Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

Some thoughts on colour PC if you haven't settled on a definitive scheme. Many of the silver to camo paint jobs on the Gauntlet in '38 were crudely done in haste as I understand it, so should not look too neat. 79 Sqn were painted black all over as night-fighters.

Interestingly, Gauntlets from 32 Sqn carried out the first successful radar-guided interception by fighter in Nov '36.

Tony

• Like 2

Ooh, nice choice of build PC. That engine cowling looks quite nice indeed!

The instrument panel appears metal to my eye. The missing instrument shows the thickness and there appears to be pop rivets along the bottom edge too, hinting at metal. I could be wrong though, it happened once before!

Mothers in law... satans spawn if ever there was one. Beats me why islamic nutjobs want to kill themselves to get 70 virgins. They overlook the 70 mothers in law that they will get. Madness indeed!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

79 Sqn were painted black all over as night-fighters.

Aah!  Now that's a nice whiff for the Matchbox Gladiator I have part started somewhere...

Watching this thread with interest as I have this kit somewhere, picked up for a reasonable price in the kitswap at Telford last year.  Although I have a feeling I may have bought it just for the decals...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello CC,

It's a little unusual, but 112 are listed as having Gladiators from 1939-1941, six Gaunlet II  just March-June/early July 1940.

A profile is on RAFweb here:

http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn Markings/SqnMark112.htm

Of these, two found their way into RAAF 3 Squadron service under U.K. control (and two others, one from 46 squadron, one not given by adf serials).

The two 112 Squadron aircraft (out of six in 112) subsequently serving in 3 Squadron RAAF are given as:

K5318

K7843.

A photo of K7843 is at this link:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/gauntlet.htm

A 1/48 Gauntlet would be great :)

All best regards 

TonyT

Edit: PS, I found another boxing of the AZ kit with a 112 Squadron marking option included:

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2016/04/12/novinky-az-model-duben-2016-ii/

So, Thank Tony, now I must find or wait for a 1/48 Gauntlet.

Hey Mr and Mrs Airfix, did you hear about this ....

About the color, I don't know, but I'll bet for natural metal.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice one Mr P, can't beat an inter-war / early WWII British biplane. Must admit though when I first saw the title of your thread I thought of the late Jim (Sunny Jim) Callahan, although to be fair he never actually made that statement - a certain tabloid newspaper used it as a headline and it's sine become a meme. Anyway here is Sunny Jim himself in a more lighter and musical mood:

Jim Callaghan was reputed to have played for my rugby club in the past. Considerably before he became PM I hasten to add. Tenuous link I know but these PC builds have a tendency amongst the cracking aircraft build to wander from the sublime to the ridiculous, as well as mine the depths of mystery and imagination. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Wow, another Procopian build, and I've managed to get on the thread without having to sift through twenty pages of ghastly '90s tv shows first. Nice.

I got here on Page 2, I consider that a result!

Ghastly 90's TV shows? I hope you're not referring to Hill Street Blues which was of the 80's and far from ghastly although what the heavenly Joyce Davenport ever saw in Frank (Pizza Man) Furillo I never knew.

Good luck with the resin stuff. I will watch with interest as I rather foolishly picked up a couple of bi-planes during the Home Bargains madness of 2016. Me, rigging, what could possibly go wrong???  

• Like 1

If no-one more knowledgable is going to stick their neck out, I would go with the interior green to shoulder level and grey downwards from there, as per the Finnish example - I don't have any real basis in fact apart from what appears to be the only surviving example of a Gauntlet, but that could be considered adequate proof, or at least it might flush out anyone who has more definitive information :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 825 said:

Jim Callaghan was reputed to have played for my rugby club in the past. Considerably before he became PM I hasten to add. Tenuous link I know but these PC builds have a tendency amongst the cracking aircraft build to wander from the sublime to the ridiculous, as well as mine the depths of mystery and imagination. 

I'm fascinated by Sunny Jim, as well as Iain Macleod; I often wonder what might have happened had the latter lived. 

Regrettably I'm too tired to do a good job on the Gauntlet. Hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

If no-one more knowledgable is going to stick their neck out, I would go with the interior green to shoulder level and grey downwards from there, as per the Finnish example - I don't have any real basis in fact apart from what appears to be the only surviving example of a Gauntlet, but that could be considered adequate proof, or at least it might flush out anyone who has more definitive information :)

I think we both know they usually show up with information about the cockpit interior right about when you've finished attaching and rigging the upper wing.

• Like 8

I've always wanted to build a gladiator, now you come swanning in with this bloody Gauntlet. Looks I'll just have to add another bird to the list ;).   A rather splendid aeroplane you have there and a mystery chaser too, Colour me intrigued.

nice start by the way and unfortunatly no help with the colour. 

Sorry.

johnny.

• Like 2

On 04/04/2017 at 7:52 AM, corsaircorp said:

So, Thank Tony, now I must find or wait for a 1/48 Gauntlet.

Good old Aeroclub made one CC. It might be worth asking John Aero here on BM if he has any left. They appear on Evilbay from time to time, often commanding quite dizzying prices:

http://m.ebay.com.sg/itm/AEROCLUB-1-48-GLOSTER-GAUNTLET-/391743212100?nav=SEARCH

According to Scalemates there's an old kit by 'Life Like' in 1/48, but I can't find further references to it.

A very good potential subject for Airfix indeed  :).

We need more mainstream manufacturer biplanes in most scales. This interwar to WWII period has some lovely subjects. I hope even e.g. AZ does some other subjects.

I was pondering the cockpit and i/ p. Given that the Gauntlet is so close to the Gladiator in the Gloster lineage; is the cockpit at all similar?

I found pictures of the cockpit of a Gladiator in Sweden; the i /p is similarly showing rivets  and the deep brown colour.

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/picture_gladiator_38.htm

Perhaps Gauntlet cockpits could be reasonably assumed to be very similar in colour to those of Gladiators?

Perhaps a little tenuous, but possible?

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I was pondering the cockpit and i/ p. Given that the Gauntlet is so close to the Gladiator in the Gloster lineage; is the cockpit at all similar?

I found pictures of the cockpit of a Gladiator in Sweden; the i /p is similarly showing rivets  and the deep brown colour.

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/picture_gladiator_38.htm

Perhaps Gauntlet cockpits could be reasonably assumed to be very similar in colour to those of Gladiators?

It looks quite similar to the Finnish Gauntlet photos I've seen (so maybe the Swedes and the Finns have colluded, damned crafty Nordics. Good enough for me, though.

I put down the interior green tonight, will have to mask and add some light grey later.

Been kinda drained this week. I've asked for a raise, let's see if I get it (likely not). On Tuesday, I took Winston to his first day of school:

33502349590_25a578eacd_b.jpg2017-04-07_12-05-59 by Edward IX, on Flickr

He seems to like it:

33730420342_cae46f438f_b.jpgimage by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 11

I wonder if that instrument panel is the same phenolic resin material that Spitfire seats were later made from?

Winston looks very focused on his painting, I imagine you wear a similar expression at your workbench. Good luck with the pay-rise.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

I wonder if that instrument panel is the same phenolic resin material that Spitfire seats were later made from?

Winston looks very focused on his painting, I imagine you wear a similar expression at your workbench. Good luck with the pay-rise.

Cheers,

Stew

Like Mr Dapple, my first thought was 'Bakelite' not wood.

All the best

Don

• Like 2

Hello Mr P.

Ay Caramba, enjoy Procopius jr, as they get to school toddlers grew faster....

It seem to me that time get a booster since kids are at school.

Take care and good luck for your raise !:yes:

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Knowing close to nothing about the Gauntlet, I shall keep very quiet and let the Illuminati speak... and I shall gobble their pearls of wisdom...

As for Winston, what was in the bag he was clutching? Some knuckledusters and some hash to sell at half time? Or have times changed so much that he was only carrying a sandwich? Tell me life has not become that boring?....

Good luck with the interior paint. Remind me to send you the photos of the interior when the rigging is done?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

33502349590_25a578eacd_b.jpg

A wonderful picture PC, but I can't help thinking this actually shows you saying: 'I must go Winston - I can see citizens in danger over there!', before running to the nearest phonebooth and tearing your shirt to reveal yourself as Superman...

Tony

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A wonderful picture PC, but I can't help thinking this actually shows you saying: 'I must go Winston - I can see citizens in danger over there!', before running to the nearest phonebooth and tearing your shirt to reveal yourself as Superman...

Superman? Please. 

marvel-captain-britain.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Oh? I thought it was because you're a Supertramp fan.

https://lastfm-img2.akamaized.net/i/u/ar0/42d32d57b3654130c1c281a0fc9f3e32

In fact, I don't think I've heard anything they've done aside from "Breakfast in America", which I used to sing at Mrs P when we were dating, and which she did not like

2 hours ago, jean said:

As for Winston, what was in the bag he was clutching? Some knuckledusters and some hash to sell at half time? Or have times changed so much that he was only carrying a sandwich? Tell me life has not become that boring?....

This is America, so he had a belt-fed Maxim gun and a ten-gallon hat in there, such as are issued to every schoolboy. (Just a spare diaper.)

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Holy crap, Stew! I bet you're exactly right! GENIUS.

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

A very intriguing build Superm...I mean Clark..um, PC.

If anything, I'm the Jimmy Olsen to your Clark Kent, Cookie!

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Winston looks very focused on his painting, I imagine you wear a similar expression at your workbench.

Possibly, but his face is an almost exact duplicate of the expression his mother has when she's undertaking a complex task. Curiously, he seems to have my personality (my childhood one, anyway, I was very exuberant and outgoing; nobody knows quite what happened).

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

This is America, so he had a belt-fed Maxim gun [...]

Surely an American schoolchild have something designed by John Browning rather than Maxim?

(I am aware of Maxim's origin.)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Beard said:

Surely an American schoolchild have something designed by John Browning rather than Maxim?

(I am aware of Maxim's origin.)

Whatever happens, Winston's got

a Maxim gun

And other pupils

have not.

• Like 9

On 04/04/2017 at 1:16 AM, Harley John said:

I got here on Page 2, I consider that a result!

Ghastly 90's TV shows? I hope you're not referring to Hill Street Blues which was of the 80's and far from ghastly although what the heavenly Joyce Davenport ever saw in Frank (Pizza Man) Furillo I never knew.

Good luck with the resin stuff. I will watch with interest as I rather foolishly picked up a couple of bi-planes during the Home Bargains madness of 2016. Me, rigging, what could possibly go wrong???  

I second that. he seemed to be too wimpy for her. I confess to briefly thinking she might be a replacement for Felicity Kendall in those moments .....

Eeeerrmmph. Back to reality. yes, Hill street Blues was a fine show. I live in hope of seeing the episode where the squad joker sent a toy crocodile down the sewer to wind up some colleagues searching it .....

And if on the subject of sublime '80's tv, may I throw in St Elswehere? The only tv hospital soap I know that featured ZZ Top.in an episode!

• Like 2