Revell Spitfire MKIX.

Rick Brown

Would appear to be a new mould Rick , although Revell described it as " a conversion of the Spitfire II mould " at Telford . Much more than a conversion I would say.

Andrew

• Like 1

There's been some discussion on the Rumourmonger thread here 

and on Large Scale Planes.  Apparently, it's a "conversion" of Revell's Mk I / II.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1

I bought one yesterday and at first glance it looks very nice indeed. Quite a bit of flash on the mouldings, but it does look to be a good kit and they appear to have sorted out the rubbish wheels from the Mk.I.

I think that they may have missed a trick by not providing separate gun bay covers, but it is still a Mk.IX at a fraction of the price of the Tamiya kit.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Tony, thanks for those comments. 1/32 scale is not my usual scale but being a Spitfire, I may be interesting in picking one up. I have a small stash of 1/32 scale kits put aside in reserve for the day when old age dictates that my eyesight and/or dexterity will no longer allow the building of 1/72 scale models!

I am usually very reluctant to comment on a kit until I see it "in the flesh" for myself but I was just looking at the photos in the OP's link and could not help noticing a couple of things. I am unclear whether those pics are an actual finished model or CAD pics, but I suspect the former. The molded-in crowbar on the cockpit door looks truly awful (a tiny detail but it caught my eye immediately) and the canopy hood seems a little odd to my eye - seems a tad too high and/or oversized. Since you have the kit in hand, I'd really appreciate a comment on these points if you have time. Cheers, James.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Venables said:

Tony, thanks for those comments. 1/32 scale is not my usual scale but being a Spitfire, I may be interesting in picking one up. I have a small stash of 1/32 scale kits put aside in reserve for the day when old age dictates that my eyesight and/or dexterity will no longer allow the building of 1/72 scale models!

I am usually very reluctant to comment on a kit until I see it "in the flesh" for myself but I was just looking at the photos in the OP's link and could not help noticing a couple of things. I am unclear whether those pics are an actual finished model or CAD pics, but I suspect the former. The molded-in crowbar on the cockpit door looks truly awful (a tiny detail but it caught my eye immediately) and the canopy hood seems a little odd to my eye - seems a tad too high and/or oversized. Since you have the kit in hand, I'd really appreciate a comment on these points if you have time. Cheers, James.

The canopy looks OK to me but it is hard to tell until it is fitted. As for the side door, yes the crowbar is a little `basic' but you could add a scratch built one over the top or just close the door,..... so no major problem either way. The surface detail is nice too,..... I`ve started pre painting the interior of mine already!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I was wondering if the Alley Cat MKXI conversion would fit it......

I was talking  to the chap on the stand about it and we reckon just the chin piece could be an issue.

Anyone willing to try it??

Rick.

Thanks for those comments Tony. Pics can be deceiving, so I was just looking for a confirmation.

Re the crowbar: as I said, it is only a tiny detail but my eye was drawn to it. That said, it was probably the incorrect red colour of the crowbar that initially caught my attention more than the simplified representation. I suppose there is a reasonable chance the Barracuda resin parts for the Tamiya Mk.IX will fit this kit... or can be made to fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Venables said:

Thanks for those comments Tony. Pics can be deceiving, so I was just looking for a confirmation.

Re the crowbar: as I said, it is only a tiny detail but my eye was drawn to it. That said, it was probably the incorrect red colour of the crowbar that initially caught my attention more than the simplified representation. I suppose there is a reasonable chance the Barracuda resin parts for the Tamiya Mk.IX will fit this kit... or can be made to fit.

The Barracuda side door that I have fitted to the Mk. II version (without crowbar) is just a tad oversized width wise but a couple of swipes with a sanding stick would sort it, as I am modelling it open I will not be bothering.

The other Batrracuda parts for the Revell Spitfire Mk.II fitted great and look good.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

I’m amused that the box artist has shown a TR9 HF aerial suitable for a Battle of Britain plane but luckily the tool maker / designer ignored that but then the sample builder has tried to install such an aerial even though the parts don’t suit!

Looking forward to receiving my copy of the kit before long…I think my pilot will be demanding a bit more spit’n’polish on his kite than the sample model.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Can anyone with the kit tell me if there's any alternative part that may hint at other variants ? I'm thinking in particular of the later pointed rudder, wouldn't mind converting one of these into an VIII. (of course aftermarket companies will come to the rescue soon if the pointed rudder is not included)

• Like 1

Pointed rudders might be available as spares from Tamiya or PCM kits already.  I've got one on order here in the USA, but by the time I get mine you'll all be sick of hearing about the kit (supposed to be late April).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Can anyone with the kit tell me if there's any alternative part that may hint at other variants ? I'm thinking in particular of the later pointed rudder, wouldn't mind converting one of these into an VIII. (of course aftermarket companies will come to the rescue soon if the pointed rudder is not included)

I believe the pointed rudder is in the box.  Phil.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

I was wondering if the Alley Cat MKXI conversion would fit it......

I was talking  to the chap on the stand about it and we reckon just the chin piece could be an issue.

Anyone willing to try it??

Rick.

Yes, I'm considering that route too; doesn't look too difficult, but time will tell.  If it proves too difficult and ends up as bin fodder, at least I won't have wasted a very expensive Tamiya.

It seems to be the Mk II kit with new sprues for the fuselage, wings and Mk IX-specific bits.  Only four-spoke wheels are included (some very early IXs had five-spoke ones) and they do look to be an improvement on the Mk IIa.  It also looks as though they've fixed the shape issues with the Mk II fuselage, but I'll reserve judgement until I've got the bits out of the bag.

• Like 1

For anybody who is interested,......I started to put my Revell 32nd scale Spitfire Mk.IX together tonight and this is how it looks so far,......I`m pretty happy with the shape but some plastic card shims were needed to cover gaps in the rear of the wing root and also under the wing tips.

I think that it was James asking about the canopy fit so I have dry fitted it here with tape to hold it down and it is fine,.....it just springs upwards if it is not held in place, so just glue it down firmly!

DSCF9969_zpsg3rk5b27.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edit- I meant to add that Revell have omitted the armour plating for the rear of the pilots seat so I`ll be making this from plastic card.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Those bloody postwar wheel bumps again!

I've got a PR.XI conversion inbound, too (finally!) so I'll be eager to do some comparison of the IX to the II and so on...

So Tony, look for it on RFI in a week or so? ;)

bob

• Like 2

If anybody is still interested,.....here is my Spitfire, the post war wheel bumps have been marked out in black pen and are being filed away while the armour plate has been made from plastic card and is ready to be painted and fitted to the pilots seat;

DSCF9970_zpskxe4xjpk.jpg

DSCF9972_zps0jctq27x.jpg

I might change the wing tips to clipped ones,......I`ve not fully decided upon a scheme yet.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Cheers lads, it is well worth £30,...... I`ve started a WIP on this model,.....better late than never,...... if anybody wants to follow it,

All the best

Tony

PS- Jim, the box art has a lovely RCAF Spit on it,......just for you mate;

03927.jpg

Edited by tonyot

Excellent work Tony you convinced me to pick one up.

If anyone's up for one Models4Hobby are knocking them out for £20.69 with free delivery and using this month's discount code which is NLG10!

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimHead23 said:

Excellent work Tony you convinced me to pick one up.

If anyone's up for one Models4Hobby are knocking them out for £20.69 with free delivery and using this month's discount code which is NLG10!

Regards

Jim

Cheers Jim,.....guess what I`m buying now!!

Tony

Edit,.....nah,......sold out!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1