Thanks for the tips Kev. The Trilight kit does look like a really sweet little model but it is a wee bit on the titchy side. I do have a 'basic' 'off the peg' model of a puffer that the wife bought me as a gift during a visit to the Denny tank museum at Dumbarton some years ago that I was toying with correcting. as it is not bad in general shape and sort of looks like a puffer but I think the Caldercraft 1/32 scale kit is probably the one to go for given my novice status in model ship building. I just need to rob a bank :ninja:

The Clyde puffer is a fascinating boat with many tales attached to it like the one of the puffer that beached on Arran and loaded up with Barium ore only to flood as the tide came in as the Captain, who had never carried barium ore before had ignored warnings about the weight/density of the ore, and filled her to the gunwales. Then there is the Kaffir run aground by a drunken engineer at North Harbour in Ayr and the wreck is still clearly visible to this day and the tale that the Mellite, which did the garbage run for the US Navy at Holy Loch, was secretly scuttled to lie quietly somewhere in the Clyde rather than allow her to go for scrap. The captains and crew loved these little boats, sorry Shups, as Peter (Para Handy) MacFarlane would have it.

Not certain but I believe the only true puffer ( as opposed to Inshore Victualler) that is still afloat is the Basuto which resides at Ellesmere Port.

• Like 2

Well you could do a fleet of the 'tribal' ones or the Glenlights ( when I was young my father was friends with the owners of Glen shipping although I only ever got on board the later coasters rather than the puffers).

For the tribals you could include the Basuto, Kaffir, Saxon, Cretan, Celt, Turk etc.

If you haven't been there before this is a good source of pics and stories about the puffers http://puffersandvics.org/puffer_index.htm

10 hours ago, Beardie said:

Well you could do a fleet of the 'tribal' ones or the Glenlights

Get behind me Satan :devil:

You know the score, I already need several extensions to my life to complete what I'd like to do.....

10 hours ago, Beardie said:

Another excellent site, thank you for that.

Kev

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 06:29, longshanks said:

Get behind me Satan :devil:

You know the score, I already need several extensions to my life to complete what I'd like to do.....

Then live longer, simples! Do I have to think of everything?

Mrs Martian decided she wanted to change our desktop wallpaper today and decided on this:

001.jpg

and then I found these:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I thought you might like them. I got eaten alive by midges taking these pictures as I leapt out of the car without applying any Skin so Soft in my excitement. Still, I thin on balance it was worth it!

Nibbled of Mars

• Like 3

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Nibbled of Mars !!  :rofl2:

I was going to say your Dear Lady had good taste but...............

Nice pics sorry you had to donate to the blood bank

Kev

I thought you would find the back story of the pictures amusing. To make you titter still further, the pictures were taken in 2014 and I still have a mark on one of my tentacles where a particularly vicious one of the little £%*&@#= bit me!

Scarred of Mars

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/20/2017 at 3:27 PM, Martian Hale said:

Then live longer, simples! Do I have to think of everything?

Mrs Martian decided she wanted to change our desktop wallpaper today and decided on this:

001.jpg

and then I found these:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I thought you might like them. I got eaten alive by midges taking these pictures as I leapt out of the car without applying any Skin so Soft in my excitement. Still, I thin on balance it was worth it!

Nibbled of Mars

Nice pictures Nibbled of Mars :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd better dismiss the ideas of my demise.

I have been struggling with my head :mental:

I got it in my mind that I could make 1/200 scale pulleys/blocks. The more rational modellers out there will appreciate that this is bordering on ridiculous. We are talking a diameter of 1mm by 0.4mm thick which needs to be supported and threaded. It may be possible but not by me.....

So I have decided that what we need are going to get is an impression of said pulley/block. See what you think, your thoughts would be appreciated

Jig for topping lift

P1080398 (Copy)

Gives you an idea of how I set up the mast

P1080399 (Copy)

Jig for guys and penants

P1080400 (Copy)

and erected.

P1080401 (Copy)

Obviously there is still work to be done but it gives you the idea

P1080402 (Copy)

It was only when I posted this that I realized I'd damaged the port guy rope :-(

Have been working on accessories. Coal holes, bitts, fairleads and rope on woodwork over steering gear

P1080404 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 6

Keep those lines taught and I think you will be fine. The blocks look fine in the pictures and seen at it's true size, they will certainly look the part.

Martian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

what do you use to tie off the guy ropes is it some kind of hook or one of those eyelets

No mate, that was my problem, trying to 1/72 modelling at 1/200......  the road to hell  ( I believe there might be a song in that line :winkgrin:)

If you look at the pic of the guys/pendants on the right, this was the original using wire and I had thought to drill a hole, feed wire tail and superglue. In fact I cheated and glued the bottom block to the bulwark but don't tell anyone

8 hours ago, RichO said:

Very nice indeed! Looks the part great.

Cheers Rich, I've realised at this scale it's look the part!

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Keep those lines taught

Thanks Martian

Just as well I've got to re do the lines. I was so busy getting them taught that the mast has taken on a bow to the stern. Fore stay will keep things straight.

4 hours ago, Ripaman said:

do you have Joe 90 glasses

Ta Rich

Yes! I need glasses for reading and I asked the Optician for reading x4 , no problem was his reply. Specsavers from £25 a pair or how much for optivisors etc. I also for close work hang a pair of x 4 in front.

Thanks again one n all

Kev

19 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Those blocks just set it off

Cheers Rob, I think I'm getting my head around what is needed at this scale

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

As  I predicted,

Thanks Martian, any chance of those elusive six numbers :winkgrin:

20 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I must say that wee puffer looks just grand!

Thank you kind sir

Cheers Kev

• Haha 1