Another swedish one ... CV90-40c

Hello gents,

a new project emerged on my bench last week ... I was wondering what I could do with the Hobby Boss CV90-40c kit and I figured I could try to replicate a swedish IFV in Afghanistan ;)

In fact, there's two main issues with this project : on the one hand the CV90-40c do have a GMPG mounted on the turret and there's nothing in the HB kit to represent this armament ... on the other hand, the IFV used in Afghanistan were equipped with a barracuda integral camo, so I'll have to reproduce that :huh:

Not an easy project, but I'll take my time and possibly do other kits meanwhile.

Here is the assembled hull and turret ... the quality is IMHO lower than the Academy CV90 I build recently ... particularly the PE that is relatively thick but still soft and thus difficult to work with. As the HB has a multiple parts barrel, I took the styrene barrel of the Academy kit ... a small modification and that's it ...

Another feature absent from the kit is the underbelly uparmor ... I made it with styrene, easy fix seen on a swedish modelling website !!

img_0474.jpg
img_0469.jpg
img_0470.jpg
img_0471.jpg
img_0472.jpg
img_0475.jpg
img_0473.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 6

Hello gents,

I see there's a lot of rivet's fans here ;) ... but in fact most of them won't even be visible as the hull and turret will be covered by a camo system.

Cheers, E

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gents ;)

small update for some small progress but long and hard work ... I first created a template of the upper hull panel, and then cut the panel that will receive the barracuda net.

Now I have to make the same job with the skirts and front armor ... and the turret, that will be even more complicated :huh:

By the way, it's a fun project ... I spend more time thinking than cutting but I found some interesting ideas I'll try in the coming weeks.

img_0476.jpg
img_0477.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 4

Hello John,

I don't know if I can post photos here, as I don't have the copyright ... so tell me if I'm outlawed :huh:

87410.jpg

The swedish CV90s in Afghanistan are covered with panels of MCS (Mobile Camouflage System) consisting of several layer of materials to limit the thermal signature of the tank, the last layer being a barracuda camouflage net ... so I am trying to reproduce that in 1/35th scale B)

The multiple layers will be represented by a layer of PVA soaked paper tissue (see previous post) that will also receive a coat of sand color paint ... and I will use a Tetra Model barracuda net, made of thin vinyl material.

So I have to draw and cut all the panels, then glue the barracuda net and lastly affix the panels on the tank ... straight and simple, in theory !!

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

Hello gents,

this build will undoubtedly be a slow process ... very slow :huh: ... remember I have to cover the whole tank with MCS panels, and also to build the MG mount, from scratch :o

At the beginning, I was also planning to scratchbuild the rear stowage box, but ended up using a resin one ...

img_0480.jpg

From time to time, I take a few minutes to make some progress ... I eventually cut almost all the panels, there's 25 of them and they are ready to receive the barracuda net.

img_0481.jpg
img_0512.jpg

... and here is the baraccuda netting I'll use. It's made of very thin but pretty resistant vinyl-like material, pretty nice in my opinion.

img_0513.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hello gents,

been a long time since this project was lasT updated ... time to go back to the bench :P

The main problem was the GPMG external mount that's not included in the kit and there's not a lot of photos of this specific gun mount ... so I did some research and ended up with some basic drawings to check the supplies and prepare the scratchbuilding session ...

img_0576.jpg

The mount will be no more than 14 mm high ... I'll need much patience and steady hands, I guess :huh:

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 2

Hello gents,

yesterday evening, I was thinking about a new project and discovered that the gpmg mount of the CV90 is very similar to the Strv103 TC's mg mount so now I have more pics for reference B) ... And my next project (after the several ongoing ones:mellow:) will be the famous S-tank, officially known as  Stridsvagn 103 ...

I ordered some evergreen supplies and refined the drawings and dimensions... hope I'll have time to work on it next week end.

Cheers, E

• Like 2

Well, you are certain thinking big, aka "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!". I do hope to see an update next weekend!

This Barracuda and MCS sounds interesting and difficult to implement, great approach there!

Prost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaubar said:

Well, you are certain thinking big, aka "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!". I do hope to see an update next weekend!

This Barracuda and MCS sounds interesting and difficult to implement, great approach there!

Prost

This project is a long process, progress are rather small ... like today, some work around the antennas of the turret, particularly the port side one that is mounted on a special device (the port side aerial base and the springs are from Leopardclub.ca)

img_0578.jpg

I also checked if I had enough barracuda net to cover all the panels ... seems OK so I sprayed some random brown camo blotches as seen on MCS panels B)

img_0577.jpg
img_0579.jpg

Next step is to affix the net to the panels ... I still haven't decided how I'll do that, several options :huh:

Cheers, E 

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 2

As they say, the devil is in the detail, and this has certainly got plenty. I know just hat you mean though. Adding all the etched brass can be a PITA.

John.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2017 at 5:00 PM, Etienne said:

this build will undoubtedly be a slow process ... very slow :huh:

Hahahahahah! Nowhere near as slow as one of my builds Etienne! Lovely work by the way, very clean!

Granto

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Etienne,

could i ask, what company produces the barracuda netting your using?

regards ozzy

Hi, will have to check ... in a few days when I'll be back home;)

5 hours ago, Valenstitch said:

Hahahahahah! Nowhere near as slow as one of my builds Etienne! Lovely work by the way, very clean!

Granto

I have to built the GPMG mount...not an easy task as I don't have your scratchbuilding skills and am still learning :P

Having said this, there is no hurry ... just fun B)

Cheers, E

• Like 2