread diameter). 

After paint and assembly, I then do as SH suggests and start in the center and work my way out. I use Uschi elastic thread, largest diameter for flying and landing wires. I put a small drop of medium CA in the depression, then dip the thread in accelerator, then using tweezers of course slowly bring the end of the thread to the depression. The accelerator instantly causes a very solid bond. I then take a few deep breaths, walk about, relax and the turn the model over and repeat for the other end of the thread. Length of thread: just long enough so that it is not slack, but can flex when touched. With practice the threads can move about quite a bit with no issues, yet remain tight enough to look right. When done with flying and landing wires I then lightly touch them with whatever color I want them to be...thinned paint on a #0 round. 

Link to my discussion on Uschi: http://greenshirt-modeler.blogspot.com/2016/12/uschi-flexible-line.html

I've used the same technique with clear nylon, but it's not stretchy and any bump usually dislodges the line. I drag the thread across a brush ahead of the gluing for color...don't want to touch anything you know. 

I also purchasd some nitonol wire, very fine, for the same purpose. I'm told it retains its shape and looks more like a wire because...it's a wire. I've got a Gladiator awaiting that one but it's behind a few Spitfires and Hawk biplanes in the queue. 

Edited by Greenshirt
Added a linky
  • Like 6

I should clarify that this isn't my first rodeo (though it's my first in probably three years), and I've rigged before (I use EZ-line, the Uschi stuff is too fine for me); I use Greenshirt's method, pretty much. The real trick is figuring out the Gauntlet's rigging without a diagram and getting everything in position without a purpose-built jig.

Ones I did earlier: 

34120162166_39816cd179_b.jpgNieuport 17 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And since a Nieuport is the easiest biplane to rig (after a a Fokker D.VII, which as tooled by Roden is so horrible that you have to be an advanced modeller anyway), I also did an S.E. 5a. (Incidentally, if anyone has the Pheon 1/72 SE5a sheet, I'd love to take another crack at Taffy Jones's machine -- maybe we can work something out?

33776456030_ff78483f66_b.jpgS.E. 5a by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 12

On Friday night, my uncle had a heart attack while driving around the block after dropping my aunt off at an art gallery. He crashed into a parked car and went off the road. Nobody found him for some time. He lives in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, a rural vacation town, and had to be airlifted to a hospital -- a more common event in the UK than here -- and has remained intubated ever since. There is, we are assured, almost no chance of him waking up, and even less of him waking up with his mind intact. He's 68, which suddenly doesn't seem very old at all. The last I heard was that it had been recommended that they turn off life support and just let things happen. We weren't particularly close, but that doesn't make it less sad. Last year my aunt died of cancer, so this will be the second of my father's siblings to pass on in as many years. Strange days.

• Like 3

I've not gone through the entire thread Edward, noticed a camo query.  but there is some info on Gauntlets and munich camo in the Ducimus booklet 

Gladiator,%20Gauntlet,%20Fury%20&%20Demo

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/05-Gladiator-Gauntlet

pages 12-16

which may help.

cheers

T

9 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

I'm sorry for the hardships that's fallen on your family. We'll send some prayers out for you and your family if you want them.

I'm not a praying guy myself, but I know for a fact my aunt would appreciate it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I've not gone through the entire thread Edward, noticed a camo query.  but there is some info on Gauntlets and munich camo in the Ducimus booklet 

Gladiator,%20Gauntlet,%20Fury%20&%20Demo

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/05-Gladiator-Gauntlet

pages 12-16

which may help.

cheers

T

Thanks, Troy. I have the C&M collection, but it's in storage right now, so this is a help. I see the tailplanes were silver after all. Oh well.

• Like 1