Roden 1/35 M37 Truck

20 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Looks a very nice kit rob i like the engine detail and the canvas effect on the roof and seats, i shall unashamedly plagiarize that for the seats on the scammell,

Glynn

One thing I did on the roof canvas, used pva glue to mould first and then liquid poly to almost bond it to the piece.... Don't get it on the plastic that is on show tho.....

• Like 1

Beautiful work sir, simply beautiful. 

Before you get too far into this, sandbags were used to line the floor of nearly  every vehicle. The fear was from mines and what we now call IED's at ground level. Troops sat on their flak jackets to protect their "manly bits" from injury. 

.50 cal. gun mounts were usually a common pintle assembly welded to a tube of the appropriate height. Bracing was added "as needed". .50 cal ammo boxes didn't really change style until the mid '70's as I remember. Funny, as I was a machine gunner, but details such as those meant nothing to me then. I was mostly on a M60 though. Heavy bugger.

G

Edited by AgentG
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AgentG said:

Beautiful work sir, simply beautiful. 

Before you get too far into this, sandbags were used to line the floor of nearly  every vehicle. The fear was from mines and what we now call IED's at ground level. Troops sat on their flak jackets to protect their "manly bits" from injury. 

.50 cal. gun mounts were usually a common pintle assembly welded to a tube of the appropriate height. Bracing was added "as needed". .50 cal ammo boxes didn't really change style until the mid '70's as I remember. Funny, as I was a machine gunner, but details such as those meant nothing to me then. I was mostly on a M60 though. Heavy bugger.

G

Cheers G....

The image I am using as inspiration shows bags across the windscreen and on the right wheel arch.... Have assumed the left arch has them too.... Understand about the bags on the floor too. The m/g looks too high but any lower would foul on the roof support. I assume the gunner stood on something but no evidence so leaving it as is.....

Sheetmetal fenders could be pierced by shrapnel which could also come up through the engine compartment. Two logical places for your sand bags. I just wanted to make sure you didn't forget the floors!

Gunners all had their own preferences. Someone could have stood on an ammo crate or something similar. Leaving it out isn't a big issue. 

G

• Like 1

Progress.... Bit of line work and Matt varnish.... May leave it this weathered.... Sandbags need a little work as well but that can wait until the body work is all glued down

35275788224_c004d1d301_z.jpgIMG_20170723_122731 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

35275787294_683eef7c14_z.jpgIMG_20170723_122658 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

35982603061_4865f9601a_z.jpgIMG_20170723_122711 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

trying to complete this. doors on, spare wheel mounted.... need to add a few more small parts and paint the tools...

39380184542_4093f8e720_z.jpgIMG_20171231_164116 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

39410189011_a4ee69e885_z.jpgIMG_20171231_164129 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25540066258_9064372e81_z.jpgIMG_20171231_164140 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 3