Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

Nice work on the collecter ring Mr P, that slightly dulled, not too shiny look is bound to be more correct than an uber shiny museum finish.

Now that I've got that out of the way. Your story of the third child discussion rang a very loud bell in my memory. Long story short, if she wants a third child she shall have one, as I found out, all the winning arguements in the world are as nothing before a woman in a reproductive frenzy. In our case, when the being with child bit was announced I churlishly hoped she'd enjoy bringing it up by herself, of course, when our third boy arrived ( he was just another attempt to get a girl) I forgot all that & he has turned out a cracker. I used to wonder how I could stretch the love I had for the other two to do for a third, simple answer was, the love grew to fit & although I freely confess to not having wanted a third child, I can honestly say I never didn't want him, we're very close & guilt has nothing to do with it. I also went to the vet & got fixed before #3 arrived, just to pre-empt any attempt at a rerun in case it wasn't a girl, I must have known something. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Mrs P is also angry because I told her if she wanted three children I wished her and her second husband all the best.

>Cojones, large. See entry under Procopius, E.

(This new forum software is majorly sucky for mobile use. Sorry Mike, but them's the facts.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Is the cat a Tom? 

Having seen it beam-on, as it were, I can confirm that it is a lady cat. Mrs P revealed herself as an incurable naïf when she asked how I could tell. 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

I hope Mrs P's anger subsides and that #2 is progressing well. When it arrives (on the assumption it's not twins, just saying) it might be a good time to discuss how you would accommodate a third child with only to hands for them to hold, only two safe seat positions in the car and other practical issues - it probably won't work but worth a try?

We've been over it many times. We can't afford three, we can't really afford two, one is a burden. I'm a little aggravated these days because Mrs P's interest in me seems to have precipitously declined with the advent of children (and I don't even mean the dirty stuff); since she doesn't work in the summer, she even takes Winston with her to her mother's house in Michigan for weeks on end, 1950s style. Well, I didn't sign on to become one of those bees that fertilize the queen and then amble off out of the hive to conveniently die in the winter (or toil in drudgery so she can continue to benefit from my excellent health insurance, as the case may be) and things seem to rather be getting out of hand. If one child is so tough to watch that she needs to stay with her parents whenever she's alone with him for any length of time, then perhaps she should have quit while she was ahead. She keeps saying she wants a daughter so she can have a friend, but the point of having children isn't to make yourself friends because you're so bad at doing it in the conventional manner; it's to raise functional human beings who might also possibly share some of your interests (maybe because you use subliminal messaging and hypnotism, but you gotta do what you gotta do), and the whole thing is alarming and weird to me. My sisters cordially dislike my mother at the best of times. Winston adores his mother and yells "no dada, mama" and bursts into tears if she goes to the bathroom with the door closed. 

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I rather like your comment regarding the third child to Mrs. PC, although I suspect it went down like a lead balloon. Never mind, one has to take a stand :) :thumbsup2: .

I made a joke later and she laughed and then stopped and said, very primly, "I'm still mad at you." 

6 hours ago, malpaso said:

I know artists' profiles are as much use as evidence as a chocolate teapot, but those in "On Silver Wings" seem to show Gauntlets with the camouflage wrapped under the cowling and forward fuselage as far back as the lower main plane leading edge.  And then the fuselage under side in silver dope, as you seem to be doing, with just the wings (not tailplanes) in the black and white.

Honestly, this is kind of what I believed to be the case all along, in my secret heart, but I just didn't have anything to confirm it (On Silver Wings seems a bit expensive lately). Your information has delighted me in the way that only a piece of news that confirms one's prejudices, no matter how unreliable it is, can. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I also went to the vet & got fixed before #3 arrived, just to pre-empt any attempt at a rerun in case it wasn't a girl, I must have known something. :)

Steve.

That's where my thinking is headed. I'm sure I'll be left to fend for myself during the recuperative period, but I'm ready to chance it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I don't it needs a feathered edge, the silver ring appears to me a riveted on section of different metal to my eye. Jessica's suggestion would probably look best but I'd go wit a carefully done ring of my siverest paint. :)

Steve.

Not a riveted on section. The collector is two sheets of metal  riveted to seal off the hollow center. The front lip is thusly shaped to form the cowl opening to let in engine cooling air. It doesn't get heat stained as it is not in direct contact with the hot exhaust gases.

Collectorx.png

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 3

Nice work on the collector ring PC shame about the lift but very much recoverable.

kids are great and do so many delightful things, mine like your own, are very spirited little souls. It would appear they are half imp and delight in mischief, a little look appears between them when they realise there is something funny to say or do, followed by a look to myself where I just smile... a smile that says, 'go for it, it will make us laugh if nobody else'. Luckily their mother shares this humour... however was brought up correctly so can find it 'unhelpful' as much as she does hilarious.... I blame her mother... for everything 

i dont like cat really but can tolerate them. However in my life I have meet too cats that have earned my respect. One was my best friends can as she was a cunning black cat by the name of rainbow, not a hunter but a true manipulator of humans... you have to respect that...the other was my mate from primary school's. it was just complete weapon, it used to sit for ages by mole hills and swipe their heads off when they popped out... he got so many kill you would think him ginger Lacey reborn.... I like dogs the a simple and affectionate 

anyway nice work on the AC it's progressing well mate

Rob

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

i dont like cat really but can tolerate them. However in my life I have meet too cats that have earned my respect.

The same, quite honestly. I had a cat for many years, named Jellicoe, after the admiral, not  for what is unquestionably one of T S Eliot's worst poems, and he was a reckless devil. Amusing to recall, but pretty tiresome at the time and he'd be hell on my hobby if he were still alive. 

Anyway, a little more progress tonight:

33724593910_f22d4d45f0_b.jpg20170417_214909 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I assume that corrugated bit is metal, so I'll mask off around it and paint it anon. The tailplanes were added tonight, and really could do with a bit of filler on one side, but I just wanted to get as much done right now as I could, and I'll double back later and fix them up.

I masked off the collector ring with Tamiya tape, then cut along the panel line with a hobby knife and sprayed more brown. I'm going with Brother @malpaso's suggestion of an all Dark Earth cowl and upper/lower fuselage up to the wings, because it pleases me and seems easier. 

33724593720_c0319d3211_b.jpg20170417_214923 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also did the upper wing:

33724594080_a249fc7241_b.jpg20170417_214928 by Edward IX, on Flickr

We're getting close to the tough stuff: landing gear, rigging, final assembly. Have to finish the camo and painting, and gloss and apply decals first. 

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

We're getting close to the tough stuff: landing gear, rigging, final assembly. Have to finish the camo and painting, and gloss and apply decals first. 

Hi P,

Be careful with the length of the cabane struts. IIRC they are too short!

Cheers,

AaCee

Just now, AaCee26 said:

Hi P,

Be careful with the length of the cabane struts. IIRC they are too short!

I've heard that from several people, and I'm quite nervous about this, as it's not really in me to fix them. OTOH, @tc2324 (I think) said they were okay on his, so I choose to hope and believe this will be true for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Dark Earth is looking fine, Colourcoats I assume. This is shaping up to be a real gem PC.

Correct! Now watch me stuff it all up when it comes time to put the wing on.

9 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That really is shaping up to be a little beauty...

I really love biplanes qua models, at least until I have to put the top wing on. My best build ever was a 1/72 Eduard Nieuport 17. Splendid little kit.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking forward to the rigging so I can pick up some tips :) 

A bad example can still be learned from, I suppose. I think for this one, we'll have to attach the wing before we can do the rigging, so we'll be pre-drilling holes shortly. 

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Oil Cooler, same as on the Gladiator.

Anyone know of a good photo of it on the Glad?

• Like 4

Looking very nice.  I think the corrugated area on the nose is the oil cooler (or some part thereof).  Not that that helps with the colour.  It looks quite dark on the Silver Gauntlets and Gladiators, so maybe it's representing radiator matrix rather than corrugated?   Anyway it's quite hard to see there under the mainplane in photos of the real thing, so won't be any easier to view at 1/72!

Cheers 

Will

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

I've heard that from several people, and I'm quite nervous about this, as it's not really in me to fix them. OTOH, @tc2324 (I think) said they were okay on his, so I choose to hope and believe this will be true for me. 

Blimey, building this in 1/72 was some time ago but I don`t recall any issues with mine. Just make sure they are facing the right way and take it slow and steady.

Looking good so far.

• Like 1