On 9/25/2017 at 3:46 AM, Bullbasket said:

It wasn't until I saw the photos alongside the pen that I realised the scale of this build.

likewise.   With the level of detail going on there I assumed it was much larger.

Can't wait to see it in the final frame - I love the scene - it really brings some life to the build

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

when), the lovely Yvonne finds out I will be pointing her in your general direction

I'm sure when the delightful, intelligent etc. etc. Yvonne finds out she will see it for what it is a great use of your spare time. As it keeps your brain and fingers nimble for whatever chore she might dream up ....  :whistle:

Are you going to give us a clue as to what vessel your planning?

@Bandsaw Steve So pleased you found the missing display / setting

Thanks Matey, I'm taking orders for a bright red box/cupboard clearly marked ' Safe Place ', I will come around to your house a fix it to the wall above your TV or Drinks Fridge. A lock will not be fitted ........ you know you will loose the key!

Thank you for your kind comments

Kev

• Like 1

just read from bow to stern. thank you again for the link answering my question @ kitmaker network. the display method is sheer genius. there was an 11,000 gallon koi pond on the estate. we'd muck it out in the spring and the water would be crystal clear. following week, the landscapers would mulch. within 3 days the water was brown as mud. owner could never figure it out.

some very naïve questions:

was the mast & boom simple a derrick for cargo?

were these ships ever converted to oil? (i'm sure a trained engineer could still make diesel "puff")

how did the Clyde become a VIC?

I have ordered one of the books linked for reference, and I am sure to prey on your kindnesses as my project gets underway. but first, I have a railroad to build!

thanks again; great looking ship.

Edited by s.e.charles

1 hour ago, southpier said:

was the mast & boom simple a derrick for cargo?

Yes. Can you imagine a hold full of coal shovelled into a bucket for unloading by 3/4 men.  Not my idea of fun

were these ships ever converted to oil?

Yes quite a few changed to diesel in later years.

how did the Clyde become a VIC?

WWII The admiralty need general duties craft to service larger craft in harbours/anchorages. They took the basic puffer and simplified the construction to speed up production and the VIC Puffer was born  "Victualing Inshore Craft".

I am sure to prey on your kindnesses as my project gets underway

No problem

Glad you enjoyed it

Kev

• Like 1

This is a wonderful result Kev! And a cracking way of displaying 'Barnacle' - what a great choice of name, so evocative.

Can you please let me know more about 'Peaty Water'? It looks really good, and I was trying for a browny-muddy water with one of my older builds a couple of years ago and was never really happy with my result!

Great work,

Ray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Speak to you tomorrow, head a bit thick (er) from General Anesthetic

Kev

Hope all is well with you Kev the little puffer is looking great in it,s true setting

beefy

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

I'm OK Keith, bit fuzzy yesterday. Minor op to repair jaw caused by the ineptitude of my dentist :swear:

21 hours ago, Ray S said:

Can you please let me know more about 'Peaty Water'?

Base used was clear acrylic sheet which helps to give extra depth.

Acrylic structure gel used to give ' water ' texture ' , dries clear

Acrylic modelling paste used to form bow wave/wake.

Colour used Humbrol Matt 170, built up in washes

Hope this helps....

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

Great job, and your propeller method was very effective as well.   I always wondered why they put the wheelhouse behind the funnel in many puffers.    The first ship that took my interest was the puffer Arran Rose, lying derelict in a small dock at Rothesay in the 1950s.   At that time there were quite a few around Rothesay, Gaul, Goth, Texan, Roman to name but a few.   They were often seen loaded with torpedoes for the submarine depot ship HMS Adamant out in the bay.

Bob

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thanks for the kind comments guys, much appreciated.

I'm OK Keith, bit fuzzy yesterday. Minor op to repair jaw caused by the ineptitude of my dentist :swear:

Base used was clear acrylic sheet which helps to give extra depth.

Acrylic structure gel used to give ' water ' texture ' , dries clear

Acrylic modelling paste used to form bow wave/wake.

Colour used Humbrol Matt 170, built up in washes

Hope this helps....

Kev

Thanks for that bit of advice Kev, it does look really good in the photograph.

Hope your jaw improves rapidly,

All the best,

Ray

Thanks for the support Rob, Ray & Bob

3 hours ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

I always wondered why they put the wheelhouse behind the funnel in many puffers

Pure speculation, would it have something to do with the height of the early vertical boilers and volume available at the stern?

Calling this finished .....

Final pics on RIP

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028118-clyde-puffer/

Cheers Kev

• Like 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thanks for the support Rob, Ray & Bob

Pure speculation, would it have something to do with the height of the early vertical boilers and volume available at the stern?

Calling this finished .....

Final pics on RIP

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028118-clyde-puffer/

Cheers Kev

Apparently it was to do with steering position on the gabbard barges that the puffers slowly developed from. 

Martian 

• Like 1

Hi Kev looks brilliant! You have inspired me to pick up the puffer as a subject for a few oil paintings again plus I am planning to get a Caldercraft Puffer kit in the future when I have the neccessary loot, unless of course, someone has one needing a new home.

The reason for the wheelhouse being behind/above the engine/boiler is simple logistics. The earliest puffers had no wheelhouse at all and were steered directly from behind the boiler room. Later on different owners had the boiler room roofed over and a basic bridge installed with this often being just a removeable canvas windbreak. The solid bulk of the boiler meant that the simplest way to bring the steering up above the engine was to put the wheel behind the boiler and funnel. With conversion to oil/diesel they had the opportunity to install steering to the forward area above the engine room.

They actually stopped being 'puffers' quite early on. The name was due to the early non-condensing engines that made a distinctive slow puff puff noise but these were quite soone replaced by more efficient and powerful engines. Some were already converted to oil burning before the outbreak of WWII but the admiralty ordered the ViC's to be coal burning as oil/diesel was in high demand for the war effort and the victuallers didn't need to be able to move fast. The conversion ruined the quaint look of the originals to my eye.

This is a great resource for anyone interested in the Puffers http://puffersandvics.org/

• Like 1

that's a great link; thanks.

another plethora o' questions:

what's a "funnel" 's  function?

not pouring through the link(s) yet, so maybe it will appear, but do we have an engine room layout? maybe more to the point, an engine room modeled?

i struggle (not only with the cost!), but the hull style which to get if I do build a Puffer. it would probably not be prototypically correct or of any specific ship, but a plausible adaptation. I've seen fiberglass full hulls for the RC guys and might go that route. if so, I would entertain a cargo hold and details of the "innerds", engine room, shipmates quarters, whatever was down there.

if I broke down and bought plans, more for study than copying, would the steering gear be depicted? and are one company's plans a better value over another? 

why is a coal stack different than a diesel stack? again, would plans show a cross section?

these are things I ponder, Mates.

thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beardie said:

You have inspired me to pick up the puffer as a subject for a few oil paintings again plus I am planning to get a Caldercraft Puffer kit in the future when I have the neccessary loot, unless of course, someone has one needing a new home.

Be sure and show your paintings on here, I for one love to see them.

Re your Caldercraft Puffer, great model but not cheap. How about Deansmarines 1/72  1/10 the cost? Very basic but a good base for detailing and a reasonable size.

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/10_11/products_id/182

Thanks for the explanation, clear now you've explained it.

another plethora o' questions:

Let Google be your friend ......

There is a huge amount of information available on various sights plus numerous books.

Frankly when you're on a boat modelling site, proposing to scratch build a vessel and you have to ask

what's a "funnel" 's  function?

I think you need to do a fair bit of research..

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

Hi Kev,

I have been giving some thought to the Deansmarine kit. There are two flavours to that kit, one with a basic hull and some bits for something around £30 and then there is a more complete kit which comes in over £100 but I think that the Caldercraft is the 'ultimate' kit of the puffer.

A funnel ....hmmm well it's basic function is to clear the smoke from the coal fire and direct it away from the view of the helmsman. The oil/diesl engine stack doesn't have to be as large as there is less smoke and it is coming out aft of the bridge so not obstructing the view forrard.  On Puffers it was possible to tip the funnel over on a hinge and the derrick also lowered so that the boat could go under the bridges on the Clyde in Glasgow city.

You will find explanations of much about the puffers on the Puffers and Vics website including engine specs and pictures. This website 

https://vic27.co.uk/

about the restoration of the Vic27 at Crinan number of good photos of engine room details on an average steam puffer and also gives a rare look at the aft cabin where the skipper and engineer bunked. The mate and 'boy' bunked in the bows. Very cramped and basic quarters.

As for plans I am sure they can be sourced.

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Let Google be your friend ......

There is a huge amount of information available on various sights plus numerous books.

Frankly when you're on a boat modelling site, proposing to scratch build a vessel and you have to ask

I think you need to do a fair bit of research..

Kev

granted. but a reread indicates I would not be attempting a scratchbuild nor an exact replica. I consider asking questions in an online forum as part of my research. if my questions are annoying, just don't answer.

that'll fix me!