1:72 Airfix De Havilland Vampire T.11

Having been lucky enough to see the Vampire flying at Wellesbourne last year, I was keen to have a go at recreating the little rocket myself (my son too, as it's one of his favourite planes). I've have begun painting the cockpit of the Airfix Dehavilland vampire T.11, adding some minor details to the sides and weathering to the floor and seats, ejector seat handles painted (using fuse wire), awaiting attachment once the seats are secure. Finished painting the pilot and trainer last night (using the closest colour paints I have in my collection), after beheading the trainer and re-fixing his head so he looks like he is observing his trainee. Updates to follow as I progress.

DSC_1591

DSC_1592

DSC_1590

• Like 3

Cockpit fitted together today and pilot and trainer rather snuggly secured in place. The instrument panel was a bit of a squeeze, but is finally secured into place. I have also added some ejector seat pulls, I made by painting fuse wire. Air intakes painted and glued together and weight superglued into the nose, so far so good.

DSC_1606

DSC_1607

• Like 3

Small amount of progress over the last few days. Canopy masked and painted, cockpit, complete with pilots and ejector handles still in place are now fitted nicely in the fuselage. I've added some filler to the central join to make it nice and smooth.

DSC_1610

Ive also built the tail section, (following airfix instructions), I'm hoping this wasn't a mistake as with out a tiny spirit level it's hard to ensure its perfectly straight..... Fingers crossed! 

DSC_1609

• Like 3

On 05/04/2017 at 18:39, Grandboof said:

Good start Any thought as to markings? Will be watching 

Martin H

Thanks Martin, I'm going with the markings of WZ507 as I've had the pleasure of seeing that aircraft in the flesh. Masking is proving a bit fiddly tho!

Michelle. 

Made a bit of progress over the last couple of days. I've fitted the wings and tail to the fuselage, was quite a fiddly job to get everything lined up nicely. I've decided to go with the markings of WZ507, and began masking off to paint the yellow sections (as previous attempts at masking Humbrol silver has resulted in disaster). The masking has been tricky as the tail boom is in the way, as are the struts on the undercarriage. I'm still not convinced they are perfect, but have painted a yellow layer and done a spot of pre shading. 

DSC_1619

DSC_1620

DSC_1621

• Like 4

Great show so far!

I like your adventurous side, like beheading the pupil... It shows initiative!

I would advise to paint a white undercoat before applying colors like yellow, red, etc.

Are you planning to brush paint the aluminium color, or use a rattle can?

Promising start!

JR

This has gone together nicely and quickly too.

The figures look great; very nice painting.

Looking forward to the silver.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jean said:

Great show so far!

I like your adventurous side, like beheading the pupil... It shows initiative!

I would advise to paint a white undercoat before applying colors like yellow, red, etc.

Are you planning to brush paint the aluminium color, or use a rattle can?

Promising start!

JR

Hi Jean, Thanks for your comments. I will try white under yellows and reds in future as the never go on that well. I'm going to attempt to brush paint the silver, I did that on a Mustang and although it gave me a headache to begin with it looked ok in the end. Fingers crossed.

Michelle 

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Jean, Thanks for your comments. I will try white under yellows and reds in future as the never go on that well. I'm going to attempt to brush paint the silver, I did that on a Mustang and although it gave me a headache to begin with it looked ok in the end. Fingers crossed.

Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

with metallic colors, the deal is to use very diluted paints (in the 20 to 30% dilution region) and brush several coats. Never come back on a section you have painted until it is thoroughly dry. So it may take 3 to 4 coats, but that way there won't be no thicknesses nor brush marks.

Patience is the name of the game.

The same applies with white paint, and if the white is used as an undercoat, you will not notice a few brush strokes in the white after you have painted the yellow, red, etc...

As they say, practice makes perfect!

Have fun!!!

JR

• Like 2

Back to it today after an Easter break, doesn't look that different but I have gloss coated the silver using Quick Shine, and removed the masking from the yellow detail.

DSC_1671

i have also attempted to attach the canopy. Attempt being the operative word as it doesn't fit snuggly at all, however, after several attempts (the pieces kept flicking off!) and with alot of pressure upon the middle section, I have managed to secure it into place with only a small gap in places....now to decide whether it's worth filling the gap🤔

DSC_1672

• Like 3

Really starting to shine . Have you tried Humbrol Clearfix ? I have had some positive results on clear part gaps with it . Thanks for sharing 

Martin H

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Really starting to shine . Have you tried Humbrol Clearfix ? I have had some positive results on clear part gaps with it . Thanks for sharing 

Martin H

Thanks for that tip Martin, I haven't tried it but it sounds like it could solve my problem.

Michelle 

Hi there,

it all looks rather good!

Clearfix is a good option in your case.

Plan B would be in the future to glue the canopy before you start painting. That way, you can fill in all the gaps without messing the paint job. A canopy well blended with the fuselage looks a lot better than one that appears just dropped on the fuselage, especially around the windscreen. This comment does NOT mean that your canopy does not look good!

I really like what you are creating.

JR

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi there,

it all looks rather good!

Clearfix is a good option in your case.

Plan B would be in the future to glue the canopy before you start painting. That way, you can fill in all the gaps without messing the paint job. A canopy well blended with the fuselage looks a lot better than one that appears just dropped on the fuselage, especially around the windscreen. This comment does NOT mean that your canopy does not look good!

I really like what you are creating.

JR

Hi Jean, Thanks for your comments. I've looked at it again this morning and I agree using filler will ruin my paint job and make for more hard work. I will try the Clearfix, and will fix the canopy onto the La-7 I'm also making before painting the aircraft. I joined this forum to get good advice, that will make my modelling better so I really appreciate your advice👍

Thanks Michelle. 

• Like 1