Hoofddorp

I was on Facebook the other day when a picture appeared that I had to look at several times to figure out if it was real or a model.  The shot was of an F-84 of the RNLAF at the technical facility at Hoofddorf.

This is the picture in question, posted with the kind permission of Stephan Lodewijks who posted it:

zF82cmV.jpg

Googling I found a couple more links to reference photos

250px-ROCSchiphol_generalview.jpg

012.jpg

Now I couldn't help thinking that Stephan's original photo would make a nice little diorama for posing models .  It would need some jacks and some of the ladders I already have.  So, out with the cardboard....

GY1pKy0.jpg

Not a great photo, but you get the idea.  Concrete floor to paint & mark up.  Concrete walls to paint.  Walkway, doors, handrails etc

And then put a model in front.  Ok, no roller doors yet so just an open end, but very roughly the same kind of position as the F-84

sCiLwVI.jpg

Well I think it might work.  Lots to do

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

I have to agree.... it's very hard to tell if those are real aircraft or models set in a superb diorama. I am sure someone could pull off the 'trick'. Maybe you can. Good luck!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Just put a sheet of card up where the door will be and posed the F-5 again with the existing sets of ladders etc.  Will be interesting to make some stands up & other kits

hhZn9Z3.jpg

Must dig out the Dutch F-16 too

Edited by bar side

3 hours ago, Major_Error said:

This could be a good idea. The location can be used for several types of models. "Reusable", the modern popular word!

I also noticed that the planes were stuffed together. That is also a better solution for models...

8-D

That's the idea - to make a scene to pose models in rather than a fixed model. Like I do with my HAS.  Trouble with the HAS is that it generally need a back scene, whereas this is self contained. Could make it Dutch one day, USAF another and RAF another time.  And hopefully there will be room to squeeze in about 3 aircraft at a time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of marking out the floor squares & making up the finish for the walkway.  The hand rail is about where it should go & will need to make up a jig to solder it together with uprights.  The bloke is there to check the rail height

bXHfaGa.jpg

The marks on the wall are for the columns.  Stuck them in to test size

ercexnp.jpg

Now the columns have vertical strip lights on them.  I have a plan, as Baldrick was keen on saying.  It involves tile spacers.

0DWdbm9.jpg

I'll have to see how this will go.

Edited by bar side

So I slotted one of the cut down tile spacers in to the cardboard column, then mocked up a cardboard back to poke an led bulb through.  Looks something like this

9rU64j5.jpg

And this is where the columns sit.  Slots cut in the bottom 3 so far, not done the top ones yet.  All in with bluetac.  I would quite like to paint the back wall with columns in but before the balcony goes in.  Post-its for approximate door spacing

yR3hMUy.jpg

Edited by bar side

Had a go at the main doors with a card covered with the less shiny side of aluminium foil.  Then a frame over it made from card.  Thinking of taking it off & spraying it black, although the dark green of the card looks quite good

Hjc3Lby.jpg

I was going to paint the back wall slightly beige-ish colour but I quite like the grey card / concrete look.  Would save a load of time to just glue it up now.  Then I can get on with the lights, hand rails, doors and fittings.

Edited by bar side

Today has been about sticking stuff together.  The columns and walkway are stuck in, along with the door frame.  I have tested the lights and the downstairs ones are working.  Got the door frame wrong - missed out the parallel upright, but it doesn't look too bad.  Need to get the soldering iron out & work on the walkway hand rail, and start making some doors up.

RHK3G2Y.jpg

q0ultAv.jpg

Edited by bar side

mOSome doors made up ready for fitting

WP_20170416_23_22_11_Pro_zpscy5cd8cf.jpg

and had a go at soldering up the hand rail

WP_20170417_13_01_19_Pro_zpshjupyqbh.jpg

Put the Dutch F-16 in as there is a sister aircraft to this at Hoofdorp

WP_20170417_13_01_50_Pro_zpsva5ydkhd.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 5:22 PM, hendie said:

What did you use for the floor ?

Cheers Hendie - floor is just stock card with pencil drawn grid squares and a light dust over with grey/black/white rattle can

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

As Hoofddorp is an engineering facility and the aircraft are often seen up on stands, I thought I should try to make up a couple of stands.  Well 3 eventually, but 2 so far.  Just a bit of plastic tube & some left over sprue but at a distance looks ok

WP_20170422_21_47_43_Pro_zpsronqyje7.jpg

• Like 2

I finished off the 2 jacks / stands and added a third of a different type.  So time to set up the diorama.  First up with a Dutch F-16

WP_20170427_10_06_24_Pro_zpslftze0mg.jpg

WP_20170427_10_06_31_Pro_zpsiwagyj8x.jpg

I have added wires going to the light fittings, but still need to add the little bits like a fire hose & alarm call points

Now the Jags are retired at Cosford I though I would see how one would look inside for engineering training 

WP_20170427_10_11_38_Pro_zpswnhpybbc.jpg

WP_20170427_10_13_39_Pro_zpsc68kyifr.jpg

• Like 1

A few more cold war jets from the RAF taking up residence today

20170504_141821_zpsebzxtaim.jpg

20170504_141901_zpsjy9zptcr.jpg

20170504_141946_zpsu5nqvcrr.jpg

And a visit from my latest build.  Still in the works, so why not sit it in the works?

20170504_133828_zpslwzgrwyp.jpg

• Like 3