5 hours ago, RichO said:

I'm glad you're not helping me build the Maz!!

:rofl2:

Aw come on you're just as daft mad silly as I am you just do it in a bigger scale. You would be splicing the rope/wire and fitting/making shackles.

Kev

• Haha 1

Okido, we are in business:

Based on the 3-5 ton derricks on the M.S. Ouwerkerk's rigging plan as included in the Shipbuilding book written by Gugelot and Helwig, 1962 edition.

Shrouds       30/40      Wire        0.15/0.2              Circumference 2"      breaking strength 15 tons

Ratlines         10         Natural     0.05                     Not mentioned, ladder on mast.

Topping Lift    25        Wire         0.125                  Circumference 3.75"  breaking strength 37 tons

Cargo wire      20        Wire         0.1                      Circumference 2.4"    breaking strength 14.5 tons

Guy pendant   12        Wire          0.06                  Circumference 2.75"  Breaking strength 19 tons

Guy tackle      12        Natural      0.06                   Wire on this ship Circumference 2.75" Breaking strength 19 tons

Forestay       20/25     Wire          0.1/0.125          Circumference 2" Breaking strength 15 tons

Bit difficult to scan the entire rigging plan, the mentioned rigging of the Ouwerkerk is probably more hefty than on the Puffer. The Ouwerkerk also uses two derricks in combination to discharge the cargo (one above the hold and one outboard above the quay).

Hope this is of some help,

;)

• Like 1

Julian you are a star !!

I can at least get everything in proportion now, I was certainly out with my guy rigging.

I found an indication on a drawing that the SWL of the Puffer derrick was 30cwt (1 1/2 tons)

Thanks again for your efforts, going to be useful in ongoing projects

Kev

23 hours ago, longshanks said:

The way the mental health service works (?) these days I reckon I'm safe for 5/10 years

Not really: for some time they have been sending their patients to BM until they get round to them. I'm living proof!

Martian (Currently engaged to a small rosebush)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian (Currently engaged to a small rosebush)

Either way your mrs is not going to be very happy with your statement.

' Martian engaged to a little gentleman's parts ' ...................  :D

Kev

• Like 2

All this information for the rigging will come in handy for my lightship rigging to  :idea:

A question from me about the fixing points for the main masts would they be attached to the deck or the inside of the deck wall/ fence not sure what it is called :think:

and how would these fixing points look would they be some kind of shackle or fixed eyelet or cleats

beefy the inquisitive :book:  

Hi Keith,

Hope you enjoyed Tenerife

Now you are revitalised it's time to crack to....

I think your asking about the shrouds (ropes either side running from near the top of the mast to the sides of the ship. Normally attached to the deck inside the bulwark (wall), shackled to a large eyebolt Via a bottle screw/ turnbuckle to adjust the tension. Looks wise you looking at something similar to my pic Friday @22:44 4th pic down.

Trying to find pic on the web to explain this better

Kev

35 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Hi Keith,

Hope you enjoyed Tenerife

Now you are revitalised it's time to crack to....

I think your asking about the shrouds (ropes either side running from near the top of the mast to the sides of the ship. Normally attached to the deck inside the bulwark (wall), shackled to a large eyebolt Via a bottle screw/ turnbuckle to adjust the tension. Looks wise you looking at something similar to my pic Friday @22:44 4th pic down.

Trying to find pic on the web to explain this better

Kev

Had a great time thanks Kev planning next one already  B)

Thanks for that info think I understand what you mean I think I might just have the right thing for it  :idea:

Cheers

Keith

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Either way your mrs is not going to be very happy with your statement.

Have you stopped to think how the rosebush feels?

Martian

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Had a great time thanks Kev planning next one already  B)

Got carried away when you mentioned this .... we over in the autumn and the other day we were talking about winter ,,,,

and well we will be out early in the new year :D

I told you lies whilst thinking about the sun. I've actually checked some pics instead of assuming, it looks like she had individual stays/shrouds to the four compass points depending on which pic you go with. The base fixing/adjusting will be as I said but no ladder effect

Sorry.

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Have you stopped to think how the rosebush feels?

Quite happy to say that no I haven't!

Harsh I know but there we are ....

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Martian engaged to a little gentleman's parts

I must say I loved the censored version

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, longshanks said:

Quite happy to say that no I haven't!

Harsh I know but there we are ....

Seems like we will be calling you "Longshanks Harsh But Not So Fair" in future then! The rosebush is decidedly miffed with you BTW.

Martian

(With apologies to Karen Brady)

• Haha 2

:rofl2:

8 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Seems like we will be calling you "Longshanks Harsh But Not So Fair" in future then!

More like longshanks lying on his back clutching his sides howling with laughter.........................

I know you're mad with me but it's lowercase l in longshanks, no blue blood here.

I'm pleased to say I had to look it up but for you lot out also not in the know

Karen Brody, The Love And Intimacy Coach

You really need to change your brand of glue, you are completely and delightfully insane.

There I bet that's the nicest thing anyone has said to you all week

Kev still laughing

• Haha 1

Just a small update after lots of experiments

Satisfied this is the best I'm going to get the shrouds, yes the one on the right

P1080385 (Copy)

and on the vessel

P1080386 (Copy)

oh and I've been painting up the shed on the back and if you look closely you can see the stays to the chimney

P1080388 (Copy)

As for soldering, believe me I tried and tried and tried and failed....

This is a combo of thread, fine wire a superglue

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 6

A splendid model :thumbsup: I am a big fan of the old Clyde Puffers. Would elastic EZLine maybe be a good scale rigging?

One of these days I will save up my pennies and buy the 1/32 kit of the Clyde Puffer from Caldercraft as I don't have the mad skills to build from scratch like yourself.

Glad you like it

56 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Would elastic EZLine maybe be a good scale rigging?

Do you know I'd completely forgotten about EZLine. Certainly be worth looking at for the running rigging.

No good for the standing rigging a you rigidity,

There are some nice Puffers out there aimed at the R/C market (Caldercraft/Mountfleet Models)

I really don't think it would be difficult to scratch build one in say 1/72 giving a model 11" long. Plenty of plans and reference material out there

Kev

Unfortunately I am too cack handed for scratch build one. I have looked at the Caldercraft one many times over the years and 1/32 is my preferred scale as I normally build Wingnut Wings WWI aircraft. I suppose I could see about buying a hull and build up from there as I reckon the hull is probably the most awkard part to create.