*Finished* The First Spitfire Rareplanes Supermarine 224

7 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Looking good Pat and learning lots here.:popcorn:

In my mind, I have notions of doing a vacform build sometime...who know, you might actually put me off it!!! :D

Cheers,

Dermot

Hi Dermot

Sorry mate that was never my intention, this Vacform stuff is all new to me I can assure you !

You can't believe the sense of achievement when despite you thinking bits would never fit, you think of a way to make it happen :fight: or :pray: whatever works for you !

Go on give it a go, the worst that happens is they end up on the shelf of doom with all the injection kits :rofl:

PM me if you want a Vacform to experiment on :evil_laugh:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this kit in my stash for 20 years, but have never dared to touch it. I doff my cap to you for making the leap and getting off to such a good start. I'm following!

Justin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 10:03 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks for all the encouragement Tony, are you back to building yourself yet ?

Hello Pat,

I think we're at the same stage.

I need to write a lot on my thread, I have the modelling mojo, but not so much for the word processor; I just need to get typing.

Like you, I've been experimenting with black and shiny stuff.

I settled on Alclad, but put the base gloss coat on too thickly (I think), so it developed a rippled effect. Micromesh next...

I leave it a week to dry; probably excessive but in the past (different climate) I couldn't get it to dry at all.

The AK interactive 'Xtreme Metal' paints are good, I've given a couple a try and think I'll use them instead of Alclad next time, just to compare. They go on nicely.

I'll update my thread soon so you can see my 'ripples'!

Hope you're having more success than I am :)

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

I've just come across this thread Pat and am very pleased to see that you are finally building your first vac form.  Excellent!

Cliff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the time between this and the last post

I have been experimenting with silvers, and I think it's been a bit of a waste of time to be honest as despite using 5 different Humbrol paints I can only see the difference with 2 of them ! :clif: is likely the problem !

IMG_3452

Forgive the dodgy looking prop, I'm having a few problems with that bit !

IMG_3453

IMG_3454

As you can see, quite a bit of tidying up required, canopy / windscreen to fit, Ariel cable to fit, decals......

Running out of time......again ! :frantic:

cheers Pat

• Like 6

It looks rather splendid to me Pat :thumbsup: .

The silver finish works well, all detail quite clear and not too 'shiny shiny', just 'right'.

I still have to take the plunge with a choice of silver for my build, top marks for getting stuck in. I'm sure it's possible that it's possible (for me) to overthink them. They look so very different on the very same airframe from different angles too.

This has built into a nice sharp model. all credit to the original masters and to you for doing it justice.

The finish line is very much in sight, few stickers, bit of stretched sprue, you'll be ready for a cup of tea and a Hobnob! 

Onwards and upwards, like a ferret up a drainpipe :hobbyhorse: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

This evening I was doing some internet surfing ( no nothing inappropriate thank you ! :dull: ) with a view to finding out more about Vacform kits and RAREplanes in particular.

Rareplanes has a fascinating history, which if you don't know it, please open the link below as it is written by Gordon Stevens, the great man himself.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4305

I would therefore like to dedicate my rather modest build of this, one of his earliest kits to the late great Gordon Stevens, thank you everything you did to make our hobby so much better.

cheers Pat

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there...

IMG_3471

Decals on, the observant will notice 2 things

First the decal on the tail is missing as all the numbers and letters are too big, to fit.

Second, I annihilated the windscreen when trying to remove it from the Vacform sheet, I have therefore replaced it with a bespoke replacement fashioned from a plastic Irn Bru bottle ! 

IMG_3472

As you can see the tail skid has yet to be made and fitted, can you guess what it's going to be made from ..... ?

IMG_3473

Yes you guessed it copper wire salvaged from old house wiring, it should look ok once the silver paint has been plastered whoops lovingly applied ;)

Hoping the paint will dry tonight so I can apply a coat of Klear. The metalcote paint seems to want to lift with the slighted contact, hopefully the Klear will stop all that

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

It's a real beauty Pat :worthy: 

I didn't know Gordon was gone :(

He made so many superb kits. I have the second version of his Beech Staggerwing, it looks very good, you're really inspiring me to get scribing, snapping and glueing with a few braces.

I like vac because sometimes it allows better scale thickness. IM can be too chunky. Some vacforms like Rareplanes, Broplan, Esoteric can give a better 'scale' result (IMHO) than IM.

You've really done this justice, a wonderful tribute to a true world first and true Britmodeller; Gordon 😊.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow it is looking good! Nearly there - and time to choose your next vac build ;)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

I have already chosen my next Vacform build, it's for the flying boat and floating planes GB which starts later this year

IMG_3480

Its a bit bigger than this Rareplanes kit ! 

I might have to start cutting the parts out now :frantic:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It's a real beauty Pat :worthy: 

I didn't know Gordon was gone :(

He made so many superb kits. I have the second version of his Beech Staggerwing, it looks very good, you're really inspiring me to get scribing, snapping and glueing with a few braces.

I like vac because sometimes it allows better scale thickness. IM can be too chunky. Some vacforms like Rareplanes, Broplan, Esoteric can give a better 'scale' result (IMHO) than IM.

You've really done this justice, a wonderful tribute to a true world first and true Britmodeller; Gordon 😊.

Best regards

TonyT

Thank you very much Tony

Your continued encouragement is a big part of why I have actually finished this build, :thanks:  a rarity for me I can asssure you  :winkgrin:

I will upload the finished pictures today and pop them in the gallery.

Its a very "soft" day here in the highlands, local code for lashing down with rain and gale force winds, still it could be a lot worse.

Mrs Jockney is at the Tiree Music festival in a tent with some friends ! If any one from Canada is reading this can you keep an eye out for her, after all the tent is a new one and I would like it back :wicked:

Cheers Pat

Hi everyone 

Im calling this one finished, can I thank everyone for the encouragement, support, advice and kicks up the bottom all of which arrived at just the right time and frequency to get me to complete this :clap2: :worthy:

Photos below, and I will pop them in the gallery, it's been that long since I finished one in time I'm going to have to read the instructions ! :rofl:

Cheers Pat

IMG_3474

IMG_3476

IMG_3477

IMG_3478

IMG_3479

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Well done Pat, your first vacform - a great achievement in itself, and a great model as result.

Now join me, as one of those still waiting to start the second vacform :-)

Thanks very much TPS

If you look further up this thread you will see the next Vacform awaits........and it's a biggie !

cheers Pat

On 21/07/2017 at 7:14 PM, CliffB said:

My heart-felt congratulations Pat :goodjob:

Cliff

(looking forward to your flying boat....)

Thanks very much Cliff, mine looked easy compared with the fight your one put up in this GB :fight:

Yes the flying boat is likely to be a test of endurance, slightly worried I might need to reinforce the shelf of doom, which contains an unfinished Stranraer & Sunderland already !

What are you building next, and will we be seeing you in the Flying Boat & Float Planes GB ?

Cheers Pat

Very nice! I never heard on this type. This is "first Spit" like a Dewoitine 500/510 are precursor of 520, similarity is obvious I think...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks very much Cliff,

What are you building next, and will we be seeing you in the Flying Boat & Float Planes GB ?

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I've got a couple of projects lined up for the Radial Engines Rock GB (first up is a Farman F.190) and then a Breda 25 float plane for that GB.

See you later!

Cliff

• Like 1