1/48th Monogram Harvard Mk.III, RNAS Hal Far Station Flight, Malta late 1940`s

Hiya Folks,

Yes I know,.....another Harvard,..... this time a Mk.III if the Fleet Air Arm based with the Station Flight at RNAS Hal Far, Malta in the late 1940`s.  Here is the photo that started it all off;

Harvard%20911-HF_zps3fed3vgq.jpg

And here is my rendition in model form;

harvard%2017_zpscwftadqh.jpg

harvard%204_zpssanwpffo.jpg

harvard%201_zpsztdjoueu.jpg

harvard%2015_zpsy548s5xm.jpg

harvard%209_zpsaod1sg79.jpg

harvard%2013_zpsqm0ocmu5.jpg

harvard%206_zpspcsfblrf.jpg

harvard%208_zpsng84pqfm.jpg

harvard%2012_zpszw5nrlbm.jpg

harvard%2011_zpsan45wntg.jpg

From the photo it appears that the fabric covered control surfaces still wear camouflage finish along wth some of the engine ancillary bay side panels, so they either came from another aircraft and have been refitted to this natural metal aircraft,...or have yet to be doped/painted silver to match the finish of the rest of the aircraft after it has been stripped to bare metal, although judging by the position of the fuselage roundel and the fact that the narrow North American company serial `font' is in situ it would seem that it was in fact delivered in a natural metal scheme.

For the silver finish on the model I used rattle can Tamiya Bare Aluminium while everything else was brush painted using Humbrol acrylics which were slightly thinned down to make them easier to apply. After a coat of gloss varnish for the decals, the model was brushed using satin varnish to slightly dull down the sheen.

Thanks to my mate Ian Campbell for the artwork which allowed the decals for the 911 codes to be printed and also for providing me with a spare prop and wheel to replace those missing from my kit,......cheers fella!

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 50

Hi Tony,

What a beauty of a Harvard ! And a sailor's one, in Malta.

Shame on me, I did'nt know that it has ever existed.

Very nice, shiny rendition of the original.

Must find a third Monogram T-6 :D:rolleyes:

Congratulations, pristine job

Go Navy go !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Cheers lads,..... so glad that you like it, thanks for your kind words,

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Another lovely Harvard Tony :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Nothing the matter with another Harvard Tony & this one's an absolute cracker, what a fabulous scheme it has. I've got a few to build myself in my favourite scale come the day but after seeing this, I reckon I might have need another Harvard kit. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, camper1 said:

Didn't take you long to fit that wheel and prop,I only left it with you at 3.30 yesterday.

Have you nothing else to do?

Ian

NO!!

1 hour ago, camper1 said:

Time you did.

Well we had a nice meal in a country pub on the way home yesterday, but boy I`m suffering for it today and I`m well and truly grounded!  

Cheers again mate

Tony 

Thanks everybody for your very kind comments, they are all very much appreciated, It was nice to replicate another scheme that I have fancied doing for years

Cheers

Tony