Crisis, What Crisis? (1/72 AZ Gloster Gauntlet)

"My objective is peace in Europe, I trust this trip is the way to that peace."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 22 September 1938

"How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 27 September 1938

England expected every man that day
To show his motives were ambivalent.

They played the fool, not to appear as fools
In time's long glass. A deprecating air
Disarmed, they thought, the jeers of later schools;
Yet irony itself is doctrinaire

-- Donald Davie, "Remembering the Thirties"

"My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 30 September 1938

"[W]e have sustained a defeat without a war, the consequences of which will travel far with us along our road; they should know that we have passed an awful milestone in our history, when the whole equilibrium of Europe has been deranged, and that the terrible words have for the time being been pronounced against the Western democracies: 'Thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting.' And do not suppose that this is the end. This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

-- Winston Churchill, Hansard, "Policy of His Majesty's Government", 5 October, 1938

33804105835_b307bfe6a1_b.jpg20170402_141451 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've struggled all week to think of what I wanted to build next. I have something coming in the next few weeks which will be a drop-everything build, so I didn't want to get too involved in a big kit (Wellington, Halifax II, Whitley ruled out, then), or do anything too complicated (CR.42, Tempest II, Blenheim, PZL P.11c with PART photoetch). Additionally I've been under so much stress at work that I'd just go down to the grotto and find myself paralysed with indecision, too mentally exhausted to even just pick a kit. I must have pulled seven or eight out of the stacks and looked over the sprues before putting them back. Finally, with less than two hours before I had to go to the airport and collect Mrs. P and Winston and (sigh) my mother-in-law, I settled on an AZ Gloster Gauntlet. It's a small kit, has a low parts count, comes with PE for the seatbelt (the windscreen is a PE frame with acetate sheets for the panes, which is a little worrisome), and is the rare RAF biplane to not use the shadow scheme of Light Earth and Light Green on the lower wings, which is good, because I forgot to buy a pot of Colourcoats Light Green. 

Anyway, as we all know, the Gauntlet was Gloster's predecessor to the Gladiator, and the fastest RAF fighter until the late 1930s, faster even than the Hawker Fury, which certainly looked faster. For the RAF, it was the last gasp of the open-cockpit biplane fighter with two machineguns; every fighter that came after it had an enclosed cockpit and four or more machineguns. Some have said that this marked the end of the romantic era of aerial warfare (if a contest between two men, intended to lead to the death of one, can be romantic, but Twilight sold a million copies, so why not?), particularly at the time, but then they couldn't see forward a few years to see a few handfuls of Hurricanes and Spitfires trace contrails in the blue expanse over the cliffs of Dover as they curved into the attack. 

So the romance might not have died with the Gauntlet. But the Gauntlet did see the end of the interwar RAF, the "best flying club in the world", and the birthing pangs of the fighting service that would save the world in 1940. In 1938, the Munich Crisis broke out. As Chamberlain and Daladier scrambled to sell out the Czechs, who had put their faith in allies who now rushed to abandon them, the Royal Air Force's sliver biplanes were being readied for the war that appeasement would only delay. The colourful squadron markings were painted out; the silver wings were painted Dark Green and Dark Earth. Had war come, the RAF's Gauntlets would have been more than a match for the Luftwaffe's He 51, slower by nearly 30 MPH (the He 51 was even more inferior to the Czech Avia B-534: 50 MPH slower), but would have been woefully outclassed by the new Bf 109B/C/Ds in service; the Germans had five hundred of them, though none of these early models could exceed 300 MPH in level flight.

So let's get going.

The kit has a resin cowling, which I separated from its casting block:

33763546406_568abf67f9_b.jpg20170402_142926 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33804096695_d9eebc30e4_b.jpg20170402_142932 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Cute. 

It also has a little resin Bristol Mercury radial engine, which fits in the cowling quiiiiite snugly and likely won't once paint is added:

33674750351_2376511e74_b.jpg20170402_142941 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I then sprayed the photoetch instrument panel with some aerosol Mr Surfacer 1000 rather than fire up the ol' compressor:

I'm labouring under the impression that the Gauntlet had a wooden (or wood-coloured) instrument panel, as seen on this preserved Finnish example:

Gloster_Gauntlet_OH-XGT_Cockpit_from_rig

Some of those instruments look suspiciously modern.

Of course I just glanced at it earlier and thought it had a wood grain, so I painted the panel Light Earth with intent to go over it with Clear Orange later and then some oil paints for a sexy wood grain effect that's now going to fall by the wayside. Bother.

32963596634_7194d7e863_b.jpg2017-04-02_10-09-06 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The interior of the aircraft seems to be a rather lurid green up top and then grey below -- does anyone know what RAF examples might have been painted with?

I also put together the cockpit floor, less the seat. There's, uh, not a lot to it:

32991142093_40a3efc7fb_b.jpg20170402_152854 by Edward IX, on Flickr

You may notice it's slightly more substantial than the actual floor of a Gauntlet. 

Also, some googling uncovered this thread (started by yr. humble corresp. way back in 2014, when the world still made some measure of sense), which seems to indicate Gauntlets may have actually had the shadow scheme of Light Green/Light Earth on the lower wings. Looks like I need to order more Colourcoats. On the other hand, I'm inclined to doubt that everyone went to a lot of trouble to do the shadow scheme on the lower wings -- certainly the colour photos of Gladiators linked to don't seem to show it. However, if anyone has any information on Gauntlet camouflage (or access to the old Colours and Markings book, mine is in a storage locker still), please let me know.

Lastly, I know the UK is having an interesting time right now, in the Chinese curse sense of the word, and I thought I'd just say to you what my parents never said to me after I ran away from home: I'm worried about you, and I love you, and I hope you're doing what's best for yourselves. Please don't destroy yourselves in the process. 

Anyway, that's a bit heavy, so here's a truly ridiculous picture of Winston:

33647943072_10988b7dec_b.jpgIMG_0087 by Edward IX, on Flickr

My friend Jessica suggested "ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF PLAYTIME" as an appropriate caption.

• Like 33

Nice one Edward, not so nice Winston. Toddlers, Yeeech. :)

I'll be eaves dropping on this, I've got the other two boxings, looks nice so far. As for the the Crisis. it may not have been peace in our time but peace for another year made a world of difference.

Steve.

• Like 2

Ah good I'll get settled in :) 

As noted in the other thread you linked to, the Ducimus Camouflage and Markings book indicates Dark Earth/Dark Green camouflage but that might be considered outdated information now. My understanding is that the Munich Crisis camouflage was applied in a hurry so two colours might have been considered acceptable under the circumstances. Difficult to say for sure, googling doesn't bring up much in the way of photos...

I think if Christopher Walken ever got really, really angry, his face would have the same expression that Winston's does iin your photograph.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I think if Christopher Walken ever got really, really angry, his face would have the same expression that Winston's does iin your photograph.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

badass-horseman4.jpg

• Like 15

I'm sad to hear of your WRS, PC, having experienced it myself I can understand, to some extent, how you feel and I hope it gets better soon. 

On a purely selfish note though, I'm glad you've chosen a Gauntlet because I have one in the stash and want to see some-one make one before I make a hash of mine.

• Like 3

Great introduction PC, as always. 

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I have something coming in the next few weeks which will be a drop-everything build

Oooh, tension, I like a bit of tension... exciting!

The Gauntlet looks interesting. Good start on the resin. I would stick with the wooden i/p as a ) you've already started and b ) it'll look cool. The one in the picture is obviously to modern regulations (unless someone was foretelling aircraft design on the compass). Likewise the colours? Bare metal inside with some primer on the top bit maybe?

Winnie's 'angry gnome' look is 'pretty unique' in that picture and I'm sure you'll have endless fun in the future bringing it out to show his friends. Revenge is a dish... there's even a video to go with it.

Jessica's caption is great. My 'I am not READY to go Gnome!' is a poor submission. 

53 minutes ago, Beard said:

I'm sad to hear of your WRS, PC

What's WRS please Simon? 

• Like 2

Hello PC,

Good start on it. Will look closely.

Nice shot from Winston, and yes, you will may be hear about that photo in some years !!

I experienced it with my daughter:huh:...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

It's an acronym, of my own invention, for Work Related Stress.

Waf !

Work also for Wife (women) Related Stress:penguin:

No ! I'm not ashamed about this one:rofl:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

It's a nice little kit, and a step up from their Hawker Hart fighter (I have a silver wings boxing). The engine looks brilliant. Looking forward to this one.

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

I know the UK is having an interesting time right now

Yep, we all wish we were living in the USA, where things are a lot less controversial at the moment :whistle:

As for Winston, well you married a redhead and reproduced. Been there, done that, and still doing it (hopefully no more reproduction!). The Christopher Walken similarity is quite uncanny...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

This is a nice choice PC. One of my favourite late British biplanes. I believe they made it through to service in  the rather splendid 112 Squadron.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

I have a distant memory involving beginning one, but experiencing a little problem with wing strut height. I could be wrong, I also may have been entirely at fault and done something very wrong. The latter is a well perfected lifetime habit.

A good start, the resin Bristol engine looks very good.

Your son looks to have a great deal of spirit ;)!

Good luck and have good fun with this nice subject from AZ.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Great start PC as we now expect :) and very nice choice. Looking forward to what ever the larger project is as well.

thats a fantastic pic of winston, very well captured! Spirited little fellow. Also that caption is a great one made me laugh hard. I have a pic some where of my little boy going nuts in a high chair after I told him paint time was over and it's was time for a bath, angry child + covered in green paint = you don't want to make me mad.

Rob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Yep, we all wish we were living in the USA, where things are a lot less controversial at the moment :whistle:

Yes, it's no picnic here (though at least the dollar hasn't taken a flying leap off a cliff -- yet, anyway), but if I can only pick one country to come out of the next ten years or so more or less unscathed, my preference is the UK.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I have a distant memory involving beginning one, but experiencing a little problem with wing strut height. I could be wrong, I also may have been entirely at fault and done something very wrong. The latter is a well perfected lifetime habit.

I've heard this from others, and have also had people tell me there's nothing wrong with the struts. This is one of the banes of a would-be biplane builder's existence: so many of the kits are limited run, and they often have exciting and unique problems that are hard to fix. I can't lengthen struts or shorten landing gear, and I won't be bothered with it, I simply won't. So here's to hoping fortune favours me on this one.

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's a nice little kit, and a step up from their Hawker Hart fighter (I have a silver wings boxing). The engine looks brilliant. Looking forward to this one.

I've somehow ended up with the whole AZ Hawker biplane family, plus the Avis/Amodel Fury/Osprey/Hector/Audax kits. Been a bit nervous to do one, though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I have a pic some where of my little boy going nuts in a high chair after I told him paint time was over and it's was time for a bath, angry child + covered in green paint = you don't want to make me mad.

Seems unfair to tell rather than show.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

"My objective is peace in Europe, I trust this trip is the way to that peace."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 22 September 1938

"How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 27 September 1938

England expected every man that day
To show his motives were ambivalent.

They played the fool, not to appear as fools
In time's long glass. A deprecating air
Disarmed, they thought, the jeers of later schools;
Yet irony itself is doctrinaire

-- Donald Davie, "Remembering the Thirties"

"My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time."

-- Neville Chamberlain, 30 September 1938

"[W]e have sustained a defeat without a war, the consequences of which will travel far with us along our road; they should know that we have passed an awful milestone in our history, when the whole equilibrium of Europe has been deranged, and that the terrible words have for the time being been pronounced against the Western democracies: 'Thou art weighed in the balance and found wanting.' And do not suppose that this is the end. This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

-- Winston Churchill, Hansard, "Policy of His Majesty's Government", 5 October, 1938

33804105835_b307bfe6a1_b.jpg20170402_141451 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've struggled all week to think of what I wanted to build next. I have something coming in the next few weeks which will be a drop-everything build, so I didn't want to get too involved in a big kit (Wellington, Halifax II, Whitley ruled out, then), or do anything too complicated (CR.42, Tempest II, Blenheim, PZL P.11c with PART photoetch). Additionally I've been under so much stress at work that I'd just go down to the grotto and find myself paralysed with indecision, too mentally exhausted to even just pick a kit. I must have pulled seven or eight out of the stacks and looked over the sprues before putting them back. Finally, with less than two hours before I had to go to the airport and collect Mrs. P and Winston and (sigh) my mother-in-law, I settled on an AZ Gloster Gauntlet. It's a small kit, has a low parts count, comes with PE for the seatbelt (the windscreen is a PE frame with acetate sheets for the panes, which is a little worrisome), and is the rare RAF biplane to not use the shadow scheme of Light Earth and Light Green on the lower wings, which is good, because I forgot to buy a pot of Colourcoats Light Green. 

Anyway, as we all know, the Gauntlet was Gloster's predecessor to the Gladiator, and the fastest RAF fighter until the late 1930s, faster even than the Hawker Fury, which certainly looked faster. For the RAF, it was the last gasp of the open-cockpit biplane fighter with two machineguns; every fighter that came after it had an enclosed cockpit and four or more machineguns. Some have said that this marked the end of the romantic era of aerial warfare (if a contest between two men, intended to lead to the death of one, can be romantic, but Twilight sold a million copies, so why not?), particularly at the time, but then they couldn't see forward a few years to see a few handfuls of Hurricanes and Spitfires trace contrails in the blue expanse over the cliffs of Dover as they curved into the attack. 

So the romance might not have died with the Gauntlet. But the Gauntlet did see the end of the interwar RAF, the "best flying club in the world", and the birthing pangs of the fighting service that would save the world in 1940. In 1938, the Munich Crisis broke out. As Chamberlain and Daladier scrambled to sell out the Czechs, who had put their faith in allies who now rushed to abandon them, the Royal Air Force's sliver biplanes were being readied for the war that appeasement would only delay. The colourful squadron markings were painted out; the silver wings were painted Dark Green and Dark Earth. Had war come, the RAF's Gauntlets would have been more than a match for the Luftwaffe's He 51, slower by nearly 30 MPH (the He 51 was even more inferior to the Czech Avia B-534: 50 MPH slower), but would have been woefully outclassed by the new Bf 109B/C/Ds in service; the Germans had five hundred of them, though none of these early models could exceed 300 MPH in level flight.

So let's get going.

The kit has a resin cowling, which I separated from its casting block:

33763546406_568abf67f9_b.jpg20170402_142926 by Edward IX, on Flickr

33804096695_d9eebc30e4_b.jpg20170402_142932 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Cute. 

It also has a little resin Bristol Mercury radial engine, which fits in the cowling quiiiiite snugly and likely won't once paint is added:

I then sprayed the photoetch instrument panel with some aerosol Mr Surfacer 1000 rather than fire up the ol' compressor:

I'm labouring under the impression that the Gauntlet had a wooden (or wood-coloured) instrument panel, as seen on this preserved Finnish example:

Gloster_Gauntlet_OH-XGT_Cockpit_from_rig

Some of those instruments look suspiciously modern.

Of course I just glanced at it earlier and thought it had a wood grain, so I painted the panel Light Earth with intent to go over it with Clear Orange later and then some oil paints for a sexy wood grain effect that's now going to fall by the wayside. Bother.

32963596634_7194d7e863_b.jpg2017-04-02_10-09-06 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The interior of the aircraft seems to be a rather lurid green up top and then grey below -- does anyone know what RAF examples might have been painted with?

I also put together the cockpit floor, less the seat. There's, uh, not a lot to it:

32991142093_40a3efc7fb_b.jpg20170402_152854 by Edward IX, on Flickr

You may notice it's slightly more substantial than the actual floor of a Gauntlet. 

Also, some googling uncovered this thread (started by yr. humble corresp. way back in 2014, when the world still made some measure of sense), which seems to indicate Gauntlets may have actually had the shadow scheme of Light Green/Light Earth on the lower wings. Looks like I need to order more Colourcoats. On the other hand, I'm inclined to doubt that everyone went to a lot of trouble to do the shadow scheme on the lower wings -- certainly the colour photos of Gladiators linked to don't seem to show it. However, if anyone has any information on Gauntlet camouflage (or access to the old Colours and Markings book, mine is in a storage locker still), please let me know.

Lastly, I know the UK is having an interesting time right now, in the Chinese curse sense of the word, and I thought I'd just say to you what my parents never said to me after I ran away from home: I'm worried about you, and I love you, and I hope you're doing what's best for yourselves. Please don't destroy yourselves in the process. 

Anyway, that's a bit heavy, so here's a truly ridiculous picture of Winston:

My friend Jessica suggested "ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF PLAYTIME" as an appropriate caption.

Hi Mr. P,

May I send this photo to a sculptress friend of mine, as she could use it for a garden gnome sculpture that may go viral in certain circles!

Rather than a wheelbarrow, a sharp kitchen knife or large  cleaver would add some character to an already impressive model.

Better you than I...

JR

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This is a nice choice PC. One of my favourite late British biplanes. I believe they made it through to service in  the rather splendid 112 Squadron.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

A good start, the resin Bristol engine looks very good.

Your son looks to have a great deal of spirit ;)!

Good luck and have good fun with this nice subject from AZ.

Best regards

TonyT

Hello Tony,

the famous 112, I don't think so, as far as I get in my researches.

The first Aircraft used is a Gloster Gladiator, I found a photo of RT-Z, and it's the future of my Lindberoden Glad...iator.

May be I did'nt get as far enough... In this case, must find a 1/48 Gauntlet:huh:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello Dears and JR,

Do you mean Something of that kind ???

WP_20170403_13_34_05_Pro

or this ??

WP_20170403_13_35_21_Pro

Here, my daughter has learned that her great father has actually flown and jump from this C-119, so she did want to get out until time due...

WP_20170403_13_35_31_Pro

Today, she is sixteen, she look at walking dead in eating ham.

On the first pic, she wanted to come with me at the shooting range and use my AK.

I told her that she can even not carry it, she proove me wrong:lol: She look like some tumpanaros or South american rebel...

Well wishers be relax, the clip is empty, or there was munitions in the AK, don't you worry.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 10

Wow, another Procopian build, and I've managed to get on the thread without having to sift through twenty pages of ghastly '90s tv shows first. Nice.

I checked out that thread where you asked about the shadow shading, I had forgotten that I also asked Edgar a question in that thread too... Wow, 2014- for us millennials it seems a very long time ago!

Good luck with the build.

regards,

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Tony,

the famous 112, I don't think so, as far as I get in my researches.

The first Aircraft used is a Gloster Gladiator, I found a photo of RT-Z, and it's the future of my Lindberoden Glad...iator.

May be I did'nt get as far enough... In this case, must find a 1/48 Gauntlet:huh:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hello CC,

It's a little unusual, but 112 are listed as having Gladiators from 1939-1941, six Gaunlet II  just March-June/early July 1940.

A profile is on RAFweb here:

http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn Markings/SqnMark112.htm

Of these, two found their way into RAAF 3 Squadron service under U.K. control (and two others, one from 46 squadron, one not given by adf serials).

The two 112 Squadron aircraft (out of six in 112) subsequently serving in 3 Squadron RAAF are given as:

K5318

K7843.

A photo of K7843 is at this link:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/gauntlet.htm

A 1/48 Gauntlet would be great :)

All best regards 

TonyT

Edit: PS, I found another boxing of the AZ kit with a 112 Squadron marking option included:

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2016/04/12/novinky-az-model-duben-2016-ii/

Nice one Mr P, can't beat an inter-war / early WWII British biplane. Must admit though when I first saw the title of your thread I thought of the late Jim (Sunny Jim) Callahan, although to be fair he never actually made that statement - a certain tabloid newspaper used it as a headline and it's sine become a meme. Anyway here is Sunny Jim himself in a more lighter and musical mood:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Seems unfair to tell rather than show.

That's true, however I don't appear to have the picture on my phone and their mum has banned their faces from social media... like Micheal Jackson did with his when they were little...

Rob

6 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Must admit though when I first saw the title of your thread I thought of the late Jim (Sunny Jim) Callahan

Well, that was intentional!

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

That's true, however I don't appear to have the picture on my phone and their mum has banned their faces from social media... like Micheal Jackson did with his when they were little...

This isn't social, we're all anoraks here. 

In any case, I hope to paint the interior tonight, so if anyone has any gen on the interior colours...I'd be super grateful.

• Like 3