My local airport

nuuumannn

Took my camera down to my local airport for a wee sortie. Still figuring out how to blur props with a nice feather finish and maintain crisp clear pictures.

DSC_1495_zps8ax08sq0.jpg

DSC_1511_zpskrt3h0un.jpg

DSC_1519_zpspx2szgxm.jpg

DSC_1552_zpsvtm0s2gc.jpg

DSC_1759_zpsf9t7tpkl.jpg

DSC_1671_zpsni44mcsu.jpg

DSC_1735_zpslthwn24o.jpg

DSC_1691_zpsicdaifvn.jpg

DSC_1591_zpsrbpb7wmz.jpg

DSC_1822_zps8v4fhuif.jpg

DSC_1810_zps22vowxyh.jpg

DSC_1812_zpstltv3txz.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

Beautiful sharp images with stunning scenery and wonderful light! The secret to blurred props is a slower shutter speed and panning the camera smoothly with the aircraft to blur the background, while maintaining a sharp subject.

If your camera has a shutter priority mode, select that and start at 1/250, which should give you some pleasing prop blur. As you grow in confidence with your panning, reduce the shutter speed to increase the prop blur.

I hope that helps.

Hi Alpha Delta, thanks for the advice, it's not the technique that's the issue, but the user! My panning needs practise, hence this sortie. I've got a couple of airshows to go to, so I'm getting in some practise beforehand. I've got a Nikon D5500, which is a nice wee thing, very light and mobile, fitted with a Sigma 600mm lens.

Lovely shots!

It's great to see some "proper" Dash 8 action. The 100, 200 and 300 series were all attractive while the current 400 series just doesn't do a thing for me. It's like they stretched it just a bit too far for the aesthetics of the design to keep up.

Nice shots there, I find that if I slow my shutter speed down to 1/250 to 1/125 then the props will blur nicely, you'll need to pan in order to get a sharp photo if the plane is moving though. The sigma lens have a os system that you can switch to assist with stabilisation whilst panning I believe that is the 2 position on the os switch. Anyway it is nice to see some photos of planes that we do not see in the UK.

Just adding my two penny worth. It will be a challenge to pan for shots like the "full frontals" because it isn't possible if coming directly at you or directly away from you. Give it a go.... good luck!

Martin

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just adding my two penny worth. It will be a challenge to pan for shots like the "full frontals" because it isn't possible if coming directly at you or directly away from you. Give it a go.... good luck!

Martin

If it's coming straight at you, you won't have to pan at all! You will have to get your focus point and depth of field right though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

The pics were taken at Nelson.

the current 400 series just doesn't do a thing for me. It's like they stretched it just a bit too far for the aesthetics of the design to keep up.

The Q400 is a very different bird and could be counted as a whole new aircraft with a different name. It's designed to fill a gap between the Q300 and jets in terms of performance, as it has long range and high cruising speed, although similar seating capacity to an ATR-72. More modern systems as well, like fitted to the ATR-72 600.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nuuumannn said:

Thanks guys.

The pics were taken at Nelson.

The Q400 is a very different bird and could be counted as a whole new aircraft with a different name. It's designed to fill a gap between the Q300 and jets in terms of performance, as it has long range and high cruising speed, although similar seating capacity to an ATR-72. More modern systems as well, like fitted to the ATR-72 600.

That's very true, the trouble is they've numbered it to belong to the Dash 8 family even if it is only nominally so.

Lovely pictures and thanks for sharing, I, Like you, are still learning my camera skills...very, very slowly. With reference to the first picture, no matter how technological and beautiful we make our flying machines, compared to natures triumphs we are still in the stone age , what bird of prey is it?

Hi, Headintheclouds, not 100 percent sure,  probably a hawk; it appeared quite suddenly, so I snapped away until I got something half decent. It's not real sharp as a result.

Edited by nuuumannn