Col. Olds Scat II, MPM (Academy) P-38J Lightning 1/72

13 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks Johnny. I need to fathom how I'm going to show the discolouration of the paint from the heat immediately aft. It's probably going to be a very thinned down mix of a much lighter olive drab but it could all go wrong if I make a mistake meaning a lot of repairing and corrections. Any advice from BM's? Pastels? White/brown oil washes?

Cheers Christer. It's a fine line between just enough or too much. Hopefully I've cracked it on this one 😬

I'm guessing you can airbrush a light pass of thinned acrylic but as you said you have to get it right. Maybe Tamiya weathering pigments? They're kind of dusty and can be removed with water if wrong.

johnny

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm guessing you can airbrush a light pass of thinned acrylic but as you said you have to get it right. Maybe Tamiya weathering pigments? They're kind of dusty and can be removed with water if wrong.

johnny

Think it's going to have to be a little practice on an old hunk of plastic then go for it with the thinned mix 😬

• Like 1

Just now, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Think it's going to have to be a little practice on an old hunk of plastic then go for it with the thinned mix 😬

Yes I think that's what I'll do to. No such luck with plastic tonight. Hopefully tomorrow. ;)

• Like 1

Ok BM's, it's the weekend and an extended one at that so what to do to fill in some of the spare time? You guessed it... PLASTIC.

Today where time allows I shall be weathering the paint behind the turbochargers. These are about the best reference pictures I can get so will be trying to replicate the heat discolouring on the camo:

f38238b2ff7f1da4d4e99094b92a7e4c.jpg 
p-38-lightning-flying-over-chino-califor
151-b-1280.jpg
15443439654_535e155479_b.jpg

I'll try this with a very thin mix of paint and multiple coats as I don't want to overdo it or cock it up! Wish me luck...

• Like 3

Well that sort of went 'OK' but I did have to do several coats to get the color I wanted. I tested on one of my first Spitfires to ensure I had the consistency of the paint I wanted and then settled nervously onto SCAT II:

IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4729.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg

Some test shots with the TC's in. Decided it needed more brown...
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg
IMG_4735.jpg
IMG_4736.jpg

Quite pleased with the result, just need to darken the area where the turbochargers sit and then seal with a gloss coat ready for the oil wash mix :D

JB

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 6

Not that clever, but Squadron Signal Walk Around Number 30, on pg 38, states that the door is closed in flight and open on the ground.

I've enjoyed following this build.  Nice work.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Great, thanks both. Glad people are enjoying my ramblings! 

Minor update for today, mainly because once the oil wash is on, I like to leave it to dry for a good 24 hours before I clean most of it off. That way evaporation leaves most of the wash in the panel lines where I want it to be. My oil wash is made from W&N oil paint and turpentine substitute mixed until it's the 'right' consistency. Colour of choice today... black. Nice and exciting huh?!

Fitted the turbochargers just prior to washing:

IMG_4743.jpg

Now the wash:

IMG_4744.jpg

More updates tomorrow!

JB

• Like 5

Another Bank Holiday?! Modelling? Don't mind if I do...

Straight on from the last post. Got to work removing the oil wash which has settled into the very fine panel lines:

IMG_4751.jpg

WIP shot for @rob Lyttle

Microsol and set have done their job with the decal - the wash has settled into the star and bar nicely.

IMG_4752.jpg

All of the excess oil wash removed.

IMG_4753.jpg

Now using some brown oil paint and then gently swiping over with a cotton bud produced a rust and oil effect where needed. I concentrated this around hinges and fuel/oil filter caps.

IMG_4757.jpg

Ready for the matt coat. Note the drop tanks are on!

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

Looking nice and flat now as she should.

And couldn't resist removing the canopy masks... 

IMG_4772.jpg

IMG_4773.jpg

Successful day for SCAT II!

JB

• Like 7

Very nice looking Lightning JB !

One you can be proud of ! congratulations !

Is there any reason for using a substitute for turpentine ?

Thank for sharing.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Very nice looking Lightning JB !

One you can be proud of ! congratulations !

Is there any reason for using a substitute for turpentine ?

Thank for sharing.

Corsaircorp

Thank you CC. She's certainly getting there now. No real reason for the substitute, just that I had a bottle of it in the shed and it seemed to work well with the oil and not damage the clear coat. What do you use?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Cheers Rob, lucky I've had the time to spend on it. My wife is expecting so I'm getting my modelling time in now!!

That is a very good plan! Trust me!

Rob

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thank you CC. She's certainly getting there now. No real reason for the substitute, just that I had a bottle of it in the shed and it seemed to work well with the oil and not damage the clear coat. What do you use?

Hello,

Well I use turpentine and I was wondering if Something else can even be better.

I must confess that I like the smell of turpentine:undecided:,

Nice job and thank you.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

That is a very good plan! Trust me!

Rob

So I've been told by me pals who are already there! Apparently your life is no longer your own or something like that?! :yikes:

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Holy moley she looks amazing!:clap2: bravo sir, just right if I do say so myself. 

No pressure for me now then.:blink:

Johnny

Why thank you Johnny. Looking forward to your next updates :) 

19 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Wow!🌟🌟🌟

Thanks Rob. I had to take that picture just for you ^_^ 

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

What a fantastic lightning. Superb!

Can i ask you how you did the paint chipping? it looks spot on.

Dansk - thank you. Chipping was no more complex that getting a 02 brush, wiping of a little of the paint off on kitchen towel to prevent any build up and avoid raised brush marks then tentatively applying, copying some reference shots. I regularly cleaned the brush as well. Paint - Citadel runefang steel.

17 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's a wonderful looking Lightning JB.

She's getting there - was great removing the masking from the canopy and seeing the cockpit detail again. Thanks for your kind comments :) 

14 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello,

Well I use turpentine and I was wondering if Something else can even be better.

I must confess that I like the smell of turpentine:undecided:,

Nice job and thank you.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ha! Don't we all :worry:

This does still have a whiff to it. SWMBO makes me open the window... spoilsport!

Will catch up on your thread shortly.

• Like 4

I guess if you're using Windsor & Newton oils you really got to use genuine turpentine, I done a fair bit of oil painting in my time. The smell in a studio is quite something. Intoxicating, you might say!

Other mediums used are linseed oil and combinations of the two etc. You've also got me reminiscing about doing etching prints, where you rub the ink all over the etched copper plate and then clean up the surface and put it through the press with the paper. The ink is held in the etched lines just like the panel lines you're so carefully tending! That ink was basically soot and oil (linseed?)

The good old days.....

• Like 2

Afternoon all, quick knowledge siphon - I'm not sure on the order of the IFF/recognition lights on the belly to the rear of the nose gear. About the only reference picture I can find is that of a fellow modeller but not wishing to doubt them, I'd like to test the order. So from from nose to tail RED, GREEN and AMBER? Is that accurate? 

Update soon on this weekends (slow) progress...

JB

• Like 1