Mephisto!

nuuumannn

A7V Sturmpanzerwagen survivor at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

24128167058_10b226d9d2_o.jpgDSC_5721

26203804799_77771774aa_o.jpgDSC_5726

39459037242_cc9b5312cb_o.jpgMephisto 2

25619685688_b95d8d7d6a_o.jpgMephisto 3

24128165718_1a8b1bb01c_o.jpgDSC_5737

This picture shows graffiti carved into it by the Aussie soldiers who captured it.

38780883104_434023ed99_o.jpgMephisto 6

Link to AWM images from whence these came: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147661871@N04/albums/72157665518037679/with/38780883104/

Edited by nuuumannn
  • Like 5

Temporary visit to Canberra, June 2015 to 2018. Will return to Queensland.

I remember this tank was parked outside the old Queensland Museum during the 1970's that was enclosed by a fence with a roof to protect it from the elements and when we visited it in that time as kids, we could stand on the top of that fence and try to peer inside the vehicle. And in the early 80's when it was moved to the new State Museum at South Bank it was left undercover, but still out in the open with the circular hatch at the rear of the tank was missing, so I managed to climb inside the vehicle ( at roughly 2am ) and was left wondering how this tank had a crew of 18 men to operate it. Must have been a really tight squeeze ! The tanks interior quite visible in the light in the alleyway where they parked it and in those days no security camera's and there weren't any other people around at that time of the morning but unfortunately I did not have my old camera with me at the time and I left the tank as it was after crawling around inside for a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

I recall seeing her at the old Qld Museum Gregory Terrace site in the late 70s, with the roof, but no fence. As I recall the hatches were open but there was mesh across them to keep the ferals out. And of course there's no way that my law-abiding-don't-make-a-fuss-and-do-as-you're-told parents would have let us in anyway. Last I saw her was at the South Bank site, in the glass case outside.

For those interested, there's a documentary in pre-production called 'Waltzing Mephisto' - might be worth chasing the Facebook page down and giving what support you can. And if you're chasing details for a model, the book by Mark Whitmore is a gem.

Can't wait until she's back in Brissy, where she belongs.

• Like 1

Can't wait until she's back in Brissy, where she belongs.

I think AWM in Canberra is a more appropriate location, all things considered. I remember seeing it years ago in Brisbane and it was shoved against a wall and behind a screen, making it very difficult to photograph. It will return to QLD sure enough, although I hope its displayed better.

10 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

I think AWM in Canberra is a more appropriate location, all things considered. I remember seeing it years ago in Brisbane and it was shoved against a wall and behind a screen, making it very difficult to photograph. It will return to QLD sure enough, although I hope its displayed better.

Disagree with you I do as its home is in Brisbane, Queensland and not in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. It was brought here from a battalion comprised mainly from Queenslanders and it should remain here in Queensland !

And Queensland is where, exactly? Australia. The AWM represents the efforts and treasures of ALL Australians. Not saying it should stay in Canberra, but that it belongs there as much as in Brisbane and its location there is more  appropriate considering its rarity and significance AND the fact that it is a war prize, akin to the Me 163, the Albatros D Va, Pfalz D XII, Bf 109, Me 262 to name a few already on display at AWM - a War Memorial.

Again, not saying it shouldn't be in QLD, but it is more appropriate in Canberra, it'll also be seen by more people from round the world.

3 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

Again, not saying it shouldn't be in QLD, but it is more appropriate in Canberra, it'll also be seen by more people from round the world.

So then would you suggest that the Australian Army & Artillery Museum in Cairns, Queensland or the Australian Army Tank Museum at Puckapunyal in Victoria or the RAAF Amberley Museum move their collections to Canberra where they could get more attention from overseas visitors than if left in their local destinations. Having the vehicles in Cairns, Amberley or Puckapunyal is a much better idea because it promotes tourism that is shared in the local community. Lumping all the artefacts in a single location is not tourism friendly. The AWM has its place, but having other military museums around the nation adds to their uniqueness of their various collections and shares in the money spent from people visiting from overseas.

And the Queensland Museum has a unique tank dating from the First World War in its collection and that is where it should be more appropriately located and is a matter of Queensland pride.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

If you cant decide guys and in the interests of peace and goodwill it could come to the tank museum at Bovington ????

Could get the RAF to pick it next time we are passing ??

14600km to visit something that belongs here? Tempting, but no thanks.

Hi Guys, just rejigged the images I posted in the first post, so they appear now - thanks to Flickr.

And the Queensland Museum has a unique tank dating from the First World War in its collection and that is where it should be more appropriately located and is a matter of Queensland pride.

Indeed it does. For the sake of maintaining good relations, I'll concede, but only because I'm in a good mood! :D I've got rellies in QLD, so I'm hoping the next time I get there to see them it'll be back in Brisbane.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...