1/48 HobbyBoss EF-111A 'Raven'

Ghostbase

Time to stake my intention to build the 1/48 HobbyBoss EF-111A 'Raven' (but known as a 'Sparkvark' to me).

Just over two years ago I completed their similar F-111A kit and in spite of my occasional shortcomings the end result was impressive. I know there are accuracy issues with the HobbyBoss offering however I can live with them and I am hoping that I can learn from my last build and put together a reasonable 'Sparkvark' model. I do have an Eduard F-111 engine photoetch set, also part of an F-111A Interior set. I also have an ancient Superscale EF-111A Lo Vis Gray Stencil data decal sheet and I will use this to supplement the kit decals.Will probably build 66-0013 operated by the 429th ECS / 27th FW out of Incirlik, Turkey in 1994.

Not going to start yet as I am 2/3rds way through building the excellent Airfix H.P. Victor B.2 however as soon as I commence painting that I will start this kit. On to the photos:

IMGP3905size_zpslh2glbii.jpg 

IMGP3902size_zpslfyho1m1.jpg

IMGP3903size_zpsvcrifnxn.jpg

IMGP3904size_zpszygr5vnk.jpg

Michael

• Like 4

welcome aboard Michael and nice to see a Raven in the build.

The HB model does look to be quite popular for this GB and I see you have a few extras as well. The only real down side to the model is the instrument panels, the kit ones are well......a bit rubbish. The Eduard AM ones are pretty good but unfortunately nothing is available for the EF. If you're not too worried about it you can get away with using the A's IP. There was not a lot of difference between the EF's original and avionics update one, just the Nav panel replaced. Anyway have a look at some photos and see you'll see what I mean, it's a minor thing to the whole model.

Good luck with the build, I hope it's an enjoyable build and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The HB model does look to be quite popular for this GB and I see you have a few extras as well. The only real down side to the model is the instrument panels, the kit ones are well......a bit rubbish. The Eduard AM ones are pretty good but unfortunately nothing is available for the EF. If you're not too worried about it you can get away with using the A's IP. There was not a lot of difference between the EF's original and avionics update one, just the Nav panel replaced. Anyway have a look at some photos and see you'll see what I mean, it's a minor thing to the whole model.

Thanks for the comments Rich, I had already looked in the Big H for Eduard AM for the EF however, as you say, there is nothing there. I think I will order the Eduard full F-111A Interior SA set and use that because the open cockpit will be the main focal point of the kit. I was going to keep the avionics doors closed on this build but will show the radar - it is the only way I can get the finished model in the display cabinet!

Michael

• Like 1

You'll be fine with the A model IP. If you wanted and were feeling game you could clop it up and make the EF one! A wee bit of work but very doable....once you get over the thought of cutting up the Eduard one! :yikes:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cool - I have an Academy Im thinking of doing in the Upper Heyford scheme for the Op El Dorado Canyon mission  - I have some old aftermarket XtraDecals, think the kit is the CC Cannon markings!

Will watch your build with interest

• Like 1

I'll give you a small hint with these for parts 32, the instruction arn't very clear on how these are actually fitted. They actually go either side of the small hole/depression in that location. That hole is actually a drink storage location. One of about 6 location in the cockpit where you can stash an 1125ml bottle of booze! Our flight crews perfected the booze carrying locations on the F-111! :D

Oh and parts 33 & 35 are the work of Beelzebub!!! :devil: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...